You are not logged in.

#1 2008-06-19 20:51:59

SilverTab

Application Launchers...

Hi there!

I was wondering if there are any good application launchers that aren't tied to either gnome or KDE?? I love Gnome-Do (used to be on a mac so I got used to QuickSilver), but since I'm running OpenBox, Gnome-Do seems to be just too "tied" to gnome (for example, I'm using Thunar as my file manager, but if you open a file or a folder with gnome-do, obviously, it will open it in nautilus etc..)

So I was wondering if there are any good App. Launchers out there without such a strong tie to a particular desktop environment...?

#2 2008-06-19 20:59:10

sniffles

#3 2008-06-19 21:03:21

SilverTab

Re: Application Launchers...

Thanks sniffles, I tried gmrun already but found it to be a bit limited....

I will take a look at dmenu...

#4 2008-06-19 21:09:13

moljac024

I don't think that's what he meant.....GNOME Do does a lot more, no ?

The day Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck, is the day they make a vacuum cleaner.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But if they tell you that I've lost my mind, maybe it's not gone just a little hard to find...

#5 2008-06-19 21:26:33

SilverTab

moljac024: yes it does.... (gnome-do is really a lot like QuickSilver on OS X actually)....I love it...

I'd like to have something similar but without the "gnome" part hehe....but I figured it probably doesn't exist....

I'm trying to mess with dmenu (I used the basic script found in the wiki), but I really can't find much info as to making a more "custom" script....

#6 2008-06-19 21:44:26

moljac024

I must admit I heard about Gnome-Do only a couple of days ago, how long does it exist? I've been seeing it in the screenshots thread and wondered what it was, looked kinda cool. Still, I haven't tried it yet since I use openbox and am about to switch to FVWM as soon as I get the free time... Since FVWM is so configurable I bet you could make something like that smile

The day Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck, is the day they make a vacuum cleaner.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But if they tell you that I've lost my mind, maybe it's not gone just a little hard to find...

#7 2008-06-19 22:24:05

SilverTab

moljac: I think it was really made to be a clone of quicksilver... if you've never used QuickSilver, it's a bit hard to explain... but there are a bunch of GnomeDo screencasts that shows very well what it can do:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid … 5562&hl=en

basically it's a smart launcher... you can extend it via plugins... but a couple of examples would be:

<open gnome do> -->  Type "mail" --> "TAB" --> "type the first letters of an email in your contact" --> Enter... and it will open your favorite mail client and create a new email to the person you specified....

<open gnome do> --> Type "fox" --> Enter   (would launch firefox)

<open gnome do> --> start typing the name of a file --> TAB --> Open with... --> TAB --> Start typing the name of a program

etc etc.... and the cool thing is that it "learns"... (i.e. if you do a command often it will show up first in the list etc)

The screencasts can probably explain it better than I can smile

Board footer