You are not logged in.

#1 2004-08-04 08:56:01

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

idesk dependency problem?

i installed the idesk package from the extra rep but it is missing a dep i think.

It says it can't find libstd++.so.6 (i think) and won't run.

Is it me or the package?  I did locate libstd++ and i do have versions around .5

#2 2004-08-04 09:48:52

lanrat

Re: idesk dependency problem?

You mean this?

pacman -Qo /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6.0.1
/usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6.0.1 is owned by gcc 3.4.1-2

Is your system updated ?

#3 2004-08-04 12:31:10

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

i guess i do mean that!  does that not mean that gcc is an idesk dependency or are all the dependencies based on the assumption that you have the latest packages for base?  Or have i misunderstood.  I have not run a --sysupdate yet.  I only installed yesterday and have a 56k modem.  I know i need to do one, and then do one everyday, I just haven't smile

#4 2004-08-04 12:55:48

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

just a thought try building idesk via ABS  smile

Mr Green

#5 2004-08-04 14:21:53

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

ummmm - doesn't that defeat the object?  if i wanted to build everything from source (which i do like doing) it kind of removes the point of using arch and pacman.

i'm building a LFS system as well so i have no fear of source or ABS for that fact.  I just wanted to clarify why idesk has a dep that doesn't seem to be tracked?  it was just a question.

#6 2004-08-04 14:26:07

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

sorry  :oops:

Mr Green

#7 2004-08-04 14:28:18

lanrat

Missed dependencies happen :-)

If you really think the package needs this dependency, then you really should report a bug here http://bugs.archlinux.org
There is a tool called namcap that can help you also to check for dependencies (but remember it's just a help not a replacement for reading docs, etc.) - if you run namcap -i packagefilename.tar.gz it will check dependencies (and more). The downloaded package is in /var/cache/pacman/pkg unless you run pacman -Scc. But first try to update everything because it may already be fixed.

#8 2004-08-04 14:28:58

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

mrgreen:

s'ok - it was a fair point you made  wink  i'll try a --sysupgrade then i might try some ABS stuff.  I contribed a couple of packages for Vector Linux and i hoped to pop a few out for AL but most of my "pet" apps already have packages  :?

lanrat:

i'm sure they do - i just wondered if there was a procedure if you think you find one.  As you can see i have not had a full 24hrs on the boards so i'm still gettting the feel of things.

i'm sure doing a --sysupgrade will upgrade gcc and resolve the issue but if i need to upgrade gcc to get it to work then gcc is a dep, right?  so is that worthy of a bug report? or, as i said, is there a certain amount of assumption about basic packages.  e.g (totally hypothetical) if you wanted to install a just released package onto a 0.1 install with no previous upgrades is the package maintainer expected to account for those kind of dep differences or are packages maintained in relation to the more recent base packages? cos then it isn't a bug it's me not having the latest base suite - see what i mean?  just a wondering smile

thanks for the dep tracking and query/owns pointers too big_smile

#9 2004-08-04 14:39:01

lanrat

...then you might also be interested in srcpack tool to have your own optimizations and to stay updated at the same time.

#10 2004-08-04 14:46:47

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

..that'd be more of a gentoo type approach?  i had to rule gentoo out as i use a laptop and i don't really think they are built for hours of compiling, what with the fans only coming on as needed rather than constantly as you see in a desktop.  based on the fact the fans come on less i assume they have a shorter life span.

thanks for the suggestion tho

#11 2004-08-04 14:49:52

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

Are you using rox (looking at your screenshots) ??

Whats wrong with using Rox to put icons on desktop?

(oops asking questions again..... lol )

Eidt.. no you do not have to compile if you do not want... some things you may need to do kernel nvidia etc.. or to build your own packages, its up to you.... smile

Mr Green

#12 2004-08-04 14:58:23

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

have never had much luck with rox and desktop icons - they are trying to implement it in a default VL install ATM but it's a bit of a PIA.

once you get idesk set up it does the job pretty well and i think it offers more config options than rox - the idesk icons do get a bit polluted sometimes tho.  as i already have a nice idesk config i can bring straight over from vector it's much easier.

i'll do some reading on srcpack as well then, as well as namcap and all the pacman caveats  big_smile

#13 2004-08-04 15:02:21

lanrat

Installing a new package (from some online repo not "release" cd) on an old system should also update other packages but it depends on the package itself (when you read a lot of PKGBUILDS you will know what I mean :-)). In arch it's quite important to run pacman -Syu quite frequently. Some updates also depend on new pacman functions (downgrades for example, two x servers, etc.) so having pacman updated is a must. It is also possible to include a dependency for a particular version of some other package (including version >= etc. check abs tree for examples). So the answer is not really simple and depends on the quality of packages and repositories you use.

Gcc can be a dependency but only if it's not covered already in the "chain of dependencies" (namcap will show you this). Other easy way to check if a package really needs some dependency is to run it without this dependency and see if it works :-) . Some packages are also only makedependencies (needed only for building from source).

I think if something is not mentioned in the official docs and wiki you can always report a bug - nobody will kill you if you are wrong :-) At least you can get your answer.

Srcpack gives you more options than you think. I mean that if you want to have only some packages compiled and updated from sources (your "pet" packages, if you want some nonstandard configure option, etc.) and all others installed/updated from binaries. Since you are new to arch I just wanted to show you different options you can use. That's all.

BTW welcome big_smile

#14 2004-08-04 15:12:49

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

cheers lanrat - i really appreciate your responses here.  i read about the require version bit in the PKGBUILD files so i'm guessing the idesk one doesn't have one of those for gcc, but maybe, as you say, gcc is just further down the deps chain and the version got missed that way.

either way, as you said, i DO need to do a --sysupdate.  and i'll check out all teh options you have offered me.

thanks,  it's good to be here  smile

#15 2004-08-04 17:03:14

sarah31
Website

file a bug for idesk it needs to be recompiled against the current gcc.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#16 2004-08-04 17:16:26

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Actually, I'd say from that error that idesk has been recompiled with the new gcc, but that dibblethewrecker doesn't have the latest gcc installed.

This can be solved by running pacman -Syu before installing any other software. If you don't keep your system up to date, you're begging for trouble... this is a bit of a pain for us dialuppers, but as has been rehashed before, there aren't enough developers to keep backports of everything.

Dusty

#17 2004-09-15 14:22:34

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

i never fisnhed this thread did i.  i guess the upgrade to the latest gcc worked - i can't remeber.  i have held of upgrading to the newest gcc 3.4.2-1 tho cos of the latest issues.

someone pm'ed me about using idesk and how i had got it working so i'm thinking maybe idesk is breaking with the new gcc?

.:update:.

legout, in a PM to dibblethewrecker, wrote:

I make pacman -Syu every day and i have recompiled it. But it won´t work.

this doesn't look good - i hope he submits a bug

looks generally like the new gcc is the worst thing to happen for a while!

Board footer