You are not logged in.

#1 2008-07-04 18:34:17

kdorf

[SOLVED] NVIDIA X Settings won't "stick"

I've got kind of a weird problem that I've been looking for a solution to but I haven't yet been able to find any.

I'm running Warcraft III through Wine on a widescreen monitor. Those that have played know it doesn't support widescreen resolutions (apparently for "balancing reasons") and to make it look the best I'd like to use aspect ratio scaling so that it just chops the left and right edges off of the screen so that it will display in 4:3.

I set that option in the NVIDIA utility, and it works until the X server is restarted. If I try to launch Warcraft III after restarting X, it will take up the whole screen and look stretched out and ugly.

Apparently, though, just starting the configuration utility is enough to reapply the settings. The screen flickers, and the utility comes up. Then if I boot Warcraft, everything works as I would expect. The flickering that occurs when the configuration program boots up also only happens once until X is restarted.

Is there something I'm missing? I'd like to think that NV was smart enough to apply the settings to X on boot, but that doesn't appear to be the case. Has anybody encountered this problem before and, if so, have there been any elegant soluions?

Last edited by kdorf (2008-07-04 23:40:54)

#2 2008-07-04 18:52:32

buttons

Re: [SOLVED] NVIDIA X Settings won't "stick"

kdorf wrote:

Is there something I'm missing? I'd like to think that NV was smart enough to apply the settings to X on boot, but that doesn't appear to be the case. Has anybody encountered this problem before and, if so, have there been any elegant soluions?

As you've noticed, nvidia-settings apply when you ask them to, which is when you run the program.  Where's it supposed to stick the settings "on boot?"  In your gnome session manager? KDE? .xinitrc?  Makes quite a bit more sense to leave it be and let us decide.

That said, they could be a bit more forthcoming about what to put in any of the above if you want the settings to take effect.

nvidia-settings -l

That's an L for 'load settings from config file and don't start the gtk interface'

An interesting note is that, since this loads everything from the config file, you can't actually save overclocking settings this way.  This is because they won't save from the gtk interface, unlike everything else.

Overclocking example:

nvidia-settings -a GPUOverclockingState=1 -a GPU3DClockFreqs=495,1113

Stick an extra -l in there to do both.

Cthulhu For President!

#3 2008-07-04 19:19:13

kdorf

Re: [SOLVED] NVIDIA X Settings won't "stick"

Makes sense -- guess I kind of went into Windows-thinking when the issue of video drivers came up.

Thanks. smile

Board footer