You are not logged in.

#1 2008-07-05 20:38:23

Rinaldus
Website

Updating customized kernel

I had to recompile default kernel to enable several parameters. But when I installed kernel update via pacman -Syu, it installed default kernel settings again, all my custom settings were lost. I have to recompile it again. How to make Arch remember my kernel settings and apply them during next kernel update?

Sorry for my bad English. smile

#2 2008-07-05 21:27:46

tomk
Forum Fellow

Re: Updating customized kernel

When customising the kernel, you should also change the package name and kernel name i.e. the name shown by uname -r. This will ensure that pacman does not overwrite your changes. See the wiki here: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Cus … n_with_ABS

To expand a little further on that, bear in mind that the kernel package provided by pacman is prepared by a member of the dev team, based on the default Arch kernel config. Clearly, there is no way that the dev can be aware of any changes you have decided to make to the kernel package on your own system. The responsibility for upgrading a customised kernel package rests solely with the user.

#3 2008-07-05 21:30:44

Rinaldus
Website

Copy the file .config which is in the directory of your old kernel and put it in the directory of your new kernel.
Then configure the new kernel with the command menu oldconfig.

I customized kernel via ABS. Should I copy my new config to /var/abs/core/kernel26/ ?

Sorry for my bad English. smile

#4 2008-07-05 22:25:25

biagio

Yes.
(be careful not to overwrite the previous kernel, change the name)

#5 2008-07-06 09:14:38

dyscoria

Ahem, i wouldn't copy it to /var/abs/core/kernel26 as such. That'll be lost the next time you run 'abs'. Do this instead.

cp -R /var/abs/core/kernel26 /var/abs/local

Note, you can also do this to obtain the configuration of the kernel you are currently running:

zcat /proc/config.gz > /var/abs/local/kernel26/.config

flack 2.0.6: menu-driven BASH script to easily tag FLAC files (AUR)
knock-once 1.2: BASH script to easily create/send one-time sequences for knockd (forum/AUR)

Board footer