You are not logged in.

#26 2008-06-12 17:31:18

GogglesGuy
Website

Re: Goggles Music Manager

Rasi wrote:

Thank you very much for the ALBUMARTIST tag...

You should know tho, that the TPE2 tag has been misused... its only used by itunes and windows media player and some others. The problem: TPE2 tag was originally created for BAND/ORCHESTRA informations, which has nothing to do with ALBUMARTIST...

An alternative would be a user-chosen tag for the albumartist. Ogg/flac/mpc can do this anyway. and id3v2 has the TXXX tag for that matter.

For now it's readonly anyways. I'm not writing them. May be later some advance options can be added to select which tag should be read.

Rasi wrote:

Also do you think you will add some kind of playlist at some point? would be nice, if one could queue songs from different albums... (probably even multiple playlists as in tabs?) (Think like: mark songs: Send to playlist -> blabla)

I thought about a playing queue, but currently not high on the list yet. You can already create play lists, so it's partially there.

Rasi wrote:

Regarding the FOX toolkit: i dont mind. Its VERY fast, which is a nice thing. Of course it would be nice if it integrated better with gtk and/or qt, but none of those 2 can match the speed of FOX.

That's the spirit!

Rasi wrote:

P.S.: Any news on the replaygain tag info reading?
Some info: http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php … Replaygain

Reading is not the big problem I'm guessing, but thanks for the link. Applying that information to the xine engine is still a question mark at this moment...

Rasi wrote:

just make sure to support the tag based approach of mp3gain too... because mp3gain has both options -  modifying the actual audio data and writing tags.

I can understand the tag based system, but if the gain is already applied to the actual audio data, what else is there to do [for gmm]?

Rasi wrote:

P.P.S: Another thing i want to suggest is some kind of plugin architecture... not sure if you designed gmm in a way that makes this possible. But if the possibility is there gmm is actually VERY close to foobar2000, which is a real compliment by the way smile

No short or long term plans for a plugin system, but I'm not against it in anyway, just there are some other things I like to do first. (patches always welcome though)
Currently I'm working on major database changes for the 0.10  release which will allow multiple artists and multiple genres (or tags) to be associated to one track.

#27 2008-06-15 13:26:12

apaige

Thanks for writing gmm. Its incredibly fast interface and gapless playback are two killer features over rhythmbox, banshee and the likes. I would have dismissed it until recently even if I had been aware of its existence, because my entire music collection was encoded with WavPack, but I recently converted it back to FLAC for compatibility reasons.

Edit: unfortunately, xine's gapless playback implementation is imperfect, as I feared it would be. I can hear artifacts (sometimes pops, sometimes the audio skips ever so slightly) on track changes, more precisely when the track position slider switches to the next track (there's a delay between the actual track change as heard and as seen in the browser panel, and the track position slider).

Looks like I'm back to using http://moc.daper.net/. Its gapless playback implementation is flawless. I wish all music players featured such a good implementation.

Last edited by apaige (2008-06-15 21:14:12)

#28 2008-06-15 21:54:29

GogglesGuy
Website

apaige wrote:

Thanks for writing gmm. Its incredibly fast interface and gapless playback are two killer features over rhythmbox, banshee and the likes. I would have dismissed it until recently even if I had been aware of its existence, because my entire music collection was encoded with WavPack, but I recently converted it back to FLAC for compatibility reasons.

Edit: unfortunately, xine's gapless playback implementation is imperfect, as I feared it would be. I can hear artifacts (sometimes pops, sometimes the audio skips ever so slightly) on track changes, more precisely when the track position slider switches to the next track (there's a delay between the actual track change as heard and as seen in the browser panel, and the track position slider).

Looks like I'm back to using http://moc.daper.net/. Its gapless playback implementation is flawless. I wish all music players featured such a good implementation.

Yes I notice sometimes there is a small delay between switching tracks, though it's very hard to track who's at fault, and it's hard to reproduce. Thanks for trying it out though!

#29 2008-06-16 09:55:37

Rasi
Website

xines engine  is well known for its hacky gapless playback

He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.

Douglas Adams

#30 2008-06-18 15:37:42

apaige

This is a rather simple test for testing gapless playback: http://pastebin.com/f36522ccd
I don't suppose there's any chance of using another playback engine, maybe port over some of moc's code? I was so thrilled by gmm sad

#31 2008-06-18 17:31:43

GogglesGuy
Website

apaige wrote:

This is a rather simple test for testing gapless playback: http://pastebin.com/f36522ccd
I don't suppose there's any chance of using another playback engine, maybe port over some of moc's code? I was so thrilled by gmm sad

Well, if you can port the moc player code (or gstreamer or any other framework for that matter), than patches are always accepted. smile
I don't own any soundcards that do 44.1khz natively, so I'm not sure how correct that test would be.

#32 2008-06-18 19:17:22

apaige

Use 48kHz sound files, same thing.

#33 2008-07-01 16:23:23

GogglesGuy
Website

Regarding tray icon support. I was thinking the most easiest way to implement this would be to create a separate program that would create the tray icon and communicates using DBUS with GMM. That way I don't have to implement the whole XEMBED protocol and the TRAY icon specification. The separate program could programmed in for example GTK/C or Python (with GTK) (whatever is easiest). Any volunteers that could create such a program?

#34 2008-07-01 20:04:42

Rasi
Website

GogglesGuy wrote:

Regarding tray icon support. I was thinking the most easiest way to implement this would be to create a separate program that would create the tray icon and communicates using DBUS with GMM. That way I don't have to implement the whole XEMBED protocol and the TRAY icon specification. The separate program could programmed in for example GTK/C or Python (with GTK) (whatever is easiest). Any volunteers that could create such a program?

http://alltray.sourceforge.net/

He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.

Douglas Adams

#35 2008-07-01 20:13:41

GogglesGuy
Website

Rasi wrote:
GogglesGuy wrote:

http://alltray.sourceforge.net/

Doesn't seem to work that well.

#36 2008-08-02 01:18:01

GogglesGuy
Website

Good News Everyone! big_smile

mainwindow_0.9.14_thumb.png

I've just release Goggles Music Manager 0.9.14. We finally have a tray icon (thanks to oliwer ) which is implemented as a separate program communicating over dbus to GMM.It's written in GTK, but potentially can be written in any language that supprts dbus. oliwer came up with a nicer application icon as well.

I also made it easier to change the colors and font from within GMM and can now be applied without restarting GMM. It includes some presets for clearlooks and some of the new KDE 4.1 color schemes.

The last.fm submitter has been rewritten to be threaded so that DNS lookups don't lock up the whole GUI anymore. NetworkManager is also supported to wakeup the last.fm submitter once a network connection comes available.

Hopefully in a 'community' repository soon near you!

#37 2008-08-02 17:59:12

Rasi
Website

GogglesGuy wrote:

Good News Everyone! big_smile

http://gogglesmm.googlecode.com/files/m … _thumb.png

I've just release Goggles Music Manager 0.9.14. We finally have a tray icon (thanks to oliwer ) which is implemented as a separate program communicating over dbus to GMM.It's written in GTK, but potentially can be written in any language that supprts dbus. oliwer came up with a nicer application icon as well.

I also made it easier to change the colors and font from within GMM and can now be applied without restarting GMM. It includes some presets for clearlooks and some of the new KDE 4.1 color schemes.

The last.fm submitter has been rewritten to be threaded so that DNS lookups don't lock up the whole GUI anymore. NetworkManager is also supported to wakeup the last.fm submitter once a network connection comes available.

Hopefully in a 'community' repository soon near you!

wahoo! trayicon support + kde4 color scheme = Happy Rasi smile

Too sad tray icon is gtk - does it support argb (rgba)? Otherwise it wont work very well on kde4

*edit* wait.. that screenshot actually IS kde4, haha.. great indeed!

Last edited by Rasi (2008-08-02 18:01:07)

Douglas Adams

#38 2008-08-08 10:28:59

Rasi
Website

It seems i was right.. the systray icon does not draw properly in kde4... the old gtk rubbish, grrr...

Douglas Adams

#39 2008-08-08 18:06:58

GogglesGuy
Website

Rasi wrote:

It seems i was right.. the systray icon does not draw properly in kde4... the old gtk rubbish, grrr...

That's too bad. Maybe you can find a volunteer to write the tray program in QT....

#40 2008-08-08 23:12:18

synorgy
Website

I have to say that while this program will not pull me away from ncmpc+sonata+mpd, it's damn nice. Reminds me a LOT of a program for windows called MusikCube that I used for a while while I was tired of custo'ing foobar2000.

I rather like the FOX toolkit look, but it's a shame it doesn't integrate with any other programs I use (gtk). I wish I could find a DE that used fox or find a decent number of programs (with comparable quality to this) that used fox.

Good work, Goggles. I hope this keeps up - it's VERY nice.

"Unix is basically a simple operating system, but you have to be a genius to understand the simplicity." (Dennis Ritchie)

#41 2008-08-09 19:54:20

anrxc
Website

You wrote a great application, I've been searching for an amarok replacement for a while now; banshee, exaile, ryhtmbox... are all bloated crap IMO. Gogglesmm comes close, it could use; some shoutcast integration, podcast/xml tracking, equalizer (amarok's xine plugin has it). I also noticed that opening an mp3 trough a browser or a file manager does nothing.

Thanks.

Last edited by anrxc (2008-08-09 20:00:40)

You need to install an RTFM interface.

#42 2008-08-10 21:14:44

voteforpedro36

$ gmm
segmentation fault
$

I don't know what to say.

#43 2008-08-10 22:02:41

GogglesGuy
Website

voteforpedro36 wrote:
$ gmm
segmentation fault
$

(just looking through the code, I think you probably don't have the dbus session bus running... a fix will be out soon)

Interesting, would you be able to build a debug version and run it through the debugger?

In the GMM source directory:

> make clean
> ./configure --enable-debug
> make

After the build is done:

> gdb src/musicmanager

then in the gdb prompt:

> r

once crashed:

> where

Last edited by GogglesGuy (2008-08-10 22:49:18)

#44 2008-08-10 22:16:51

GogglesGuy
Website

anrxc wrote:

You wrote a great application, I've been searching for an amarok replacement for a while now; banshee, exaile, ryhtmbox... are all bloated crap IMO. Gogglesmm comes close, it could use; some shoutcast integration, podcast/xml tracking, equalizer (amarok's xine plugin has it)
Thanks.

Thanks! I definitly need to see what the Amarok guys have done with their equalizer. The one in Xine has a lot of issues. What type of shoutcast integration would you like to see (besides playing a stream)?

. I also noticed that opening an mp3 trough a browser or a file manager does nothing.

It seems that got broken with the new dbus feature in GMM. I'll see if I can fix that soonish.

#45 2008-08-13 21:33:37

voteforpedro36

GogglesGuy wrote:
voteforpedro36 wrote:
$ gmm
segmentation fault
$

(just looking through the code, I think you probably don't have the dbus session bus running... a fix will be out soon)

Interesting, would you be able to build a debug version and run it through the debugger?

In the GMM source directory:

> make clean
> ./configure --enable-debug
> make

After the build is done:

> gdb src/musicmanager

then in the gdb prompt:

> r

once crashed:

> where

New version works, or I would debug for you.

#46 2008-08-15 10:28:41

Rasi
Website

Since i am too stupid to find out how googles bug tracker works (I can only submit defects, but wonder how to submit enhancements), i do it here...

Some usability hints:

Make GMM more mouse independent
e.g. if you rightclick the sources panel and chose "Create Playlist" you have to click on create.. a simple push of the Enter Button seems logical to work too, but it doesnt.

Sync Right click menus with actual features
e.g.: Rightclick an Artist/Album should include add to Playlist - same for songs in a playlist window (move to playlist)

Fix Tagger
Rightclick a bunch of songs and chose "Edit" does not show any tags - it should at least show the ones valid for all files. *1

And another little thing: Double clicking a title in Music Library shouldnt actually play all tracks that follow it. Instead it would be more logical to add that one file to a (defined) default playlist (or replace the content, make it an option) and stop after the one added track (if you have added more songs to playlist, continue playing those, of course).

Also playlists dont have the ability to show tracknumbers, which makes it hard to order tracks in the right order, once you have played with it.

*1 Apart from that: are you open for a different approach of a tagging system? This is how foobar handles tags. Variables and an easy (and espacially fast) way of handling multiple files make it very powerful.

tx75yy3c.png

thats Foobars Properties window, it has this tag overview. Here you can simply click an entry, write your stuff and hit enter. Cursor Keys move up and down. (Previous versions automatically moved to next entry on enter, which was really nice). The Properties Tag shows some technical info, like bitrate, replaygain info and codec.

5htgjv5f.png

This is the Tools menu at the bottom. Clicking the Add field gives you this (totally freeform dialog)

f8vnr6wp.png

Using the dropdown you get a list with the most commonly used tag fields, but you can enter whatever you like.
If you chose Title and then write something like track1;track2;track3:track4, the title names will be added in the order your files are present in the playlist.

3bdxn26v.png

This is also in the Tools Menu of the Editor. Its extra, because here are all the hidden advanced features like powerful usage of variables to fill tags from filenames (easy example on the screenshot)

ay52np4c.png

This is the same thing as the work with ";" in the "Add field" dialog, just a different approach

While I agree, that one could just use a different tool for file tagging, GMM already has a) a database and b) a basic tagging system which are 2 good reasons to use and advance it.
And i guess those things i presented are rather basic usages of tags.

Last edited by Rasi (2008-08-15 11:08:41)

Douglas Adams

#47 2008-08-15 14:51:03

GogglesGuy
Website

Rasi wrote:

Since i am too stupid to find out how googles bug tracker works (I can only submit defects, but wonder how to submit enhancements), i do it here...

You can change the label "Type-Defect" to "Type-Enhancement". Or file it as a bug report. I'll make sure those labels will be put in correctly smile

Rasi wrote:

Some usability hints:
Make GMM more mouse independent
e.g. if you rightclick the sources panel and chose "Create Playlist" you have to click on create.. a simple push of the Enter Button seems logical to work too, but it doesnt.

Indeed. (http://code.google.com/p/gogglesmm/issues/detail?id=58)

Rasi wrote:

Sync Right click menus with actual features
e.g.: Rightclick an Artist/Album should include add to Playlist - same for songs in a playlist window (move to playlist)

I had something similar like that. Basically a "Add to Playlist" with a submenu to choose which playlist you want to add it too. It wasn't that easy to use, since you always have to go into the submenu to choose the playlist. That's why I only implemented the Drag-and-Drop  way since it is much easier to use IMHO.

Rasi wrote:

Fix Tagger
Rightclick a bunch of songs and chose "Edit" does not show any tags - it should at least show the ones valid for all files. *1

Indeed. ( I was being lazy here).  (http://code.google.com/p/gogglesmm/issues/detail?id=41)

Rasi wrote:

And another little thing: Double clicking a title in Music Library shouldnt actually play all tracks that follow it. Instead it would be more logical to add that one file to a (defined) default playlist (or replace the content, make it an option) and stop after the one added track (if you have added more songs to playlist, continue playing those, of course).

A playing queue has been often requested. (kind of similar like the "Party Mode" in Rhythmbox). It's already in the feature request list.

(http://code.google.com/p/gogglesmm/issues/detail?id=25)

Rasi wrote:

Also playlists dont have the ability to show tracknumbers, which makes it hard to order tracks in the right order, once you have played with it.

They actually do (but not by default). Try right clicking in the tracklist or on the tracklist headers, or in the menu View->Configure Columns.

I'll take a look at the rest of your post later this weekend.

Last edited by GogglesGuy (2008-08-15 14:59:35)

#48 2008-08-20 15:02:28

GogglesGuy
Website

Rasi wrote:

Apart from that: are you open for a different approach of a tagging system? This is how foobar handles tags. Variables and an easy (and espacially fast) way of handling multiple files make it very powerful.

http://www.bilderhoster.net/thumbs/tx75yy3c.png

thats Foobars Properties window, it has this tag overview. Here you can simply click an entry, write your stuff and hit enter. Cursor Keys move up and down. (Previous versions automatically moved to next entry on enter, which was really nice). The Properties Tag shows some technical info, like bitrate, replaygain info and codec.

http://www.bilderhoster.net/thumbs/5htgjv5f.png

This is the Tools menu at the bottom. Clicking the Add field gives you this (totally freeform dialog)

http://www.bilderhoster.net/thumbs/f8vnr6wp.png

Using the dropdown you get a list with the most commonly used tag fields, but you can enter whatever you like.

It's not that i'm against the freeform tags (and would even consider adding it to the tag editor), but it would be a lot harder to tie this to the rest of the program (show items as columns in the tracklist for example). Also the database design would give me headaches. Time maybe rather spend on other features...

Rasi wrote:

If you chose Title and then write something like track1;track2;track3:track4, the title names will be added in the order your files are present in the playlist.

http://www.bilderhoster.net/thumbs/3bdxn26v.png

This is also in the Tools Menu of the Editor. Its extra, because here are all the hidden advanced features like powerful usage of variables to fill tags from filenames (easy example on the screenshot)

http://www.bilderhoster.net/thumbs/ay52np4c.png

This is the same thing as the work with ";" in the "Add field" dialog, just a different approach

While I agree, that one could just use a different tool for file tagging, GMM already has a) a database and b) a basic tagging system which are 2 good reasons to use and advance it. And i guess those things i presented are rather basic usages of tags.

I'll keep these in mind when improving the tag editor. Mind you, I think these are kind of overkill for most users. In my "world" most tags are already set correctly (since I rip them from my own cds), may only need minor adjustments. I guess if you have files from "other sources", they could be totally screwed up and need such flexibility...

#49 2008-09-17 16:44:04

GogglesGuy
Website

In case you have noticed, there seems to be some buggy behaviour when browsing playlists. I'm suspecting it is a bug in the latest sqlite 3.6.* library. I've opened a bug report.

Last edited by GogglesGuy (2008-09-17 16:44:43)

#50 2008-12-12 00:15:02

anrxc
Website

Hi, as I'm now making the switch from amarok I installed goggles again. First to answer the earlier question about shoutcast, I would like a shoutcast item like "Internet Radio" which fetches the latest list when opened... and ofcourse plays a selected stream. Anyway, to more important things...

I also noticed that opening an mp3 trough a browser or a file manager does nothing.

This is fixed, but not quite. I use a great script called edna (http://edna.sourceforge.net) on my file server, which generates playlists from directories that contain music and also creates links to download (or play) file by file selectively. If I click on download, an URL like this is generated: http://192.168.0.1:9000/Album/song.mp3 and if gmm is selected to open it, it plays fine. Playlists on the other hand do not, those m3u playlists contain entries like this url for every file in a given directory.
If I create a new "Internet Radio" station and provide the same link to a playlist then it plays fine, but only the first item.

It's not easy to reorder "Internet Radio" streams, so I came to the idea of custom genres and sorting by genre... then goggles segfaulted, with this in the system log:
gmm[26102]: segfault at 28 ip b7ed6f8a sp bfd4ecc0 error 4 in libFOX-1.6.so.0.0.34[b7cb7000+340000]

Sorting by any other method, number, station... works fine.

Is there any plan for podcast support? Again, item like "Internet Radio" which knows how to read xml "stations". I put up with numerous amarok bugs just because of it's solid podcast support, apparently there is no simple player that supports them; audacious, mpd clients... (could we still call them simple if they did? podcasts are such a common thing these days...)

I definitly need to see what the Amarok guys have done with their equalizer. The one in Xine has a lot of issues

Eq can really make a difference on laptop speakers or headphones.

You need to install an RTFM interface.

Board footer