You are not logged in.

#1 2008-05-31 12:03:15

eldamar

idesk + xcompmgr problem

I want to use xcompmgr and it works great (except that it crashes some times) but i also want to use idesk. Now what i don't want is for xcompmgr to make shadows on the idesk icons. how can i make xcompmgr ignore idesk? =/

And does annyone have a script or something for xcompmgr that restarts it automaticly if it crashes?

#2 2008-05-31 13:38:46

shazeal

Re: idesk + xcompmgr problem

I gave up on idesk with xcompmgr though you could try using devilspie to tell xcompmgr that the idesk windows are something else. Idesk is kinda out dated even when I managed to get xcompmgr to ignore it, the icons would end up being above everything else on the desktop. Pcmanfm file manager offers Icons if your looking for light weight, not quite as pretty as idesk however.

As far as xcompmgr crashing are you using the AUR version 1.1.1? If so thats why its crashing there is a new version on the Xorg site.

Use this package build to rebuild the new version.

pkgname=xcompmgr
pkgver=1.1.4
pkgrel=2
pkgdesc="Composite Window-effects manager for X.org"
arch=(i686 x86_64)
url="http://www.freedesktop.org/Software/xapps"
depends=('libxcomposite' 'libxdamage' 'libxrender')
conflicts=('xapps')
replaces=('xapps')
source=(http://xorg.freedesktop.org/archive/individual/app/$pkgname-$pkgver.tar.bz2)
md5sums=()
force=y

build() {
  cd $startdir/src/$pkgname-$pkgver
  ./configure --prefix=/usr
  make || return 1
  make DESTDIR=$startdir/pkg install || return 1
}

#3 2008-05-31 20:12:17

eldamar

Thanks for the tip about devilspie, do you know how a .ds file for idesk would look like.
I've tried:

( if 
( and 
( is ( application_name ) "idesk" )
) 
( begin 
( wintype "desktop" )
( below )
( println "match" )
)
)

and wintyp "dock" but im not sure if wintype is correct.

#4 2008-06-01 22:16:59

eldamar

Dont know if i manage to get devilspie to configure idesk but i manage to configure thunar and was fooling around with settings on it, but i failed to remove shadows. Can't find much documentation on this either.

#5 2008-06-03 22:02:57

droog

I have devilspie removing drop shadows for macopix. heres the config i use ~/.devilspie/macopix.ds
making an idesk.ds and changing macopix to idesk should work. maybe put a sleep on idesk so devilspie starts first and does the match.

( if 
( is ( application_name ) "macopix" )
( begin 
( wintype "desktop" )
( below )
)
)

#6 2008-06-04 03:30:03

shazeal

Having looked through the code for Xcompmgr/Idesk, I doubt it would work at all. xcompmgr only checks if the windows are input only, it doesnt care about the WM_ stuff. And idesk already sets its WM_TYPE to desktop, but sets the window class to input output afaik.
I could be wrong its been years since I did either C or C++ coding, It would be pretty simple to get xcompmgr to ignore certain windows however (If I could de-cypher xlib that is lol).

#7 2008-06-04 09:45:06

shazeal

No I was completely wrong sorry. Xcompmgr does check if a window is of type desktop, and idesk sets itself as WM_TYPE_DESKTOP, im betting however it fudges the setting of the WM_TYPE for the  child windows.
Seeing as Ive had idesk pop the icons above all windows on startup several times with or without xcompmgr, I have a feeling there is a bug in idesk somewhere causing issues with xcompmgr.

Board footer