You are not logged in.

#1 2008-05-26 18:36:11

Squallcw

Trouble with my new ATI Radeon graphics card

Hello.

Today I installed Arch Linux on my PC. I wanted to run Xorg and needed the ATI graphics drivers. I read that the open source drivers aren't fast as the properietaries are. So I decided to choose the properietary one.
First I tried to install from the Arch Repositories (pacman -Sy catalyst catalyst-utils) but I got an error:

fglrx: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:1:0:1)

After this I downloaded the .run-Script from ati.com. Whil starting X I got the same error as before:

fglrx: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:1:0:1)

I checked my xorg.conf twice and it seems that there's everything is okay. But there's something I don't understand: In the config, the BusID is set to 1:0:0 and in the error message it uses 1:0:1.
lspci|grep VGA showed me the following information:

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV410 [Radeon X700 Pro (PCIE)]

It says that I have a PCIExpress card? But I don't have! It is a AGP card!

What can I do now? I waste hours of hours without getting an answer. Now I'm really depressed.
On a forum I read, I should buy a NVIDIA card. If no one can give me an answer, perhaps I will. hmm

Thank you very much.
-Squall

#2 2008-05-26 18:52:33

Cerebral
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: Trouble with my new ATI Radeon graphics card

That message appears for me too.  It's not an error, it's just an information line.  What is the _actual_ problem you're seeing?  Is X not starting?  Does the screen go black and lock up?

Also, don't use the .run script from ati - they'll conflict with pacman and with the filesystem heirarchy we have for Xorg 7 - it's best to stick with our packages.

#3 2008-05-26 19:13:26

Squallcw

X is starting but it seems that X can't work with my graphics card with this drivers. It's a black and locked screen as you said.
I read this message means that my card isn't supported with this drivers.
What could it be?

Okay, thanks for the information. I'll take the packages from the repos from now.

Thanks for your answer.

#4 2008-05-26 20:15:28

Cerebral
Forum Fellow
Website

OK - can you post your /var/log/Xorg.0.log file for us to look at?  And your /etc/X11/xorg.conf

#5 2008-05-27 14:56:26

Squallcw

Okay, here's my Xorg.0.log: http://rafb.net/p/Aqmrgy34.html
And my actually xorg.conf: http://rafb.net/p/5D8hsl72.html

In the xorg.conf I haven't changed a thing. It was created by X -configure, altough I got an error.

#6 2008-05-27 15:29:57

Cerebral
Forum Fellow
Website

From your log:

(++) Using config file: "/root/xorg.conf.new"

Is /root/xorg.conf.new the one you uploaded for me?

Also, that log looks kind of odd to me - it loads fglrx twice?  Once before reading the config, and once after?  I'm not sure what to make of it.

#7 2008-05-27 15:48:14

Squallcw

Yes, I uploaded /root/xorg.conf.new. It was the one I copied to /etc/X11.
This config was created by Xorg, with Xorg -configure. I don't really know what it does. And this log was also created while I was running X -configure.

What now? Can I disable this "double load"?

#8 2008-05-27 17:12:45

Cerebral
Forum Fellow
Website

Try using aticonfig --initial on your xorg.conf, perhaps?

#9 2008-05-27 18:10:46

Squallcw

I also tried this.
It just print the message:

Found fglrx in primary section
Nothing to do, terminating.

A friend, who uses Arch too, said me, I should use hwd -x. At the first time it hadn't work. It rewrote some files it uses and just created a config file for Vesa graphics cards.
This time it worked quite good. Now I have a Vesa and a fglrx config. But with this fglrx config I just get a green screen. Here's a photograph: http://proxy-world.info/FreeUpload/pics … 27d7ae.jpg

Maybe the proprietary driver doesn't work with my cards. hmm

Thanks
Squall

#10 2008-05-27 18:22:49

Cerebral
Forum Fellow
Website

As far as I know it should work with an X700.  I wonder if the problem is that it thinks you have a PCIE card when it's really AGP.  I've done some googling, but haven't found anything yet. sad  Maybe somebody else knows?

#11 2008-05-27 20:29:38

Squallcw

I noticed this too. But I thought it doesn't mean anything.

Now I installed the OpenSource drivers. radeon is working well, but my TFT doesn't work with it. The TFT monitor prints a message:"Out of range". I think there's something wrong with VSyncRate or however it is called.:rolleyes:

But if anybody know why my Arch doesn't work with the proprietary driver, please tell!

Thanks

#12 2008-05-27 21:31:15

lldmer

Your Xorg.log seems a little weird to me. For one, your Xorg.0.log claims

(WW) fglrx: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:1:0:1) found

While your xorg.conf is set to PCI:1:0:0. Maybe it helps if you change this in your Xorg to 1.0.1?

Also, your Xorg seems to load both vesa and fglrx. Maybe because of this 2 screens get created (one by both drivers), thus not matching the number of detected devices:

Number of created screens does not match number of detected devices.
  Configuration failed.

I'm not sure if that's your problem though...

For lack of better words: chair, never, toothbrush, really. Ohw, and fish!

#13 2008-05-27 22:12:05

Shadowmeph

I am new to Linux but I used to have an X800 agp card when I used Ubuntu gutsy so I kind of know what you are going through.

I did a quick search here http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ATI and spotted this ( I am hoping that this may help)

System Freezes/Hard locks

* To prevent system lockups, try adding the following lines to your fglrx "Device" section in xorg.conf

Option "UseInternalAGPGART"         "no"
   Option "KernelModuleParm"           "agplock=0" # AGP locked user pages: disabled

Note: Neither option is necessary anymore since 8.24.18 because ATI has removed the internal AGP GART support from the driver.

* As well, the radeonfb framebuffer drivers have been known in the past to cause problems of this nature. If your kernel has radeonfb support compiled in, you may want to try a different kernel and see if this helps.

[edit] Hardware Conflicts

Radeon cards used in conjunction with some versions of the nForce3 chipset (e.g. nForce 3 250Gb) won't have 3D acceleration. Currently the cause of this issue is unknown, but some sources indicate that it may be possible to get acceleration with this combination of hardware by booting Windows with the drivers from nVIDIA and then rebooting the system. This can be verified by issuing in a root console the following command:

dmesg | grep agp

If you get something similar to this (using an nForce3-based system)

agpgart: Detected AGP bridge 0
    agpgart: Setting up Nforce3 AGP.
    agpgart: aperture base > 4G

and also if issuing this command...

tail -n 100 /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep agp

...gets something similar to:

(EE) fglrx(0): [agp] unable to acquire AGP, error "xf86_ENODEV"

Then you have this bug.

Some sources indicate that in some situations, downgrading the motherboard BIOS may help, but this cannot be verified in all cases. Also, a bad BIOS downgrade can render your hardware useless, so beware.

See bug http://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=6350 for more information and a potential fix.

#14 2008-05-29 20:24:56

Squallcw

Thank you all for your help. It's not fixed, it won't work.
Just with the vesa driver it works, but if you move a window you think your system is in slow motion mode....
I changed the ATI card against my good old, and working NVNDIA card.

So in my opinion: ATI isn't really good, if you want the right drivers... Neither for Windows, nor for Linux. In the future I'll take NVIDIA.

#15 2008-05-29 21:52:05

dunc

Squallcw wrote:

So in my opinion: ATI isn't really good, if you want the right drivers... Neither for Windows, nor for Linux.

Correction: new ATI cards aren't much good if you want the right drivers. My 9200 works perfectly with the open source driver. I even have TV-out. The HD2400 Pro AGP I bought a few weeks ago, on the other hand...

In the future I'll take NVIDIA.

I think I'll join you in that. (Although, to be fair, I've no doubt that in six months or so my 2400 will be much more usable. It's a pain, though.)

0 Ok, 0:1

#16 2008-06-01 04:27:47

Zerathidune

I've found that to get aticonfig to actually do it's job, it is sometimes necessary to do:

aticonfig --initial --force on your xorg.conf.

for me this got it to the point I was able to actually use X, although I had to manually add

Section "DRI"
       Mode 0666
EndSection

to xorg.conf to get hardware acceleration working.

I am still having some issues though, and will likely go nvidia next time if the situation hasn't changed by then.

#17 2008-06-02 13:10:21

Squallcw

As it seems, older ATI cards are working, newer ones not. A friend, who has a ATI card too, uses Gentoo with the official drivers. It's an older card than mine. Hmm...

@Zerathidune
This section was from the first time in my xorg.conf. I added it, because it was described by the wiki.

Board footer