In order to use the new nvidia module, exit Xserver and unload it manually."

Any suggestion?

Sorry! but my english suck!

#2 2008-06-22 15:32:28

Endperform
Website

Re: Configuring Nvidia

How are you installing the driver?

Is this error happening while you're installing, or after you've installed the driver?

#3 2008-06-22 15:37:34

k-i-m

oh..sorry tongue

i use "pacman -S nvidia"

I did not notice the error the first time I installed it. but when i'm trying to upgrade the driver I get the error

#4 2008-06-22 16:58:31

k-i-m

anyone?

#5 2008-06-22 17:38:48

hrist
Website

just shut down X and then "modprobe -r nvidia" on the tty then start X again.
If you're running a Display Manager like GDM/KDM either do "/etc/rc.d/gdm|kdm" stop or if you're starting gdm/kdm via inittab do "init 3".
It should load the driver automatically.
And you installed nvidia, the error message is generated by the postinstall script which tries to unload nvidia, but since you're running X the module is in use and therefor can't be removed.

two - Arch64 | dwm | nvidia
three - Arch64 | dwm | nvidia

#6 2008-06-22 17:45:02

Rokixz
Website

I've got same problem, I do it like hrist, but not working. I think it's pkg bug.

http://ispconfig.lt - ISPConfig 3 based hosting. Coming Soon!

#7 2008-06-22 17:51:38

Acecero

Maybe instead of just "modprobe -r nvidia" why not reload it with "modprobe nvidia" afterwards?

Also usually I find when installing nvidia or fglrx drivers, it requires you not to have a X server running when installing, but that was just doing it manually, it could be different with pacman. Otherwise give that a try?

#8 2008-06-22 18:19:27

hrist
Website

No, this is not a packaging bug, many packages have a so called .install file where the packager can run commands in order to configure/remove the package or to inform the user what he needs to do to use the installed package, the error message is caused by "  rmmod nvidia || echo 'In order to use the new nvidia module, exit Xserver and unload it manually.'" in the nvidia.install file. This tries to unload the module and if that fails the message is shown.

If you install nvidia when X is not running everything should work fine, and with X running it should be enough to restart X.

two - Arch64 | dwm | nvidia
three - Arch64 | dwm | nvidia

#9 2008-06-22 20:28:55

k-i-m

okei, now I tried "modprobe -r nvidia" and "modprobe nvidia" then I got :
Module nvidia not found

I am installing the whole system now, I am not even sure if X is correctly installed!?!!?

#10 2008-06-22 20:34:23

Acecero

Then try reinstalling all the packages on a CLI and stop any X server that is running, see if that works.

#11 2008-06-22 20:37:59

k-i-m

Wich packages? how do I stop the X server?

#12 2008-06-22 20:50:25

Acecero

You stop it by,

hrist wrote:

"/etc/rc.d/gdm|kdm" stop

Just to be clearer if you use gdm(for example), you do it by running

sudo /etc/rc.d/gdm stop

And try reinstalling the xorg and nvidia packages without the X.

#13 2008-06-22 21:08:32

k-i-m

oki, now the error is gone! Thanks!

But when I try to run nvidia-xconfig it say's No such file or directory!? the same thing apears when I type in startx

?

#14 2008-06-22 21:14:45

k-i-m

well the error is back again after I logged on as root, but now it tells me to exit Xserver! when I try to use the /etc/rc.d/gdm stop it doesent exist.. and with kdm = no such file or directory!

#15 2008-06-22 21:43:04

Acecero

k-i-m wrote:

But when I try to run nvidia-xconfig it say's No such file or directory!? the same thing apears when I type in startx

?

Ok, did you reinstall the packages, I did not say uninstall them if thats what you did?

k-i-m wrote:

well the error is back again after I logged on as root, but now it tells me to exit Xserver! when I try to use the /etc/rc.d/gdm stop it doesent exist.. and with kdm = no such file or directory!

Ok, you and I are a little confused right now, do you know what other type of display manager are you using? If not, just hit ctrl + alt + backspace to kill the Xserver while you are in the GUI.

EDIT: Oh I see now, you are using startx all along, ok just hit that stroke to kill it.

Last edited by Acecero (2008-06-22 21:46:14)

#16 2008-06-22 21:57:38

k-i-m

Acecero wrote:
k-i-m wrote:

?

Ok, did you reinstall the packages, I did not say uninstall them if thats what you did?

k-i-m wrote:

Ok, you and I are a little confused right now, do you know what other type of display manager are you using? If not, just hit ctrl + alt + backspace to kill the Xserver while you are in the GUI.

EDIT: Oh I see now, you are using startx all along, ok just hit that stroke to kill it.

Im sorry, but I am realy bad to explain things..

But: I reinstalled the packages..

display manager?

when i installed X i just wrote "pacman -S xorg" and "pacman -S mesa"

I dont have any GUI installed, I am trying to do that right now! but i need the driver first.

I am following the beginners guide.

I dont think that my Xserver is correctly installed, and thats why the nvidia thing is a bit confused. Is that right?

#17 2008-06-22 22:19:47

Acecero

Ok dont worry about the display manager, that's just another tool for other conveniences.

There is no wrong or right way to install packages, pacman takes care of all the dependencies you will ever need.

Then I should suggest you should read these wikis before you do anything else, if you have not.

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xorg7

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NVIDIA

There are other more well-documented guides that are more board on certain topics, that will serve you better then the beginner's guide. You just got to look for them. smile

#18 2008-06-23 10:27:25

k-i-m

I have read those..

Just to make things clear!

1. First I have to install xorg with:
pacman -Sy xorg

2. Then the wiki says that I have to install another driver, but since I have a nvidia card I'll jump over this step. right?

3. Here I tried to install nvidia with pacman -Sy nvidia, and her I get the error.
I have also tried install "hwd" and "hwd-xa" "hwd -x" to create the xorg.conf file. Now I have a standard xorg.conf file with "vesa" driver.

now when I try "xorgconfig" "nvidia-xconfig" "Xorg -configure" I get "No such file or directory"

Am I misunderstaning everything her?

#19 2008-06-23 16:18:49

Acecero

I think you are mostly right on but for now, lets only keep nvidia module removed by

modprobe -r nvidia

and since you already have the xorg.conf file, you don't need the "xorgconfig" "nvidia-xconfig" "Xorg -configure" commands to make or configure any further.

In the standard xorg.conf file change the "vesa" to "nvidia" and then use enter startx in the virtual terminal. And if "startx" is missing. Honestly, I think you either need to reformat and start over or wait for some kind of package bug to fixed.

Now that I understand a little better, there was nothing you didn't do wrong at least to my information... sad

#20 2008-06-23 16:40:03

k-i-m

Okei. I did that and with startx I got:
hostname : unknown host
xauth : creating new authority file /root/.serverauth.10606
/usr/bin/startx: line 191: /usr/bin/xinit: No such file or directory

I think I just reformat later tonight, and hopes that goes better.
I am very thankful for all the help!

Board footer