You are not logged in.

#1 2008-06-09 22:09:36

marxav

Desktop AUR Notify.

I re-wrote a desklet that is listed in the AUR (adesklet-aurfeed 0.0.1-3) and it has been published on the adesklets website under aurnotify (http://adesklets.sourceforge.net/desklets.html).  Here is a screenshot http://adesklets.sourceforge.net/images … screen.jpg.  From the config file, you can turn off the display of the description.

I was looking for a reason to learn python and also because a patch I submitted to the AUR to have the package description included in the email notification has never been implement (although there seems to be some activities these days on that tongue ).

#2 2008-06-10 15:04:40

drag0nl0rd
Package Maintainer (PM)
Website

Re: Desktop AUR Notify.

I got this, running aurnotify:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./aurnotify.py", line 174, in <module>
    Events(dirname(__file__)).pause()
  File "./aurnotify.py", line 104, in __init__
    adesklets.Events_handler.__init__(self)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/adesklets/events_handler.py", line 157, in __init__
    self.ready()
  File "./aurnotify.py", line 116, in ready
    if self.config['show_descr']:
KeyError: 'show_descr'

Disabling showing of the description doesn't help. Nice work, I like aurfeed, hope to see fixed it soon.

#3 2008-06-11 00:42:27

marxav

Ahh that is interesting.  Try with this in your config.txt:

# -*- coding: ASCII -*-
id0 = {'font': 'Vera/10',
'font_color_desc': (143, 188, 143, 255),
'font_color_package': (255, 0, 0, 255),
'font_color_title': (0, 191, 255, 255),
'font_head': 'VeraBd/10',
'show_descr': True}

There is a little bug in the default config within the script. but with a proper config file, it works.  I will have to resubmit the script.

Thanks for trying it by the way.

#4 2008-06-11 09:18:26

drag0nl0rd
Package Maintainer (PM)
Website

Ok, thanks. Now it looks it is running, but I don't see anythink, no text at all. After waiting 5 min still nothing. If I quit aurnotify with right click -> Quit it shows this:

$ ./aurnotify.py 
Do you want to (r)egister this desklet or to (t)est it? t
Now testing...
============================================================
If you do not see anything (or just an initial flicker
in the top left corner of your screen), try `--help',
and see the FAQ: `info adesklets'.
============================================================
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./aurnotify.py", line 174, in <module>
    Events(dirname(__file__)).pause()
  File "./aurnotify.py", line 104, in __init__
    adesklets.Events_handler.__init__(self)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/adesklets/events_handler.py", line 158, in __init__
    self._alarm()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/adesklets/events_handler.py", line 296, in _alarm
    timeout=self.alarm()
  File "./aurnotify.py", line 134, in alarm
    self._display()
  File "./aurnotify.py", line 163, in _display
    t.draw()
  File "./aurnotify.py", line 49, in draw
    adesklets.context_set_color(*self._c)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/adesklets/commands.py", line 423, in context_set_color
    print >> comm,   'context_set_color',   red, green, blue, alpha 
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/adesklets/commands_handler.py", line 45, in write
    print >> self.__comm, self.__command
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/adesklets/communicator.py", line 79, in write
    raise ADESKLETSError(1)
adesklets.error_handler.ADESKLETSError: adesklets process exited -

Disabling description finaly helps

'show_descr': False

Thanks for the tip! Did you submit an PKGBUILD into the AUR for aurnotify or you wait for aurfeed to be changed?

#5 2008-06-11 16:09:04

marxav

I am not home now, but as a curiosity, are you able to have any other desklets to work ?  I use OpenBox, no problem, but with KDE, never worked for me.  So I fell in love with Openbox now.

I pushed version 0.0.2 yesterday on the host site, but it came back rejected I saw this morning because my README version number did not match...:|  I will resubmit tonight.

I find weird that disabling show_descr make it work ???

I never submitted a PKGBUILD.  Maybe it is something I will have to learn.  Or I let some one taking care of it.  The maintainer of adesklets move the aurfeed to the graveyard.  The owner of aurfeed is unreachable.  I tried to contact him, but my email came back.  aurfeed is broken as a result of a change on the AUR page.  That is another reason I created aurnotify from aurfeed.

#6 2008-06-11 18:42:01

drag0nl0rd
Package Maintainer (PM)
Website

marxav wrote:

I am not home now, but as a curiosity, are you able to have any other desklets to work ?  I use OpenBox, no problem, but with KDE, never worked for me.  So I fell in love with Openbox now.

I pushed version 0.0.2 yesterday on the host site, but it came back rejected I saw this morning because my README version number did not match...:|  I will resubmit tonight.

I find weird that disabling show_descr make it work ???

I never submitted a PKGBUILD.  Maybe it is something I will have to learn.  Or I let some one taking care of it.  The maintainer of adesklets move the aurfeed to the graveyard.  The owner of aurfeed is unreachable.  I tried to contact him, but my email came back.  aurfeed is broken as a result of a change on the AUR page.  That is another reason I created aurnotify from aurfeed.

I'm running Fluxbox and using 3 other desklets - aurfeed and 2 weather notifiers - without problem. The aurfeed package in AUR is patched, as you can see in the comments under the package, I reported the problem and it got fixed pretty quickly. Anyway, having description would be nice.
No clue, why disabling description works, but it's the fact at least on my box.
Maybe I'll have time to write the PKGBUILD tomorrow ...

#7 2008-06-11 20:02:35

marxav

Yeah, I verified the comments.  I did not see the patch, because I did not install through AUR.  I contacted the maintainer, because ideally the problem should be fixed at the root.  I downloaded directly from sourceforge.  At least we know the problem is unlikely with your box.  Again, I will upload version 0.0.2 tonight.

By the way, the fact that the aurfeed has been moved to the graveyard means that the url is not really this anymore http://adesklets.sourceforge.net/desklets.html.  I guess it should be http://adesklets.sourceforge.net/graveyard.html if it matters at all.

Board footer