You are not logged in.

#1 2004-08-09 23:00:04

gs

efax-gtk

I have made this and ran my final namcap checks, before thinking seriously about uploading.

There is a socket which receives and manages ps files which I had place at /var/spool/fax. Namcap advises me that this is a non-standard directory, and the wiki guidelines do not admit /var/... as a possibility.

Most of the installation is in /usr and I cannot see a good ebnough reason for putting into /opt. /usr/var just symlinks back into /var, otherwise that might be an obvious place. /usr/share/efax-gtk, possibly?

Is this something a package maintainer would need to look at, or is there a clearly better place. Namcap also queries that I have root permissions on this directory.

A bit naughtily, pehaps, I have had the whole installation running as user without any problems. Fortunately, I don't use my telephone modem for internet connection, and I opened the device up to all and sundry.

What the beep was that?

#2 2004-08-10 02:13:35

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: efax-gtk

Putting things that are supposed to be in /var in /var, even though namcap complains, is fine.  spool directories are supposed to be in /var.

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#3 2004-08-10 05:55:06

gs

Thanks.

My final question concerns uploading. I think there used to be a sticky detailing the precise bundling needed and where to upload to. I think that was changed to asking someone to provide space on their tur.

My make is fully functional and I have incorporated a mini howto into the install file because, in particular, the in-package help notes assume the user is working from a source-provided readme which does not get transferred to a binary install.

So (provided I have not been careless and not found the obvious), what should I do next?

What the beep was that?

#4 2004-08-10 09:42:33

gs

I have had a thought... I have uploaded to my website. Here are the download links.

http://www.gslocock.pwp.blueyonder.co.u … pkg.tar.gz

http://www.gslocock.pwp.blueyonder.co.u … tk.install

http://www.gslocock.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/PKGBUILD

Comments most welcome.

gslocock@yahoo.co.uk

What the beep was that?

#5 2004-08-10 10:47:30

dpb

The PKGBUILD and the install script should be posted in the forums for easier access. There might be a time the server your page is on goes down and nobody can get them...

#6 2004-08-10 11:04:59

gs

OK, here we go...

-------------------------------------------------------------

# $Id: PKGBUILD, $
# Maintainer:
# Contributor: Geoff Slocock <gslocock@yahoo.co.uk>
pkgname=efax-gtk
pkgver=2.2.9
pkgrel=1
pkgdesc="A versatile, fully-featured frontend and backends for sending and receiving faxes through a modem."

url="http://efax-gtk.sourceforge.net/"

license=""
depends=("gtkmm>=2.0" "ghostscript" "nail" )
makedepends=("gtkmm>=2.0" "libsigc++2>=1.2.3")

# Xorg or X11 is required, but I am not sure how to specify one or the other at the same time.
# Maybe this can be just taken as obvious?

# There are two additional scripts. One, mail_fax, which automatically emails a received
# fax to a specified user, requires nail (and postfix). The other script automates the printing
# out of a newly received fax. For completeness, I have packaged these and therefore included
# nail as a dependency. Having run namcap, it rejects ghostscript as a dependency.
# I am very doubtful that it is superfluous. In particular, it is noted as being essential
# at the web site and there seems little point in making the new user discover this for
# her(him)self.

conflicts=()
replaces=()
backup=()
install=$pkgname.install
source=(http://dl.sourceforge.net/efax-gtk/$pkgname-$pkgver.src.tgz)
md5sums=('a43daa0384ee4ed4f2c0163d2acac713')

## 'makepkg -g >>PKGBUILD' was executed and md5sums so determined.

build() {

cd $startdir/src/$pkgname-$pkgver

./configure --prefix=$startdir/pkg/usr 
               --with-spooldir=$startdir/pkg/var/spool/fax
                --sysconfdir=$startdir/pkg/etc

make return | 2

make prefix=$startdir/pkg/usr install

cp  $startdir/src/$pkgname-$pkgver/mail_fax $startdir/pkg/usr/bin/mail_fax
   cp  $startdir/src/$pkgname-$pkgver/print_fax $startdir/pkg/usr/bin/print_fax

# These are scripts referenced within man efx-gtk, being set aside from the
   # make instructions, per se.

}

------------------------------------------------------------

# arg 1: the new package version
post_install() {
echo ""
echo ">> M I N I   H O W T O <<"
echo ""
echo ">> The available documentation is complete but a bit scattered, thus there is a need. "
echo " For example, the Readme file (.../efax-gtk-2.2.9/efax/README of the downloaded"
echo " src directory), is not transferred to the installation, but the application Help "
echo " notes assume access to this. The appropriate instructions on setting up CUPS"
echo " to link with the socket appear in the man pages, which is explained only in this "
echo " Readme which becomes 'missing'. I have thus made this cross-reference transparent"
echo " enough so that newcomers can achieve full functionality, without the frequent enough "
echo " Linux documentation pain. Again, the Readme recommends newcomers to study the man pages "
echo " and this mini howto is designed to help with trasnsitions that are otherwise provided "
echo " for by either in-package or web page Help notes that are a complete enough springboard."
echo " Moreover, writing this has helped me to check out the functionality, as it applies to"
echo " this Arch /usr-based installation with desktop environments sitting in /opt. " 
echo ""
echo ">> Quoting from the efax-gtk Help notes: 'The configuration file can be set by"
echo " using the Settings dialog launched from the File/Settings pull down menu item."
echo " The settings entered using this dialog are always stored as ~/.efax-gtkrc.'"
echo " Unless, you are an expert the pull-down menu is the place to start and there are"
echo " help buttons for guidance on defaults and common options."
echo ""
echo ">> Unless you modify the modem device permissions, you will need to run"
echo " as root. It can be useful to install and setup 'sudo', and run the command"
echo " 'sudo efax-gtk' -- because efax-gtk then accesses the home and not the"
echo " root directory, and this is important for wider functionality. I have modified"
echo " access to /dev/tts/0 (which is symlinked to ttyS0), making it completely acessible"
echo " to everyone. I, however, do not use my telephone modem for internet access, and"
echo " this procedure is not to be recommended, if you do."
echo ""
echo ">> There is a need for a note about the LOCK FILE. The default (what happens if you"
echo " don't change 'File' /'Settings' /'Modem' / 'Lock File' dialog box setting) only"
echo " wants to work for a 'true' root 'user'. For sudo or user you will need to "
echo " have the lock file sitting in a directory which you create with user access."
echo " E.g. ~/.efax-gtk_lock. Of course you could alternatively vary the access"
echo " rights to the default lock file directory."
echo ""
echo ">> You need ghostview or some other postscript-file viewing application, and"
echo " this is highlighted in the setup dialog. If you want to use scanned images,"
echo " you need to save the image as a postscript file. The 'fax' view option in xsane"
echo " comes in very handy, but imagemagick can handle conversions, also."
echo ""
echo ">> Quoting from man efax-gtk: 'Efax-gtk can run a SOCKET SERVER, which CUPS"
echo " can connect to. When the socket server is running, fax files received"
echo " from CUPS will automatically be displayed in a Queued faxes list maintained by"
echo " efax-gtk. From this list, a fax can be selected for sending by efax-"
echo " gtk, so there is no need to print to file from the word processor and"
echo " then select the file with the file selection dialog in efax-gtk.' Read"
echo " further at the man page for an easy to follow set of instructions. Open Office"
echo " enables you to print to the socket, also -- look up 'fax printer; connecting under UNIX'"
echo " in the Help pages 'find' dialog. But, of course, 'Run socket server' must be enabled "
echo " in the efax-gtk 'Socket' tab of the 'Settings' dialog."
echo ""
echo ">> The installation includes a script called /usr/bin/mail_fax which despatches"
echo " an email notification of receipt. If you want to use it you will need to reference it"
echo " in the settings, and you may also want to tailor it for your needs. For this to "
echo " work however, you will need to ensure that postfix is sitting in your /etc/rc.conf"
echo " daemons list or execute postfix start/ restart, as appropriate."
echo ""
echo ">> The documentation says that in KDE and Gnome, a system tray icon appears."
echo " For use on my xfce4 box, I needed however, to symlink the /opt/kde/share/icons/hicolor"
echo " directory so as it is accessible from /usr/share/icons. I have also tested it in KDE,"
echo " and the same extra requirement applies."
echo ""
echo ">> There is also an automatic print on receipt of new fax script called /usr/bin/print_fax."
echo ""
echo ">> HAPPY FAXING!"
echo ">>"
}

# arg 2: the old package version
post_upgrade() {
  post_install $1
}

# arg 1: the old package version
pre_remove() {
/bin/true