You are not logged in.

#1 2008-06-27 22:32:27

senjin
Website

jack and starting X from inittab

Few words about a strange problem I managed to solve.

I was trying to get rid of a login manager. I have modified my inittab using this wiki: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Start_X_at_boot:

id:5:initdefault:
[...]
x:5:once:/bin/su antek -l -c "/bin/bash --login -c startxfce4 >/dev/null  2>/home/antek/.xsession-errors"

Xfce was starting properly, all the programs worked properly, except of jack that I couldn't start in the realtime mode. Also when I typed ulimit -r the answer was "0", although I have @audio          -       rtprio          99 in my /etc/security/limits.conf.

I solved the problem by Automatically_login_some_user_to_a_virtual_console_on_startup and adding the following lines to my .bashrc

if [[ -z "$DISPLAY" ]] && [[ $(tty) = /dev/vc/1 ]]; then
  startxfce4 2> /home/antek/.xinitrc
  logout
fi

and now jack works fine, ulimit -r returns 99 as it should... also boot is faster by about 1-2s wink

Anyway, there's something wrong with the first method, but I have no idea what and why...

Last edited by senjin (2008-06-27 22:32:57)

#2 2008-06-28 02:16:10

dunc

Re: jack and starting X from inittab

This is an issue that's bothered me for some time, and I've been unable to track down the cause. It happens with SLiM as a login manager, too. I've been logging out and starting GDM whenever I want to use Jack, because it's the only way I can get it to work properly. A real pain. hmm

Anyway, there's something wrong with the first method, but I have no idea what and why...

Having tried your fix, and not really liking it (I don't want a respawning X session), I think I've finally figured it out: it's agetty, not all the id:5:initdefault stuff. Maybe. I've only tried it once - haven't rebooted yet - but I think simply switching to mingetty fixes it.

I still don't know what agetty's doing wrong, though. (If it really is that.)

EDIT: Nope. It isn't. I just rebooted. No joy. sad

I think it might be the id:5:initdefault login after all: if I log out and back in again, it works. Still, at least I don't have to start GDM any more.

Last edited by dunc (2008-06-28 02:23:31)

0 Ok, 0:1

#3 2008-06-28 07:33:29

jochen

Hi, I've had this problem too and I remember having solved it by appending

session        required    pam_limits.so

to /etc/pam.d/su

#4 2008-06-28 09:08:35

senjin
Website

dunc: X won't be respawning if you replace respawn with once in inittab.

jochen: unfortunately your trick doesn't work with SLiM... probably because it's not run with su.

#5 2008-06-28 22:49:13

dunc

senjin wrote:

dunc: X won't be respawning if you replace respawn with once in inittab.

Of course. Why didn't I think of that?

Memo to self: Stop trying to fix these problems last thing at night.

wink

0 Ok, 0:1

Board footer