You are not logged in.

#1 2005-01-24 03:42:06

TheRaginAsian
Website

xcompmgr and mplayer.

I've noticed that mplayer doesn't take too kindly to xcompmgr's pretty shadow and fade effects. When trying to play a movie using just mplayer, I have to shake the window in order to get it to render the video, then if I fullscreen it will normally start having random black spots appears. Last time I used GMPlayer is crashed the whole xserver. Is there some sort of xcompmgr blacklist that I could use, cause i love having all the shadows n fades but I just dont want it for maybe a couple programs. Thanks for any and all support.

John Gallias
Technician/Friend/Bassist
http://www.concretearmy.com
john@concretearmy.com
john.gallias@gmail.com
Arch Linux v0.7 (Wombat), XFce 4.2, XOrg, Firefox

#2 2005-01-24 07:06:18

nggalai
Website

Re: xcompmgr and mplayer.

Hi there,

does this also happen if you use xcompmgr -a instead of -c? This enables the composite manager without "special effects", but you'll know whether it's the shadows or the compositing itself that's the problem. If it's the latter, there's nothing you can do, really ...

-Sascha.rb

#3 2005-01-25 00:18:33

shadowhand
Website

Are you using Xfce? If you can avoid using xcompmgr, do so. It's extremely buggy compared to other composite managers.

As far as I know, there is no way to "blacklist" programs from being effected by xcompmgr. I've noticed that video and the pretty Composite things don't like to play nice no matter how enable them though.

The Xfwm Composite manager is MUCH better though. I highly recommend trying Xfce if you're not a KDE fan.

·¬»· i am shadowhand, powered by webfaction

#4 2005-01-26 02:02:51

TheRaginAsian
Website

Well, my Arch install is currently hosted, you can read about my retarded quest here: http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?t=9439

BUT ANYWAYS, relating to this post, xfce has its own compositing manager? I didnt even know about this, always figured that xcompmgr was the only way to make everything have shadow with fade-in and fade-outs

John Gallias
Technician/Friend/Bassist
http://www.concretearmy.com
john@concretearmy.com
john.gallias@gmail.com
Arch Linux v0.7 (Wombat), XFce 4.2, XOrg, Firefox

#5 2005-01-26 03:21:33

iphitus
Forum Fellow

all composite operations at the moment are pretty much experimental and unstable and may cause problems, whichever  compositing manager you use.

#6 2005-01-29 02:22:14

Father

if youre using an NVidia card (and possibly all others), it mentions in the readme that opengl and the XVideo extension wont run when the composite manager is running.. you can use the X11 extension for mplayer i think.. but its slower..

theyre attempting to get around this but atm its not possible.. run xcompmgr when your working / want pretty stuff.. turn it off for media / when you get bored of it..

#7 2005-01-31 04:45:05

shadowhand
Website

TheRaginAsian wrote:

Well, my Arch install is currently hosted, you can read about my retarded quest here: http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?t=9439

BUT ANYWAYS, relating to this post, xfce has its own compositing manager? I didnt even know about this, always figured that xcompmgr was the only way to make everything have shadow with fade-in and fade-outs

Yes, Xfwm has the option for a built in compositing manager. It doesn't allow for transperancy switches, but does add pretty shadows to things. It's about 200% more stable than xcompmgr and (with an nvidia card) the performance is good enough to use it on a daily basis.

You do have to recompile Xfwm with the "--enable-compositor" option in order to get the effects however.

Here's a screenshot btw: http://www.wgilk.com/linux/screenshots/ … 112704.jpg

#8 2005-01-31 04:49:38

shadowhand
Website

Father wrote:

if youre using an NVidia card (and possibly all others), it mentions in the readme that opengl and the XVideo extension wont run when the composite manager is running..

You can enable composite to run with GLX. Just add this to your xorg.conf in the same section as "RenderAccel":

Option "AllowGLXWithComposite" "true"

Note that the XOrg people have reason to belive that nvidia GLX + composite may be a source of hard lockups.

#9 2005-02-08 22:15:46

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

don't know if anyone still cares - but in order to play video with composite enabled, you cannot use the "xv" video output - switch to xshm or x11....

xv allows applications to bypass whatever is controlling the X context - windowmanager, anything, xv just paints right over it... so composite doesn't work...

#10 2008-06-03 16:48:35

paramthegreat

The odd thing is that while mplayer itself causes the entire X session on my machine to crash when using xcompmgr, gmplayer continues to run nicely.

Last edited by paramthegreat (2008-06-03 16:49:22)

Board footer