You are not logged in.

#1 2008-06-06 08:53:15

violagirl23

Gnome - delete actual menus? (not their contents)

I have been googling like crazy and just running into a brick wall. The default Gnome menus are Applications, Places, and System, correct? Is there any way to delete the actual Applications menu (and Places and System too) and create a new menu, with a different name?
It might seem silly, but I'm trying to tweak my Gnome enough to make it look enough like Mac OS X Leopard to fool an actual Mac user. Mac4Lin was a good start, but without being able to edit the menus, it will never even start to be ready. Seeing as the Mac menus are completely different, and with different names, it is only natural I would need to change this.
So that brings me back to my original question... is there any way to do this?

"You can't just ask to borrow somebody else's lampshade. It's AWKWARD!"

#2 2008-06-06 08:59:23

_Marco_

Re: Gnome - delete actual menus? (not their contents)

I used this:
extra/alacarte 0.11.5-1
    Menu editor for gnome

but I don't remember if it can edit the places and system menus too... (now I use openbox + pypanel)
give it a try

#3 2008-06-07 00:47:51

Tenken

You could try installing global menu from the AUR. I haven't tried it but all the screen shots I've seen of it look good, be warned that it is alpha software though.

#4 2008-06-07 23:25:26

alex_anthony

get rid of the menu bar and use the main menu (right click panel, add to panel...)
alacarte is good too to edit the menu
Then globalmenu, using the applet...

I had an awesome mac thing going once, but the PERFECT gtk theme is hard to find

Board footer