You are not logged in.

#1 2008-06-16 14:09:32

funkyou
Website

In need of some good artwork or: We need a logo and colors :)

Hi people...

As you may have heard somewhere, we are currently developing a new liveCD based on Arch + KDE4, which will be released around the end of this year (or sooner or later, as our motto is "when its done")...

Well, developing progresses and we have already reached some important milestones, but now we have a serious problem: We need a logo and a colorscheme for both our "identity" and the website of the project.

We already have a name for the project, but we are seriously lacking some good artwork skills... To give you an impression of our marvellous skills, here is our current mockup of the logo:

chakra.png

nice, isnt it? big_smile

Ok, as you have noticed, this isnt even rudimentary cool. And now we are asking YOU to create an awesome logo for us smile

We would like to see ideas from you, the beloved Arch community. We dont have any rules regarding the logo etc, and are completely open about this... So maybe some of the more gifted people can take this above approach and create something awesome for us... As all of our tools also have rather esoteric names (shaman, tribe, more to come ...), maybe the wikipedia entry for chakra could be helpful for inspiration...

If you have any ideas, designs, schemes, whatever, dont hesitate to show us them... If there are some submissions, we will choose the one we like the most, and the creator will of course be mentioned on our website as our "creative director" (CEO is already taken by boom1992, sorry smile), together with some of our very descriptive Roles (you can choose them!) smile

We are looking forward to any submissions, and thanks very much in advance

Jan

EDIT: I think i missed something in this post, so i write it now: The colors and the font in the mockup are only there to visualize why we have chosen chakra as the name. Of course you are free to do anything! Just do crazy stuff, let your creativity flow, everything is allowed smile

Last edited by funkyou (2008-06-16 18:02:35)

want a modular and tweaked KDE for arch? try kdemod

#2 2008-06-16 15:42:13

synorgy
Website

Re: In need of some good artwork or: We need a logo and colors :)

I'll start mocking some stuff up right now.

"Unix is basically a simple operating system, but you have to be a genius to understand the simplicity." (Dennis Ritchie)

#3 2008-06-16 17:42:03

synorgy
Website

Okay - here's an hour worth of work.

chakramock170.png.xs.jpg

I tried to prettify your first mock-up a bit, and I rather like the idea. I'm pretty fond of the one with the outlined 'ak'. I enjoy how it sets the two letters apart without the traditional bold or italic letter treatment.

The second idea plays off of the more modern colors attributed to the seven chakras. Im not a fan of the font used (Helvetica Neue Ultra Thin), but I need to get the one I want (Chalet Paris).

I'll keep working on these and a few more.

Last edited by synorgy (2008-06-16 17:44:35)

"Unix is basically a simple operating system, but you have to be a genius to understand the simplicity." (Dennis Ritchie)

#4 2008-06-16 18:01:42

funkyou
Website

Hey, thanks for your efforts smile

I think i missed something in the first post, so i write it now: The colors and the font in the mockup are only there to visualize why we have chosen chakra as the name. Of course you are free to do anything! Just do crazy stuff, let your creativity flow, everything is allowed smile

Thanks again,

Jan

#5 2008-06-16 18:32:56

moljac024

Chakra ? Man, that just sounds terrible big_smile

The day Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck, is the day they make a vacuum cleaner.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But if they tell you that I've lost my mind, maybe it's not gone just a little hard to find...

#6 2008-06-16 18:44:35

sandsmark
Website

Two sucky ones big_smile
chakra_th.png
chakra-ox_th.png

#7 2008-06-16 18:48:12

moljac024

Actually, Chakra sounds to me like a name of an epic fantasy monster.

Last edited by moljac024 (2008-06-16 18:48:22)

The day Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck, is the day they make a vacuum cleaner.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But if they tell you that I've lost my mind, maybe it's not gone just a little hard to find...

#8 2008-06-16 18:54:37

dunc

sandsmark wrote:

Two sucky ones big_smile

Not really. I think the second (Oxygen KDE logo based) one has potential.

0 Ok, 0:1

#9 2008-06-16 19:16:08

xaw

dunc wrote:
sandsmark wrote:

Two sucky ones big_smile

Not really. I think the second (Oxygen KDE logo based) one has potential.

I kinda fancy this one as well, its stylish but its still simple (a la KISS)

The water never asked for a channel, and the channel never asked for water.

#10 2008-06-16 20:10:36

sandsmark
Website

http://iskrembilen.com/sandsmark/chakra-ox.svg if anyone think they can do anything with it smile

#11 2008-06-17 15:50:16

funkyou
Website

moljac024 wrote:

Actually, Chakra sounds to me like a name of an epic fantasy monster.

Hehe, well,  maybe it will have some sort of similar impact like an epic fantasy monster smile
But wait for the first alpha, we are sure people will be surprised by it cool

Thanks for all ideas and submissions so far... Of course we would like to see some more stuff here, so just let your creativity flow smile

Thanks

Jan

#12 2008-06-17 20:02:36

synorgy
Website

Here's another - more in line with what I wanted from the first go round:

th.2112a8de30.png

Again - uses the traditional colors of the chakra, but this is a bit of a stretch. I just like this one, I guess ;-)

Last edited by synorgy (2008-06-17 20:03:28)

#13 2008-06-17 21:24:58

FeatherMonkey

2587666941_50d9ccce4e_o.png Using a couple bits already used. Guess more banner than logo though. Thought the kde K would be overkill, may try.

Last edited by FeatherMonkey (2008-06-17 21:27:26)

#14 2008-06-17 22:01:33

finferflu
Forum Fellow
Website

synorgy wrote:

Here's another - more in line with what I wanted from the first go round:

http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/upload … a8de30.png

Again - uses the traditional colors of the chakra, but this is a bit of a stretch. I just like this one, I guess ;-)

Wow! that's very cool! It kinda breaks away from the current trend.

Have you Syued today?
Free music for free people! | Earthlings

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." -- A. de Saint-Exupery

#15 2008-06-18 12:52:17

arch0r

i think it should be much more visible, that "chakra" consists of the K for kde and the letters for "arch"

"A chakra is a center of activity that receives, assimilates, and expresses life force energy. The word chakra literally translates as wheel or disk and refers to a spinning sphere of bioenergetic activity emanating from the major nerve ganglia branching forward from the spinal column. There are six of these wheels stacked in a column of energy that spans from the base of the spine to the middle of the forehead. And the seventh which is beyond the physical region. It is the six major chakras that correlate with basic states of consciousness..."

by the way, arch live project with kdemod4 sounds kinda nice (hope it doesn't have a gui installer tongue)!

#16 2008-06-18 13:47:07

synorgy
Website

No offense, Arch0r - but I strongly disagree. I think that this project has the merit to stand on it's own. That is, becoming more than the sum of two parts. Showing potential users that it's Arch coupled with KDE4 through the logo seems largely redundant, in my opinion. Users can get that information from a FAQ or something similar.

Simply put - I feel that attempting to squish that much information into a logo is going to end up making the icon look poorly concieved and make it feel as if chakra is not it's own project, but rather simply the sum of two parts. I feel that it's only fair to give Chakra it's own independent look 'n feel as it is it's own project with it's own developers, coders, maintainers et al.

(You know - I hope that comes out like I meant it too. I promise I'm not being mean! :-) )

#17 2008-06-18 14:20:55

Jansson

A quick doodle, for inspirational purpose:
th.ae1f7b3493.png

synorgy: Last one looks really neat smile

Last edited by Jansson (2008-06-18 14:27:10)

#18 2008-06-18 14:32:59

moljac024

arch0r wrote:

i think it should be much more visible, that "chakra" consists of the K for kde and the letters for "arch"

"A chakra is a center of activity that receives, assimilates, and expresses life force energy. The word chakra literally translates as wheel or disk and refers to a spinning sphere of bioenergetic activity emanating from the major nerve ganglia branching forward from the spinal column. There are six of these wheels stacked in a column of energy that spans from the base of the spine to the middle of the forehead. And the seventh which is beyond the physical region. It is the six major chakras that correlate with basic states of consciousness..."

by the way, arch live project with kdemod4 sounds kinda nice (hope it doesn't have a gui installer tongue)!

Oh yeah, I forgot about that meaning for chakra.....

#19 2008-06-18 14:46:27

synorgy
Website

Thanks Jansson!

I'll work a bit on the idea of a wheel that you've brought up. It might be a bit to overt, and I may have to push the idea of circular movement rather than a wheel. I know the difference is slight, but it makes things a lot more interesting on my end smile

EDIT - Thanks to you too, Finferflu. I just realized that I didn't say that earlier.

Last edited by synorgy (2008-06-18 18:23:00)

#20 2008-06-21 23:26:08

synorgy
Website

working on more ideas - I'll post 'em here when I get 'em

#21 2008-06-23 20:16:14

josomebody

chakra.png

: () { : | :& } ;:

#22 2008-06-23 20:31:04

Stalafin

Lol! big_smile I especially like the KDE logos within the Mandelbrot set. xD

#23 2008-06-23 21:40:56

Supreme313

just a few different color schemes i worked up.

chakralogo2.jpg
chakralogo3.jpg
chakralogo.jpg

#24 2008-06-23 21:56:12

nophun

Supreme313's Blue BG is nice big_smile
Maybe would be even better with colored font wink

+1 for the use of both  K  and A logos

vos commentaires me rappellent d'un enfant semi retardé que j'ai connu en école secondaire

#25 2008-06-23 21:58:49

Supreme313

Thanks for the vote of confidence! lol
he's a powered by: Chakra case badge i did as well..
if anyone wants, i'll do the blue BG with the colored fonts...
just let me know.

poweredbychakra.png

Board footer