You are not logged in.

#1 2008-06-28 17:27:41

SyXbiT
Website

can't find package tagtool (audio tag tool)

I've been using linux for a few years, but just last night switch over to Arch (from ubuntu)
i've seen forum posts about tagtool, but i can't find the package name.
I tried searching google, the tagtool homepage, the forums, and the arch package search. (people mention it, but not the specific package name)
could someone show me how I could better learn how to find package names (i know the package names for ubuntu, but they're often different for arch)
is there no way to do bash-completion (like in ubuntu). that way i could have typed 'openoffice' and tabbed to see the options, rather than have to search the web to find out that the (intuitively named) package was openoffice-base.
(i noticed there is bash-completion, but it just completes your $PATH, and not potential programs in the REPO, like Ubuntu does)
thanks for the help guys. I'm looking forward to switching all my comps over to Arch, i just am a little lost as i went from debian expert to arch n00b sad

Last edited by SyXbiT (2008-06-28 17:49:48)

#2 2008-06-28 17:53:07

lucke

Re: can't find package tagtool (audio tag tool)

bash completion should work for pacman (make sure that bash-completion package is installed).

However, it seems that the package you are looking for isn't available in the repos, there's only a PKGBUILD ("recipe" how to build it) in so called AUR. Read here on how to tackle that. You might use tools like yaourt to make using packages from AUR easier, but even so, you'd first have to build yaourt ;-) It might look like a bit of a hassle, but it really isn't that scary.

Welcome to Arch!

#3 2008-06-28 18:12:18

tigrmesh
IRC Op

You can use
pacman -Ss tag

to find all the packages in the repos you have enabled that contain "tag".

#4 2008-06-28 20:14:09

SyXbiT
Website

thanks for the friendly help guys.
I'm going to do a ton of reading during the next few days smile

#5 2008-06-28 22:23:14

ibendiben

I have the feeling you might like this:
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=44933

Board footer