You are not logged in.

#1 2008-06-06 03:21:39

Xherziu

Cant find GIMP executable! :O

This is pretty weird... I downloaded the latest gimp-2.4 and continued on installing it but afterwards I could not figure out how to run it...

I did,

.configure (with the slash of course, stupid firefox quickfind doesnt let me write apostrophes or slashes)
make
make install

Everything installed alright and I opened up the folder to find my executable but wasnt there

I pulled this from the INSTALL file

The `make' command builds several things:
- A bunch of public libraries in the directories starting with 'libgimp'.
- The plug-in programs in the 'plug-ins' directory.
- Some modules in the 'modules' subdirectory.
- The main GIMP program 'gimp-2.4' in `app'.

The `make install' commands installs the gimp header files associated
with the libgimp libraries, the plug-ins, some data files and the GIMP
executable. After running `make install' and assuming the build process
was successful you should be able to run `gimp'.

In the app folder I found the gimp-2.4 file but it is a shell script.  Im not sure what to do with this.

#2 2008-06-06 03:39:34

droog

Re: Cant find GIMP executable! :O

you should go in the gimp folder and do make uninstall, then install gimp with pacman.
one of the best things about arch is pacman package manager you should use it smile
pacman -S gimp

#3 2008-06-06 03:53:16

Xherziu

I did try with pacman but there were some errors... it seems the file cannot be found on some of the servers?

I prefer to compile my own programs though.

#4 2008-06-06 04:00:18

Allan
Pacman
Website

If you really want to you can recompile the package using ABS and makepkg (look in the wiki).   That way you still use the package manager.  Not using it is a very, very good way to break your system unless you really know what you are doing...

Also, did you update your pacman database before you tried installing gimp (pacman -Sy gimp).  The "y" refreshes the database from the server you are installing from.

Anyway, you can use "locate" to find a file on your system. You will probably need to run "updatedb" first.

#5 2008-06-06 04:13:29

Xherziu

I successfully compiled from source, I do not know how to run GIMP.

#6 2008-06-06 04:19:52

hacosta

Xherziu wrote:

In the app folder I found the gimp-2.4 file but it is a shell script.  Im not sure what to do with this.

You run it
./gimp-2.4

The other posters know your problem (you can't run gimp) it's just that there's no much sense in doing it your way (at least if you don't give more background)  a better question could be: why can't i download gimp from pacman.. i'm using mirror foo.

#7 2008-06-06 04:22:33

Allan
Pacman
Website

It is really difficult to help you given that you install of gimp will be different to that of every other Arch user.

My guess is you need to run /usr/local/bin/gimp.

#8 2008-06-06 04:37:03

Xherziu

./gimp-2.4

this works

So to run a shell script you put a dot then slash and then the script name?

This seems kind of weird since every other package I compiled gave an executable.  This isn't a problem though, thanks everyone.

EDIT - Sorry if I was confusing. cool  Also, the pacman -Sy gimp solved the pacman thing, it was able to finish downloading.

Last edited by Xherziu (2008-06-06 04:50:28)

#9 2008-06-06 07:56:32

robmaloy

Allan wrote:

It is really difficult to help you given that you install of gimp will be different to that of every other Arch user.

My guess is you need to run /usr/local/bin/gimp.

this should work, since /usr/local/bin will not be in your $PATH unless you change it and most compiled apps go to /usr/local

☃ Snowman ☃

#10 2008-06-06 08:51:08

gnud

So to run a shell script you put a dot then slash and then the script name?

This seems kind of weird since every other package I compiled gave an executable.  This isn't a problem though, thanks everyone.

No, to run an executable file (shell script, binary, whatever) that is not in your $PATH, you need to run it with a more complete path. The "./" means "in this directory".

You said that the gimp-2.4 script is in a subfolder called "app". So, if you are in the base folder, you could run it as "app/gimp-2.4". No "./" needed in that case.

#11 2008-06-06 16:28:31

Xherziu

Oh I see... I must have messed something up cuz I tried just running gimp-2.4 but nothing happened... I swear I was in the right directory.

But I just tried it now and it works, I guess I wasn't in the right directory... lol

#12 2008-06-06 21:48:03

jacko

Sorry if I was confusing. cool  Also, the pacman -Sy gimp solved the pacman thing, it was able to finish downloading.

Oh I see... I must have messed something up cuz I tried just running gimp-2.4 but nothing happened... I swear I was in the right directory.

But I just tried it now and it works, I guess I wasn't in the right directory... lol

maybe because u installed it using pacman, and /usr/local is in your $PATH var. now...

#13 2008-06-06 22:04:51

droog

If you installed it with pacman now its in /usr/bin and all you have to type is gimp, no path needed.

navi@Berserk ~:)$whereis gimp
gimp: /usr/bin/gimp /etc/gimp /usr/lib/gimp /usr/share/gimp /usr/share/man/man1/gimp.1.gz

Board footer