You are not logged in.

#1 2008-06-16 14:55:10

leo2501

GNU Screen doesn't start some programs after a while

Hi! i'm using gnu screen for a while, and i noticed that sometimes i can't start some programs (mc and elinks), they start outside screen, but within screen they don't (the screen "subshell" completely locks i need to kill it with C+a k) sad any clue? i don't notice what changed so screen behaves like that after a while :S

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
-- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

#2 2008-06-16 16:47:45

leo2501

Re: GNU Screen doesn't start some programs after a while

really i don't get it... now suddenly it works, running mc and elinks within screen, but i don't do anything, only open them in another urxvt instance and then i want to try again within screen and now works :S but i know it's temporal :S

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.

#3 2008-06-16 17:00:07

xaw

Maybe your previous terminal somehow got locked with a keybinding from gnu screen? It seems weird that, as you said, it suddenly works all of a sudden.

The water never asked for a channel, and the channel never asked for water.

#4 2008-06-16 21:01:37

chimeric
Website

I bet you accidentally hit <CTRL>+s (which sends a "stop" or xoff signal to the terminal), at least that happens to me sometimes when I am using screen (though this isn't related to screen and works in a normal terminal session as well).

Next time when that happens try <CTRL>+q (sends xon) to resume the sesssion, if that doesn't work then something else went wrong wink.

#5 2008-06-17 00:32:08

leo2501

well the bug returns as espected, i can work with mc and elinks within screen, but suddendly i execute a command in mc, the terminal went black, (but i can see bottom hardstatus screen line) and i can't CTRL+c to terminate mc and return to command line, but i can CTRL+a k and kill that screen window, and change between screen windows, i try CTRL+s, CTRL+q and nothing, i just see the screen keybindings and play with CTRL+Q q and CTRL+S s (xon/xoff) but nothing, when i starts mc that screen windows only can be killed, but when elinks is started i can CTRL+c to break and get prompt

Board footer