You are not logged in.

#1 2008-06-21 21:05:54

vesu

installing xorg from cd

Greetings denizens of the archlinux forums! I have been a longtime user of slackware. It was my first distribution, and after many years of expirimenting with the debian-family distributions, and the redhat-based ones, I have stuck with slack. I never had to worry about difficulties uninstalling bloat, removing daemons I don't use, etc. My only complaint was the lack of binary support. It's really starting to get annoying when I have to compile things constantly.

When I heard arch featured a lightwieght  completely transparant distribution that had a binary package manager, and supported source packages, I leaped to the opportunity and removed any ambiguity as to this metaphor by falling out of my chair.

A failure of motor skills of legendary proportions aside, I had always kept a 5 GB partition on my laptop for whenever I wanted to try another distribution. I sluethed the net and found an ISO of arch linux 0.7.1. I'm very familiar with custom installs, and when I tried to install xorg it failed. Naturally, I found this bug had been fixed in later versions, and downloaded arch .08-2, only to find xorg not even included in the options of the installer.

Has out of the box GUI functionality been removed? If so, which is the least archaic arch version that runs xorg out of the box? How difficult would it be to update the said version for modern functionality? Thanks in advance.

#2 2008-06-21 21:18:35

bender02

Re: installing xorg from cd

vesu wrote:

Has out of the box GUI functionality been removed? If so, which is the least archaic arch version that runs xorg out of the box? How difficult would it be to update the said version for modern functionality? Thanks in advance.

It was never there. Installing with older isos might run into some problems (too old pacman - package manager).

#3 2008-06-21 21:49:44

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

The old 0.7.x  installers had a Base and Current iso, IIRC the Current iso included a snapshot of the /current repo, (it was later split among /core and /extra). At the time, /current included xorg.
The newer isos no longer include xorg, but the installation guides in the wiki will walk you through the simple installation process. It should be easy for you coming from Slackware, the Arch install just requires a bit more initial configuration.

Here is the Beginners Guide, and here is the official installation guide.

#4 2008-06-21 21:54:29

vesu

How difficult would it be to add packages to the install cd? If it is something a mere mortal is capable of doing without clawing his eyes in frustration, praytell where I could find the necessary information to stop wasting your time with newbish concerns?

#5 2008-06-21 21:57:31

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

I'm not sure I am understanding quite what you are trying to do.
There are several alternative ways to install Arch, but I don't know if you are looking to actually create your own distro kind of thing, or if you just want to install extra packages instead of downloading them later....
Can you meet us on IRC?
Freenode #archlinux

#6 2008-06-22 01:58:07

dr.cranium

You could just download the packages you need from here, with dependencies.  Install your system from a current cd.  Then, put these packages on a CD or flash stick and use "pacman -U ./pkg-name.pkg.tar.gz'.  Is that what you were looking for?  I'm not sure how you could add them to the install cd though.

#7 2008-06-22 04:04:40

Raccoon1400

or just type
pacman -S xorg
and
pacman -S gnome (or whatever DE you want)

Fustrated Windows users have two options.
1. Resort to the throwing of computers out of windows.
2. Resort to the throwing of windows out of computers.

#8 2008-06-22 20:47:29

vesu

Forgive my tardiness, I lost my connection temporarily.

Believe me, I RTFM. My issue is simple; I am attempting to install arch on a laptop, and I assumed I would have a much easier time setting up the wireless connection once I have a comfortable interface. My issue was that I would need a connection to set up some system basics, but setting up wireless from the slackware fluxbox was difficult enough.

put these packages on a CD or flash stick and use "pacman -U ./pkg-name.pkg.tar.gz'.

Exactly what I needed. Thank you all for your patience.

Board footer