You are not logged in.

#1 2008-06-03 09:50:13

onlinefloh

pbbuttonsd hogging CPU - how to research the issue? [Arch PPC]

Hiya folks,

pbbuttonsd developed some strange behaviour here: It starts hogging the CPU of my trusty old Powerbook Pismo (PowerPC G3/500, 384Megs RAM). Just after boot it's sorta idling at less than 1% CPU load, but as the runtime increases, it goes regularly up to about 70% after some time, sometimes it even hogs 100% for up to five minutes in a row, rendering the system completely unresponsive.

When i kill pbbuttonsd and restart it, it's running below 1% CPU usage again...

Any ideas on what to look for in order to get a decent bug report??

Greetings, Florian

Last edited by onlinefloh (2008-06-03 10:28:45)

#2 2008-06-04 11:41:59

armin

Re: pbbuttonsd hogging CPU - how to research the issue? [Arch PPC]

hm, I've never seen such behavior. Unfortunately oprofile doesn't work on ppc32, there's kernel support but not in the program it seems. You could try strace -p `pidof pbbuttonsd` to get a clue what's going on.

I'm a Pastafari

#3 2008-06-06 06:20:46

onlinefloh

Re: pbbuttonsd hogging CPU - how to research the issue? [Arch PPC]

armin wrote:

hm, I've never seen such behavior. Unfortunately oprofile doesn't work on ppc32, there's kernel support but not in the program it seems. You could try strace -p `pidof pbbuttonsd` to get a clue what's going on.

Oh well, i guess it's not too common anyways, ppc being not so much of a market leader ;-)
I think it would probably be good to have some "normal state" for comparison, so i'll pipe one such trace into a file right now, and one when it happens again.

I'll give a shout as soon as we're able to analyze the data...

Grretiongs,
Florian

Board footer