You are not logged in.

#1 2008-05-28 23:25:31

Sjoden
Website

Alternative to KDE Apps

There are a few KDE apps that I would like to find lighter dependency alternatives for. Also, I don't want to pull down any gnome or xfce dependencies. Something really neutral is what I'd like. I'm already looking at http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=48386 right now. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas.

Right now, I use:
File Manager: PCManFM
Samba/Share:_________
Web: Firefox
Term: urxvt
Text(general): nano
PDF:_________
Office: OpenOffice.org
CD/DVD:_________

What I need to replace:
Konqueror, for great samba support
K3B, best cd burning/ripping tool I know of.
Kate, awesome text editor, especially for multiple files.
KPDF, best pdf viewer I've ever used. Very clean, polished, and best working page preview/bookmarks pane I've seen.

Any ideas?

-Zack

Last edited by Sjoden (2008-05-28 23:34:45)

#2 2008-05-28 23:36:14

moljac024

Re: Alternative to KDE Apps

For a file manager you can choose between:

thunar,nautilus,pcmanfm

For a text editor you could try:

gedit,geany,scribes,vim,emacs

For a PDF viewer you could try:

evince,adobe acrobat reader

Oh, and nothing beats K3B...

The day Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck, is the day they make a vacuum cleaner.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But if they tell you that I've lost my mind, maybe it's not gone just a little hard to find...

#3 2008-05-28 23:40:08

ozar

edpfview (pdf viewer) and scite (text editor) don't have many dependencies.

oz

#4 2008-05-29 00:06:14

lang2

moljac024 wrote:

Oh, and nothing beats K3B...

Well I agree partially, nothing OSS beats K3B. But sadly, nero still works more reliablly, even the Linux version.

#5 2008-05-29 20:39:19

vhscampos

Nero Linux is the best burning app in GTK, although being proprietary and non-"money free".

#6 2008-05-29 21:18:00

kakTuZ

Sjoden wrote:

CD/DVD:_________
[...]

Have a look at brasero. Ok, it won't match all Use-Cases of K3B, but could be a start.

#7 2008-05-29 21:38:19

pressh
Developer/TU

Sjoden wrote:

Samba/Share:_________

you could try pyneighborhood. Although it is no longer actively developed upstream it makes mounting/unmounting of samba shares easy.

Guess alternatively you can look into FUSE. I have however never been able to reach the same speed with those two methods than with konqueror.

#8 2008-05-29 21:46:06

dunc

moljac024 wrote:

For a file manager you can choose between:

thunar,nautilus,pcmanfm

Or ROX-Filer. It's not to everyone's taste, though.

0 Ok, 0:1

#9 2008-05-29 21:51:38

moljac024

Well, there are also gnome-commander, tux-commander, emelfm2, nao and possibly some more.....I just thought he would find those three the most interesting smile

The day Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck, is the day they make a vacuum cleaner.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But if they tell you that I've lost my mind, maybe it's not gone just a little hard to find...

#10 2008-05-29 21:51:51

Redroar

The new PCManFM (0.4.4.x) has spotty network neighborhood support. It works well enough for me, though. Tips:
-Use gamin instead of FAM. This solved many many many issues with FUSE (which is the backend to the PCManFM net neighborhood) for me.
-Use the location bar to autocomplete. For some reason it doesn't like to show me the workgroup/host names, but it'll autocomplete to them. As soon as I get into a host directory it works normally, though.
-It's slow. Really, really slow for this.

If there is any way you can get SFTP support instead of Samba, PCManFM 0.4.4.2 has quite good SFTP support. I prefer SFTP anyway because of the encryption.

Stop looking at my signature. It betrays your nature.

#11 2008-05-30 00:10:01

Sjoden
Website

Thank you for all the suggestions guys!

I'm really like pcmanfm for a file manager, and I don't want to use thunar or nautilus because those bring in xfce and gnome dependencies, plus i don't think thunar has samba support.

I should probably through in Digikam, and Amarok/Exaile as well. I haven't found a photo album/manager as nice as digikam. Amarok and Exaile pull kde and gnome dependencies. For right now I'm using audacious.

I'll take a look at pyneighborhood and brasero.

Vim and Emacs aren't what I'm looking for. I like nano for the basic editing I do in a terminal. I think leafpad and gedit pull gnome dependencies, correct me if I'm wrong. Maybe I'll take a look at scite.

Adobe Acrobat reader is huge isn't it? With the kdegraphics I get a lot more functionality with similar size. Xpdf is nice and light, but doesn't cut it for me. I'll look at edpfview and evince.

Sorry if I seem stubborn wink. I don't mind QT or GTK apps, I really couldn't care less about using both tool kits at the same time. I just want to reduce my needs of KDE/GNOME.

Thanks again,
Zack

#12 2008-05-30 05:34:59

mintcoffee
Website

I'm going to suggest a windows app as a PDF reader.. watch out smile

I recently discovered PDF X-Change (horrible name) which works very well in Wine. It is quite lightweight and it MUCH faster than any native Linux PDF reader that I have ever used plus it has great annotation support. It's much faster than even Foxit in wine.. I would highly recommend trying in out smile

Last edited by mintcoffee (2008-05-30 05:35:15)

Arch on a Thinkpad T400s

#13 2008-05-30 09:47:28

Rasi
Website

Why the need to get rid of kde apps at all? If it works good for you, stay with it...

and its a fact that there are some kde apps that simply dont have a gtk alternative...
take digikam (and no - dont even mention f-spot)

The same thing the other way round:
take gimp (and no - krita is far from being an alternative)

People should really get rid of their "All apps have to use the same framework" thinking... its contra-productive...

He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.

Douglas Adams

#14 2008-05-30 12:17:23

foxbunny
Website

Sjoden wrote:

What I need to replace:
Konqueror, for great samba support
Kate, awesome text editor, especially for multiple files.
KPDF, best pdf viewer I've ever used. Very clean, polished, and best working page preview/bookmarks pane I've seen.

K3B:
I use wodim and growisofs directly these days. They work reliably (unless I screw up the options, that is), and they were not too hard to learn either. But it's not a click-click matter if you wanted that. For DVDs, there's also this:

http://regis.damongeot.free.fr/tkdvd/

But it's not in the repos or AUR. Never used it...

Kate:
Vim is light when it's running, but it's not light on dependencies. I still love it more than anything else (yes, even more than Kate). But depending on what you want to edit, you might find a more task-/language-specific editor which might have dependencies you already have (for example, Vim pulls in Python, which I need anyway, so it's okay).

KPDF:
I use xpdf. It's reliable and it gets the job done, but it doesn't look too good, and it doesn't 'remember' the pages you were last reading. But it's till a good replacement. I've also used Adobe Reader, but it's just too heavy on resources, and it can sometimes lock my system randomly.

#15 2008-06-10 13:39:45

Jerry

bashburn for burning.

but I also use the commandline - genisoimage and dvd+rw-tools this days.  To prevent shiny coasters I suggest you alias your usual burns.

Board footer