You are not logged in.

#1 2008-06-18 14:45:30

mhd

Mac-like Alt-Tab in Compiz Fusion

Recently I've noticed that I was a bit more progressive using my Mac at home than in my austere Ratpoison/Screen/VIM environment at work, so I decided to try something more flashy for a while. I'm quite happy with a DE-less Compiz Fusion setup, but for some strange kind of reason I do miss the window switching paradigm of OS X.

On a Mac, you alt-tab between window groups and alt-tilde within one. I've always considered it a bit crippled, but it seems I've grown accustomed to it.

I've set up the compiz plugins to grant me alt-tilde functionality within one window group (e.g. all Firefox windows), but the general alt-tab switcheroo thingie (I use the static switcher) still offers me all windows.

So can anybody point me to the right plugins and/or settings?

#2 2008-06-19 14:15:51

alex_anthony

Re: Mac-like Alt-Tab in Compiz Fusion

if you look at the bindings section of the static switcher, you can set bindings for this. There are actions such as Next Window (Group)
Or at least there are on mine from git

#3 2008-06-19 16:30:23

mhd

alex_anthony wrote:

if you look at the bindings section of the static switcher, you can set bindings for this. There are actions such as Next Window (Group)
Or at least there are on mine from git

Sorry if I didn't make that clear enough: Next Window In Group is working perfectly, but I miss the functionality of "Next Window Group", i.e. switch from this group to the next one. The normal Alt-Tab once again includes all windows.

To give an example, let's assume the following setup:

Desktop (windows in that order):
   - 2 Firefox Windows (call 'em "Work" and erm, "Research")
   - 2 Xterms (#1, #2)
   - gimmix

Now if my active window is "Work", Alt-Tilde brings me to "Refresh" and vice versa. So far, so good.

But Alt-Tab brings me to "Research", too and after that, Xterm #1, Xterm #2, gimmix and back to "Work".

I'd like it to bring me to Xterm #1 -> gimmix -> Work. Select Windows groups with Alt-Tab, select individual windows in that group with Alt-Tilde.

I haven't found such an option in any of the Compiz plugins. Unless I'm missing something, I guess I have to either live with it or take a jab at writing yet another app switcher wink

#4 2008-06-19 21:36:32

alex_anthony

Oh Sorry. Perhaps you could get something with the tabs plugin.
Or just keep each group to a different workspace (you could use window rules) and then for change within group, use alt-tab on that workspace and for change workgroup, change workspace

Board footer