You are not logged in.

#1 2008-06-13 00:08:10

cautha
Website

Gnome-light on Arch? (Solved, more or less)

I'm wondering if it's possible, through pacman and/or yaourt, to create something akin to Gentoo's "gnome-light" ebuild -- that would allow one to install only the basic components required for Gnome to start up, without the overhead associated with the full Gnome desktop.

I can install the components I want with pacman -Sd, for example, but then I don't get the essential dependencies (the ones that I actually want). Is there a way around this?

Harry

Last edited by cautha (2008-06-19 17:56:35)

#2 2008-06-13 01:16:55

kensai
Website

Re: Gnome-light on Arch? (Solved, more or less)

Well, you could pacman -S gnome and that is gnome light, if you want the extra stuff you just pacman -S gnome-extra

Follow me in: Identi.ca, Twitter, Google+

#3 2008-06-13 02:26:33

cautha
Website

From the site I linked:

This subset is intended to include the programs necessary for basic desktop functionality without any additional applications. It basically includes gnome-session, gnome-panel, gnome-terminal, nautilus, metacity, and yelp. This is a session manager, a start menu/panel, a terminal program, a desktop, a file browser, a window manager, and a help browser.

When I try pacman -S gnome, it seems like I get a lot more than that. Or am I misunderstanding something?

Harry

#4 2008-06-13 02:39:53

Phrodo_00
Website

cautha wrote:

From the site I linked:

This subset is intended to include the programs necessary for basic desktop functionality without any additional applications. It basically includes gnome-session, gnome-panel, gnome-terminal, nautilus, metacity, and yelp. This is a session manager, a start menu/panel, a terminal program, a desktop, a file browser, a window manager, and a help browser.

When I try pacman -S gnome, it seems like I get a lot more than that. Or am I misunderstanding something?

Harry

here you go:

~% pacman -Qg gnome                                        phrodo_00@Wintermute
gnome epiphany
gnome gnome-applets
gnome gnome-backgrounds
gnome gnome-control-center
gnome gnome-desktop
gnome gnome-icon-theme
gnome gnome-media
gnome gnome-mime-data
gnome gnome-mount
gnome gnome-panel
gnome gnome-screensaver
gnome gnome-session
gnome gnome-settings-daemon
gnome gnome-themes
gnome gnome-volume-manager
gnome gnome2-user-docs
gnome libgail-gnome
gnome metacity
gnome nautilus
gnome yelp

so you get a webbrowser, some artwork, some configuration apps, a panel, a screensaver, a session-manager, automounting, a help system, a file manager and a window manager... I'm guessing gnome-light also has artwork, auromounting, artwork, and configuration apps

#5 2008-06-13 02:55:44

cautha
Website

Thanks a lot! big_smile

This helps. Tomorrow I'm going to begin the monumental task of teaching my grandmother how to use Linux. I might get flamed for using a distro like Arch for that purpose, but IMHO it's just a matter of choosing the right tools to go on top of it; and I wanted to start from square one, the same way I set up KDE on my machines. It could be worse: I could be using LFS.

I'll be sure to post about my progress smile

Harry

#6 2008-06-13 13:14:14

kensai
Website

cautha wrote:

Thanks a lot! big_smile

This helps. Tomorrow I'm going to begin the monumental task of teaching my grandmother how to use Linux. I might get flamed for using a distro like Arch for that purpose, but IMHO it's just a matter of choosing the right tools to go on top of it; and I wanted to start from square one, the same way I set up KDE on my machines. It could be worse: I could be using LFS.

I'll be sure to post about my progress smile

Harry

I would flame you if you do not choose Arch above all others. wink

Follow me in: Identi.ca, Twitter, Google+

#7 2008-06-13 17:22:44

cautha
Website

I'm pretty confused... I managed to get Gnome up on my laptop, but now, no matter how many times I try (purging the cache and so on, and starting over, and uncommenting more mirrors in my mirrorlist), pacman -S gnome always fails on yelp and xulrunner. The error is something like, "File unavailable (e.g., file not found, no access)".

Harry

Last edited by cautha (2008-06-13 17:24:56)

#8 2008-06-14 11:15:51

zodmaner

cautha wrote:

I'm pretty confused... I managed to get Gnome up on my laptop, but now, no matter how many times I try (purging the cache and so on, and starting over, and uncommenting more mirrors in my mirrorlist), pacman -S gnome always fails on yelp and xulrunner. The error is something like, "File unavailable (e.g., file not found, no access)".

Harry

Try 'pacman -Sy gnome'.

#9 2008-06-14 15:46:48

cautha
Website

Silly me... I should have known tongue

Harry

Board footer