You are not logged in.

#1 2008-06-10 22:36:16

finferflu
Forum Fellow
Website

Wacom Volito2 and widescreen

I own a Wacom Volito 2, and I would like to use it on my new laptop, which has a widescreen (resolution is 1280x800).

However, even after configuring it correctly, the middle of the tablet is recognised somewhere in the bottom-left of the screen. So the driver is working fine, I just need to know how to configure it for widescreen, if possible.

I have tried to google it, but there seem to be no documentation on this, so any help is very valuable for me.

Thank you smile

Have you Syued today?
Free music for free people! | Earthlings

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." -- A. de Saint-Exupery

#2 2008-06-10 22:44:00

whompus

Re: Wacom Volito2 and widescreen

What settings do you have in your xorg.conf? I have a graphire3 set up for widescreen which we may be able to use to help you.

#3 2008-06-10 22:52:11

finferflu
Forum Fellow
Website

Thanks, there you go:

Section "InputDevice"
Driver "wacom"
Identifier "stylus"
Option "Device" "/dev/tablet"
Option "Type" "stylus"
Option "PressCurve" "5,0,100,95"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Driver "wacom"
Identifier "eraser"
Option "Type" "eraser"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Driver "wacom"
Identifier "cursor"
Option "Type" "cursor"
EndSection

Have you Syued today?

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." -- A. de Saint-Exupery

#4 2008-06-11 11:12:41

whompus

My graphire is an A5 size so your coordinates are smaller.

Your tablet is a 4:3 format and you need 16:9 or 16:10 depending on your monitor resolution so you need to lose a small section from the top/bottom or both of your tablet.  The Volito is 127.6mm x 92.8mm at 40 lpmm so your tablet resolution is 5104 x 3712 and you need to set the TopX TopY BottomX BottomY coordinates to match the screen. To test draw a circle and if it comes out oval the resolution is wrong.

my settings.
Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier  "stylus"
    Driver      "wacom"
    Option        "Device" "/dev/input/wacom"
    Option        "InputFashion" "Pen"
    Option        "Mode" "Absolute"
    Option        "Protocol" "Auto"
    Option        "SendCoreEvents" "on"
    Option        "TopX" "0"
    Option        "TopY" "1000"
    Option        "BottomX" "16704"
    Option        "BottomY" "11309"
    Option        "Tilt" "on"
    Option        "Type" "stylus"
    Option        "USB" "on"
    Option        "Vendor" "WACOM"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier  "eraser"
    Driver      "wacom"
    Option        "Device" "/dev/input/wacom"
    Option        "InputFashion" "Eraser"
    Option        "Mode" "Absolute"
    Option        "Protocol" "Auto"
    Option        "SendCoreEvents" "on"
    Option        "TopX" "0"
    Option        "TopY" "1000"
    Option        "BottomX" "16704"
    Option        "BottomY" "11309"
    Option        "Tilt" "on"
    Option        "Type" "eraser"
    Option        "USB" "on"
    Option        "Vendor" "WACOM"
EndSection

#5 2008-06-11 19:06:15

finferflu
Forum Fellow
Website

Thanks for your help.
I am trying to figure out what I need to do, but I feel dumb, since I don't understand what I need to enter in my case. This is what I have done:

Option "TopX" "0"
Option "TopY" "1000"
Option "BottomX" "5104"
Option "BottomY" "3712"

However the only noticeable difference is that when the pen doesn't touch the tablet, the cursor moves on the top left corner...

What do those coordinates stand for in the end?

Have you Syued today?

#6 2008-06-11 21:33:27

whompus

You will probably need to apply the settings for the cursor as well, my cursor setting are for the mouse that comes with the graphire.

The coordinates are the exact positions the stylus, eraser and cursor will recognise. TopX and TopY top left corner of the tablet, BottomX and BottomY bottom right corner of the tablet.

What is the resolution of your monitor?

For a 16:9 widescreen monitor you could use TopX 0 TopY 0 BottomX 5104 BottomY 2871
For a 16:10 widescreen monitor you could use TopX 0 TopY 0 BottomX 5104 BottomY 3190

To prove the settings using a graphics program  trace round a circle on the tablet and see if appears round or oval on the screen.

I'm not an expert just picked up various things over the years.

#7 2008-06-12 20:30:05

finferflu
Forum Fellow
Website

I had already set those options for all the pen tablet devices. However with your suggestions, the result is quite similar, with the only difference that when I put the pen on the top left corner of the tablet, the cursor doesn't quite reach the edge of the screen. As for the other edges, they are far too big for my screen, I mean, I reach those edges with the cursor a lot before I can reach the edges of the tablet with the pen. It seems that with those settings, the portion of the tablet reflected on the screen is just a small square starting from the top left corner (and in fact the center of the tablet is quite close to the bottom right of the screen).
I am getting more and more confused with those settings, perhaps I should sit down and do some maths.
It's just unfortunate I can't find any documentation on this.

Have you Syued today?

#8 2008-06-13 20:31:00

whompus

Did you set the "Mode" "Absolute" in the xorg.conf as the pen will behave just like a mouse.

I have wacom in the modules section of rc.conf and also have Load "wacom" in the Modules section of xorg.conf.

I can only suggest you try here http://linuxwacom.sourceforge.net/

Last edited by whompus (2008-06-13 20:37:10)

#9 2008-06-13 21:51:53

finferflu
Forum Fellow
Website

Thanks for your patience, but that didn't work either...
Another thing I notice is that the cursor vibrates a lot, I have never had such a bad performance on my old machine...

I have already checked that website for documentation, but I was unable to find what I need...

I guess I'll have to search better, and perhaps wait to stuble into some sort of solution.

Thanks for your help, I really appreciated it smile

Have you Syued today?

#10 2008-06-13 22:07:55

finferflu
Forum Fellow
Website

I was browsing the Xorg log, and I have found something:

(EE) No Input driver matching `wacom'

This is very strange, as I have the wacom driver loaded as module in my rc.conf, and loaded in Xorg as well...

EDIT:
That made me suspicious, so I have reinstalled linuxwacom, and now everything works fine, without those X-Y tweaks (the cursor still vibrates, though, especially when it's on the top left corner). I think I might have not had those drivers installed at all, the installation might have failed without me realising it. It's not the first time I do something like that (i.e. not checking the terminal output).

Thanks again smile

Have you Syued today?

#11 2008-06-14 09:26:00

whompus

Glad your getting there.

When using the mouse my cursor twitches but when using the pen it is steady I've got used to it.

You may still need the x-y tweaks make sure that when you trace round circle it is displayed as a circle on the screen.

#12 2008-06-14 20:15:01

finferflu
Forum Fellow
Website

Well, today - don't ask me how - the pointer doesn't vibrate at all. It's perfect. I love when things fix themselves tongue

To inaugurate, here is my first (quite strange) drawing on the new laptop big_smile

staticomovente833.png.xs.jpg

Have you Syued today?

Board footer