You are not logged in.

#1 2008-05-31 13:56:52

keerthi

VLC Annoyances

When playing avi files (xvid), VLC does not respond to keyboard shortcuts immediately after opening a file. For instance, pressing 'F' doesn't put me in full screen. But when I double click the window, it switches to full screen and from then on it responds to 'F' key and toggles fullscreen. Also after playing a video for a while, it stops responding to 'space' key although it works fine for the first few minutes. I do not have any of these problems in VLC running in Ubuntu Hardy.

#2 2008-06-02 17:17:45

Surgat_

Re: VLC Annoyances

I hadn't realised it before, but it also happens in my box. No keyboard shortcuts work when I start VLC, but if I activate full-screen mode by double-clicking the shortcuts start working.

#3 2008-06-04 11:54:57

fatlarry

I think it's a matter of configuration of the window manager, namely how you configure the "focus" of the application when it is selected with the mouse- try to choose something along the lines of "retain focus" from the menu. In KDE, you get to that menu by right clicking on the toolbar of the application window.

#4 2008-06-10 09:41:06

UnbreakableMJ
Website

keerthi wrote:

When playing avi files (xvid), VLC does not respond to keyboard shortcuts immediately after opening a file. For instance, pressing 'F' doesn't put me in full screen. But when I double click the window, it switches to full screen and from then on it responds to 'F' key and toggles fullscreen. Also after playing a video for a while, it stops responding to 'space' key although it works fine for the first few minutes. I do not have any of these problems in VLC running in Ubuntu Hardy.

Here is how I fix this problem: I click somewhere on the sound volume bar, like the middle of it for example, and the shortcuts are working again like they are supposed to.

#5 2008-06-11 01:49:03

~slice

I think you can select to have it start in fullscreen somewhere in the preferences and see if the shortcut keys work immediately after. I am at work so I can't check it out.:cool:

There are 10 types of peaple in the world. Those who know binary and those that don't.

#6 2008-06-12 21:54:05

blueskies

Also having this problem, and it's annoying.  I just want Space (pause/play) and F (fullscreen) to work at anytime, fullscreen or windowed. Clicking the volume area (or anywhere on the vlc window) and starting in full screen did not solve the problem for me.  Any other suggestions?

Ok guys and gals.. I seriously just typed that above response, went back to vlc to check the problem before I hit subimt, and the shortcuts were working again.
Does arch actively listen to what users type in the forums, and fix things on the fly?? If so, I don't think I want an OS that's smarter than I am.  =\

#7 2008-06-13 04:52:36

pyrrhicvictory

That's only the tip of the iceberg... I have instances where drag and drop fail, refusal of .flv playback including some other formats. I'll delete the vlc preferences, and reinstall to see if that will rectify the issue.

#8 2008-06-14 18:18:19

delor
Website

It won't. just change player. VLC acts the same on any other distro I used, with gnome.

#9 2008-06-14 22:40:24

UnbreakableMJ
Website

blueskies wrote:

Also having this problem, and it's annoying.  I just want Space (pause/play) and F (fullscreen) to work at anytime, fullscreen or windowed. Clicking the volume area (or anywhere on the vlc window) and starting in full screen did not solve the problem for me.  Any other suggestions?

One click on the volume area solves the problem for me everytime like a charm.

We have a number of good Free Software media players to choose from, and each is unique. We have mplayer and totem and xine, etc.. So that is one suggestion.

Other suggestions for VLC: try using a different user interface. I compile the nightly version with configurations that allow me to choose running vlc with:
* Qt interface (qvlc-nightly)
* skins interface (svlc-nightly)
* WxWidgets interface (vlc --intf wxwidgets) - not working now though
* Console/dummy interface (cvlc-nightly)

And downloading a fresh skin is another good suggestion. Quick and easy.

blueskies wrote:

Ok guys and gals.. I seriously just typed that above response, went back to vlc to check the problem before I hit subimt, and the shortcuts were working again.
Does arch actively listen to what users type in the forums, and fix things on the fly?? If so, I don't think I want an OS that's smarter than I am.  =\

That is a good one lol
It would be nice to have such a smart OS. big_smile And if our system is not listening, well, I for one am listening and interested in improving VLC and its packages, and so are our Arch developers. *takes hat off for them*

Last edited by UnbreakableMJ (2008-06-15 04:28:15)

Board footer