You are not logged in.

#1 2008-06-12 10:19:02

Kane

PyPanel with multiple monitors

Hi guys,
I usually use pypanel with either xfce or openbox, but i have a dual screen setup, so the way i usually start it is like this:

DISPLAY=:0.1 pypanel &
DISPLAY=:0.0 pypanel &

Are there any issues with running it like this, apart from the fact they both have to use the same config file?

I've just made a quick patch so i can have different config files for each monitor, as i don't think there is currently anyway to do this?  (please correct me if im wrong)
Although i still have to start it like i described above.

If anyone can see any issues with this id like to hear them, or if anyone wants me to post the patch id be happy to smile

Thanks
Kane

#2 2008-06-12 23:29:59

MoonSwan

Re: PyPanel with multiple monitors

Not to hijack your thread but could you please tell me if you are running separate X sessions or some form of xinerama/twinview/dualview ?  I would love to use open box but I don't recall finding any decent tutorial on doing so with seperate X sessions.  Could you please pm me a screenshot of your pypanel & explain what it is you're doing with it exactly?

Thanks smile

#3 2008-06-13 08:16:43

Kane

Hi, yes i do run separate X sessions,
For openbox i start it like so:

DISPLAY=:0.0 exec openbox-session &
DISPLAY=:0.1 exec openbox

i dont know if its the right way, but its always worked for me smile

And here is the screenshot of what im doing:
Screenshot

As you can see, the panel on my main monitor has a different config to that of my second monitor
The first one has smaller dimensions so a pager(netwmpager) can be added, while the second one has no transparency and a system tray

This different "profiles" can be invoked like:

DISPLAY=:0.0 pypanel -p <PROFILE1> &
DISPLAY=:0.1 pypanel -p <PROFILE2> &

Where <PROFILE> is the config file you want to use

Im currently working on a way to configure the screen within pypanel itself, rather than having to use "DISPLAY="

Hope this helps

Last edited by Kane (2008-06-13 08:26:44)

#4 2008-06-15 13:41:10

Kane

Ok,
I've now sorted the display problem, here is how it works.

pypanel -p panelprofile1 -d :0.1

This will use the profile located in the users home directory, in this case (/home/<user>/.panelprofile1) and display the panel on screen :0.1 (i.e the second monitor)

Board footer