You are not logged in.

#1 2008-05-31 00:54:58

dsr

Install Arch Linux PPC with PPPoE

Hi, I'm attempting to install the PowerPC version of Arch on an 800 MHz iMac G4. My Internet connection uses PPPoE, so I tried setting up pppd before running "/arch/setup". Unfortunately, "pppd call pppoe" failed because the installer ISO's kernel was not compiled with PPPoE support. I need net access for the install because Arch Linux PPC only comes with an FTP ISO, not a core one. The Arch Linux PPC install guide doesn't mention pppoe, and the official Arch Linux install guide says that "ppp utilities, rp-pppoe and the ISDN userspace utilities are included in the installation media" which is evidently not the case for Arch Linux PPC. Is there any way that I can use PPPoE for the install?

#2 2008-07-03 20:27:04

fatlarry

Re: Install Arch Linux PPC with PPPoE

If I recall correctly, it should be transparent- you are not expected to set the connection explicitly- the setup is smart enough to find it itself. I have DSL and that uses pppoe as well, but unless you are logging the first time to your ISP, you should not care to set it. From your box' point of view, you have a local LAN- only thing you need is to wake up your NIC using "ifconfig" :

# ifconfig eth0 up

(if   # ifconfig all   does not show you eth0 and an IP for it )

I have done my install on x86, but I am pretty sure they are not that different. Once you get an IP and your eth0 comes alive, pacman goes over the net and grabs packages for you.

Board footer