You are not logged in.

#1 2004-08-12 15:45:38

dpb

Pacman in FreeBSD!

Hi all!

I've been hacking pacman today to build in freebsd and finally got it done!  big_smile  big_smile  big_smile
I made the building a bit more portable. Had to add a couple of #include files, make configure.in check some extra stuff. Also had to change the install part in Makefile.in so freebsd's install would install it (there's no -D option in freebsd install).

I haven't yet tried if pacman works ok in linux with the patch. Gonna do that soon though.

[EDIT] Tried it, seems to work nicely with linux too. smile [/EDIT]

Would it be possible to add these changes to pacman if it works, to make pacman more portable?

-dpb

Ps. the patch (and a PKGBUILD for pacman and a pacman package for freebsd) can be found here.

#2 2004-08-12 20:55:14

sarah31
Website

Re: Pacman in FreeBSD!

but isn't there already ports for BSD? MInd you I don't know if it does dependency handling like pacman. (btw, don't forget to change the build flags  in makepkg.conf or whatever that file is)

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#3 2004-08-13 12:40:14

scottro
Website

Heh I'll have to give this a try.

Sarah, to answer your question, ports is a source build thing.

There is pkg_add -r which is binary, works like pacman or apt-get, though of course, there are differences

#4 2004-08-13 14:45:25

sarah31
Website

well yes i know it is a source build system as crux uses it too. But in order to use pacman in BSD you will have to build the packages first. So why build, make a db, then install  (and possibly have to patch along the way ) when ports is just build and install?

It is like why use arch like gentoo when the idea of arch is to have precompiled binaries. it just perplexes me.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#5 2004-08-14 01:35:30

tehdely
Website

I helped out with this port, and for a good reason, too.  Having pacman on as many platforms as possible is a good thing, especially when you have plans in the works (like I do) to develop a cross-platform desktop environment based on GNUstep which uses pacman as its package manager.  This way the packages can be kept in sync across distros and it can be much simpler to distribute.

I don't predict Arch itself as a platform will end up on BSD, but you never know.  It could become the Linux world's equivalent of NetBSD pkgsrc... a portable, cross-platform package tool and tree.

[Arch GNUstep Repository] [ PKGBUILDS ]
[code][gnustep]
Server = ftp://blkwidow.lerp.com/pub/mirror/arch/gnustep[/code]

#6 2004-08-16 07:54:27

dpb

tehdely wrote:

I helped out with this port, and for a good reason, too.

I was planning on giving credit for you on my post, but forgot... roll

tehdely wrote:

Having pacman on as many platforms as possible is a good thing, especially when you have plans in the works (like I do) to develop a cross-platform desktop environment based on GNUstep which uses pacman as its package manager.

I got plans with it too. I'm not going to use pacman with plain FreeBSD. I'll share my plans to the world when they're a bit more mature. (Though some people know about them already...) smile

#7 2004-08-17 02:23:39

tehdely
Website

dpb wrote:
tehdely wrote:

I helped out with this port, and for a good reason, too.

I was planning on giving credit for you on my post, but forgot... roll

I didn't expect you would because it was about two lines of Makefile.in and a few extra environment vars.  I only mentioned it because I wanted to explain why Pacman on BSD is a good thing  big_smile

[Arch GNUstep Repository] [ PKGBUILDS ]
[code][gnustep]
Server = ftp://blkwidow.lerp.com/pub/mirror/arch/gnustep[/code]

Board footer