You are not logged in.

#1 2008-06-30 01:04:07

yvonney

Beginner Guide [manual partitioning] says: lastly mount sda3 as /home?

QUESTION: do I mount the final partition sda3 as    /home  or   /boot     WIKI error/anomaly?

Hi... thought I had this figured.

I go thru the manual partitioning guide and MY install at the end promts me with  /boot  for mounting sda3

YET... the tutorial:
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginners_Guide

says  the following....

QUOTED FROM WIKI:

Choose and create the filesystem (format the partition) for / by selecting yes. You will now be prompted to add any additional partitions. In our example, only sda3 is remaining. Choose a filesystem type and mount it as /home. Again, create the filesystem and choose Done

NOW... I've had success leaving it at /boot  for the final move...   ie. mounting sda3

WHY does the installer (2008.06) offer  /boot  and then the tutorial in the beginners guide wiki say to mount it as   /home

I changed it to /home like the tutorial said....  (doesn't appear to be liking it though al's fine if i just leave it at the default of mount sda3 as /boot)

I'm WAY better at getting it thanks to all things ARCH... though I haven't thought this through enough I guess...

thank you!!

any definitives/suggestions/clarifications on this?

Last edited by yvonney (2008-06-30 18:48:00)

#2 2008-07-01 10:58:58

juan_sck

Re: Beginner Guide [manual partitioning] says: lastly mount sda3 as /home?

if you want your system look like this (example in wiki):
Name    Flags     Part Type    FS Type           [Label]         Size (MB)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
sda1               Primary     Linux                             10240 #root
sda2               Primary     Linux swap / Solaris              1024  #swap
sda3               Primary     Linux                             26480 #home

you don't need any /boot partition. /boot directory will be inside sda1 (root partition).
sda3 in the example is designed to be the /home directory (personal documents partition) you either need that for install, but it is usually recomendable.

if you make a /boot partition you must mark it as bootable in cfdisk to work.

you may also install Arch in a single partition (no /home or /boot partitions) and set them up after if you need them.

#3 2008-07-01 13:19:48

yvonney

Re: Beginner Guide [manual partitioning] says: lastly mount sda3 as /home?

More very helpful info!

yes, I'm studying on things relating to partitioning etc. lately

... that was good to know!!!   thank you...

The only thing is.... when foing the manual partitioning JUST like the tutorial I believe it all stops happening when it's trying to go from installing the programs to the config.... I'll check and try.... something I'm doing not right for sure....

I'm having a great time with all I'm learning.... was going to put this post in newbie section though put here in installation...   I won't be a newbie for too much longer I think..

Last edited by yvonney (2008-07-01 13:23:25)

Board footer