You are not logged in.

#1 2008-06-09 16:32:20

moljac024

Tell me what the heck just happened ?

I haven't run pacman -Syu for a few days, so this isn't due to an upgrade.

Just now when I tried to turn my laptop on, the kernel during startup first displayed some errors about USB devices including something like "couldn't enumerate USB device", then uvesafb displayed some errors and didn't initialize...

So I get to GDM. I log in. Openbox starts but stalonetray isn't working - the colors seem messed up, and it doesn't get tray icons, then I notice tray icons appearing in visibility. Then network manager asks for the password of my home wireless network (instead of just asking for keyring password, which it did so far) And looking at the dialog asking for the password I also see that my GTK theme (qtcurve) somehow didn't get set so on top of all that I had the ugly default theme.

I was completely shocked and surprised. I haven't changed a darn thing since last booting up. There was no user error.

So I reboot. Just a black screen. I reboot again. Black screen again but GDM seems to be running. I do a ctrl-alt-backspace and it kills X only to have it appear all-black again. I reboot. This time everything starts normally... what the ????!!!

What did just happen ?

The day Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck, is the day they make a vacuum cleaner.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But if they tell you that I've lost my mind, maybe it's not gone just a little hard to find...

#2 2008-06-09 17:17:09

moljac024

Re: Tell me what the heck just happened ?

I swear, it sometimes feel as though computers have a will of their own.....

The day Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck, is the day they make a vacuum cleaner.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But if they tell you that I've lost my mind, maybe it's not gone just a little hard to find...

#3 2008-06-09 17:30:48

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

Hardware problem? Can you fsck?

#4 2008-06-09 17:35:43

moljac024

Misfit138 wrote:

Hardware problem? Can you fsck?

Hmm, it did check the filesystems at that boot, but reported no errors...But, as I said, everything seems to be working fine now....

Will try fsck now, just in case.

#5 2008-06-09 17:42:25

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

CPU fan working? Running hot? I know it's HOT here today.

Board footer