You are not logged in.

#1 2004-08-11 21:15:01

lilsirecho
Veteran

Pacman -Syu fails with corrupted files (Solved in a way)

Attempting to load a HDD with arch via arch 0.5 CD.

HDD boots into root and pacman-2.8.3-2.pkg.tar.gz loaded into HDD.

Pacman -Syu downloads the standard files per arch0.5 base pkgs.

Pacman fails to install the following (error ...corrupted files.pkg.tar.gz) :::             
xorg
emacs
ethereal
gaim
glibc
irssr
lesstif
perl
    qt
    vim
    xemacs

The trial to load the latest kernel26 also produced an error ..."corrupted files pkg.tar.gz"

Cannot get the system upgraded this way!!!!

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#2 2004-08-12 03:37:51

colnago

Re: Pacman -Syu fails with corrupted files (Solved in a way)

Did you copy those files from the CD?  If you downloaded them, maybe a problem with your eth0 or whatever.                               

You could try deleting them in /var/cache/pacman/pkg/... and then pacman -Syu again.  it will try to download again from the net.  Maybe just try one w/o deps like ethereal and see if that works, since there are a few bigger ones.

#3 2004-08-12 04:41:26

lilsirecho
Veteran

Coinage;

The files were entered from the CD.  Perhaps the CD reader corrupted the cache files.

I will give your suggestion a shot.

When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#4 2004-08-12 05:00:01

lilsirecho
Veteran

Downloaded ethereal and associated pcre pkgs successfully using pacman after removing ethereal from the cache file.

I assume I can do the same for the other eleven files and then attempt to call for the kernel26 upgrade.

Will proceed with that idea.  CUL.

#5 2004-08-12 14:53:56

lilsirecho
Veteran

Performed the remove procedure many times on the pkgs identified as corrupted.  Some of the corrupted files appeared again with deps when running pacman -Syu.

Since at least one of the downloaded files always is corrupted(except ethereal which loaded with dep) the remaining files also downloaded do not get installed.

xorg has consistently been corrupted and after three tries had deps added which never installed either.

Perhaps I have to do each pkg separately.

Have to solve this puzzle or no arch system....

#6 2004-08-12 15:03:52

Moo-Crumpus

You may delete your broken local packages again, edit the pacman.conf, and give another server the highest priority. Installing arch for several times, I found out some mirrored files had damages.

Frumpus addict
[mu'.krum.pus], [frum.pus]

#7 2004-08-12 20:58:18

sarah31
Website

you are using the most current pacman, right? Could it be the mirror you are using is corrupting the downloads.

i think this issue came up before on the forum so I thought i would ask if you did a search (i assume you did )?

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#8 2004-08-12 21:59:23

lilsirecho
Veteran

Latest pacman is requested at the outset and was loaded without corrupt error.

As to a search of the forums, since it is related to pacman, i looked thru the recent posts but found no reference to corrupted files.

Searching the forums doesn't always result in a title depicting the problem actually discussed in the posts.

Last gasp effort will be to try to understand how to use a different mirror; why is it necessary since all use of pacman up to the recent hdd restore have been without such a devilish and frustrating complication?

How many other newbies have run into this?  They would quit trying!!!1

#9 2004-08-13 04:53:18

lilsirecho
Veteran

Examined the pacman files to determine how to find another mirror.

Downloaded netselect pkg as recommended.  I am very lucky it downloaded and installed!!!!

Examined the procedure outlined in pacman.conf.

I am not able to understand where netselect pkg is put to use nor where the mirrors are listed.

I am certain a newbie performing the procedures I have utilized to install arch via CD would be unable to "upgrade after loading in the base pkg" because he would be faced with the same "corrupted pkgs" with no clue as to what to do next.

I have no clue either and no arch system.  Pacman fails miserably!!!  Corrupts files and causes frustration and confusion when the downloads are improper.  Finding a solution is even further frustration if netselect is also corrupted upon download.

A simple mirror select program is needed as well as a program which lists the corrupted files just downloaded so they can be deleted forthwith.

I am looking at a corrupted downloaded list of pkgs in /var/cache/pacman/pkg and am not certain which of them are corrupted.  Because I cannot find a new mirror (is it also corrupted) I am unable to repair the damage because the mirror installed with the arch0.5 CD is always corrupted.  Catch 22.

In fact, each time I try downloading, the list of corrupt files and deps changes for the same pkg.  It doesn't even agree with itself!!!

A change in pacman repair procedure is sorely needed in the face of corrupt downloads.

I am weary of trials with pacman and after pacman comes all the fixes necessary for USB, DVD, sound, mplayer, fstab,cdroms, USB2.0, pt's, permissions, lilo, X11config, and kde start.

I am shut out from arch by its own recommended procedures.

#10 2004-08-13 06:50:02

IceRAM
Website

Err... I once had problems with pacman (corrupted DB) but they all turned out to be caused by the lack of free space or improper stop of it (like Ctrl+C in the middle of the upgrading process). Are you sure these things never happened to you?

#11 2004-08-13 14:45:54

Moo-Crumpus

lilsirecho wrote:

Examined the pacman files to determine how to find another mirror.

Just edit /etc/pacman.conf, and have a look at it. The fisrt server definition in a section is the first one to be used, the second line means the second server etc. You don't need to use netselect, jsut switch some lines in a text file.

lilsirecho wrote:

I have no clue either and no arch system.  Pacman fails miserably!!!  Corrupts files and causes frustration and confusion when the downloads are improper.  Finding a solution is even further frustration if netselect is also corrupted upon download.

A simple mirror select program is needed as well as a program which lists the corrupted files just downloaded so they can be deleted forthwith.

It would be helpful, if pacman would check the downloads. If a package was corrupted, pacman could start to fetch it from another source.

lilsirecho wrote:

Because I cannot find a new mirror (is it also corrupted) I am unable to repair the damage because the mirror installed with the arch0.5 CD is always corrupted.  Catch 22.

Just raise a server line inside pacman.conf in a section. Read the definitions, find out, which one seems to be near to you, and use it. Maybe the download is slow, but if the packages are not corrupted, it is a start. If in doubt, use archlinux.org first. Their packages should not be damaged.

Frumpus addict

#12 2004-08-13 17:15:41

lilsirecho
Veteran

Pacman.conf listing;
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------#
# /etc/pacman.conf
#
# NOTE: If you find a mirror that is geographically close to you, please
#       move it to the top of the server list, so pacman will choose it
#       first.
#
# To re-sort your mirror lists by ping/traceroute results, use the
# /usr/bin/sortmirrors.pl script.  It requires the "netselect" package.
#
#     # sortmirrors.pl </etc/pacman.conf >pacman.conf.new
#

# See the pacman manpage for option directives

#
# GENERAL OPTIONS
#
[options]
LogFile     = /var/log/pacman.log
NoUpgrade   = etc/passwd etc/group etc/shadow
NoUpgrade   = etc/fstab etc/raidtab etc/ld.so.conf
NoUpgrade   = etc/rc.conf etc/rc.local
NoUpgrade   = etc/modprobe.conf etc/modules.conf
NoUpgrade   = etc/lilo.conf boot/grub/menu.lst
HoldPkg     = pacman glibc
#XferCommand = /usr/bin/wget --passive-ftp -c -O %o %u

#
# REPOSITORIES
#   - can be defined here or included from another file
#   - pacman will search repositories in the order defined here.
#   - local/custom mirrors can be added here, above the respective Include
#     for that repository
#

Include = /etc/pacman.d/current

Include = /etc/pacman.d/extra

#Include = /etc/pacman.d/unstable

# An example of a custom package repository.  See the pacman manpage for
# tips on creating your own repositories.
#[custom]
#Server = file:///home/custompkgs

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I do not see a list of mirrors to select from in this file.  I have no idea how to use the netselect referred to and cannot understand the procedure to "find  mirror close to you".
I want a mirror with no corrupted pkgs.

I suspect that the real problem is not corrupted pkgs on the mirrors but is a corrupted drive.

I have a post in newbie forum about a failed ID name which occurred after a pacman upgrade.  I attempted to fix that and erroneously wiped out my arch HDD.

The HDD with the bad ID will not cfdisk in arch0.5CD procedures.  It states;

/boot:32:ext2:swap:256:swap
                 /:*:ext3   is not valid
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Attempt to do the partition manually fails.

I am currently unable to repair the drive with the bad ID (none) and unable to rebuild the other drive which was erroneously wiped in cfdisk.  All problems are related to pacman upgrades, this latest the most serious .

Cannot understand why the arch 0.5CD procedures fail to permit upgrade whether due to mirror or otherwise!!!!!

Cannot find another mirror with the proedures given and don't expect it to correct the problem.  It seems to be related to pacman itself.  You may find it does the same to your install of arch from scratch should you try it.

My 79th birthday is Sunday and I have lost my arch system.

#13 2004-08-13 17:28:42

Moo-Crumpus

OK, as you have NO server entries, pacman can't fetch anything through the web at all. Was I wrong when I thought you tried to fetch the packages from the web, after you recieved broken packages from your cd?

If I was right, it would be helpfull to send you a full featured pacman.conf. I will do so, when I am at home, and have my lap connected to the web.

smile

Frumpus addict

#14 2004-08-13 19:09:43

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Pink Chick wrote:

OK, as you have NO server entries, pacman can't fetch anything through the web at all.

The Include = lines refer to files that almost undoubtedly have server entries for fetching from the web.

Dusty

#15 2004-08-13 19:26:15

Moo-Crumpus

,,, it is my pacman is older ...  :oops:

Frumpus addict

#16 2004-08-14 03:29:46

lilsirecho
Veteran

The picture I am getting regarding the corrupted files is that the files entered into /var/cache/pacman/pkgs by the install CD are corrupted.  The statement that a given file named *.pkg.tar.gz is corrupted is ambiguous since either the internal cache is corrupted or the download upgrade is corrupted.

Can a user determine whether a given file is corrupt without trying to upgrade it thru pacman?

If my pacman.conf is incorrect is that why the rest of the download is corrupted?  Or should I ask for a post of the correct pacman.conf for pacman latest upgrade as loaded before -Syu was executed.  If it is in error, please advise.

Assuming it is my cache that is in error, I can try re-install of arch CD.

I downloaded arch 0.6 preparatory to burning it to cd .  The CD would not burn in windows OS.  So cannot burn a new CD since I have no means in arch 0.5 HDD at this time (corrupted).

Tried running k3b in Knoppix and the system hung.even with 2GB ram.

#17 2004-08-14 16:51:25

lilsirecho
Veteran

Reducd ram to 512MB.

Entered Pacman -Syu.
Error indicated xorg corrupted, removed from cache.
Again...pacman -Syu....remove Xfree86...error declaring xfree86 broken dependencies.
Then,....pacman -Rd xfree86
and......pacman -S xfree86  to re-install xfree86 with dependencies.  Pacman then loaded all pkgs.....uname -a ...... listed  linux-2.4.27-1

Then .....pacman -S kernel26

Error ; kernel26-2.6.7-1 is corrupted.
then,  rm kernel26-2.6.7-1.pkg.tar.gz from cache.

Run.....pacman -S kernel26

Kernel and dependencies installed.

Next;....cd /etc...... nano lilo.conf...edited for kernel(s).

Run /sbin/lilo -v...... Accepted changes.

Next, .....pacman -S Kde

Installed all kde and dependencies....

Next,.....pacman -S k3b.....

Installed k3b

Next step....edit xfree86 Config......

The problem with corrupted files might have been caused by the large ram (2GB) initially present on the computer.  The above install details occurred with a single stick of 512MB.

It is also possible that the mirror transferred the data correctly during this attempt at upgrade  as opposed to the corrupted data previously encountered.  This seems evident since the kernel26 corrupted file was enteredi into cache prior to this last successful install.  The corrupted kernel26 file is not included in arch0.5CD so it seems the corruption did not come from the archCD.

Two possibilities remain...corrupted download or improper ram performance with added ram.
Thus;  ram-induced corruption of the kernel26 file is a possibility since the large ram was present when it was downloaded into cache initially.

Perhaps someone has had a similar experience?

Thanks to all for supporting advice and comments.

Board footer