You are not logged in.

#1 2008-05-16 07:34:26

darkfoon

Dynamic audio streaming

Ok, so I've tried several solutions, but I keep coming up empty, and I'm to the point where I think it may be impossible.

So, I've got a file server with a shared folder where anybody can upload files. I'm trying to find an application (and configure it) that will stream audio files (.mp3, .flac, .ogg, etc.) in that directory, without transcoding them to another format (wrapping them in another container format is to be expected) thus degrading the audio quality.
Order doesn't matter, actually, random is what I had in mind.
If possible, I'd like to get it to automatically update the file listing when new files are added to the directory.
By streaming, I mean like any PC client can "tune in". Not streaming to a specific device (e.g. networked stereo)

Basically, I'm going for a "set it and forget it" solution where I just turn on the box and once it's all booted up, it begins streaming random songs from that directory, and updates the "playlist" when new songs are added.

I've tried icecast, MPD, and VLC. I'm really rooting for VLC because I know I haven't exhausted all possibilities with it.

Thank you for your time and your assistance. Please PM me or post with any questions about clarification. I'm very eager to learn and help you help me.

Last edited by darkfoon (2008-05-16 07:36:55)

#2 2008-05-16 19:28:02

Frem
Website

Re: Dynamic audio streaming

Have you looked into Slimserver? http://www.slimdevices.com/pi_features.html
I don't know much about it, but it came up several times when I googled around.

Edna also sounds similar to what you want to do. http://edna.sourceforge.net/

#3 2008-05-17 13:52:54

darkfoon

I've tried slimserver. It doesn't quite do what I want. It also doesn't support .flac, which most of my music is in.

Edna, while not *exactly* what I'm looking for, may be the closest I will get.

I'm still looking for other solutions.
Thanks Frem.

#4 2008-05-17 13:55:57

darkfoon

Is it possible for me to chain commands on the command-line (in a shell script, for example) that will automatically update a playlist when the directory contents change and then feed that playlist to VLC (with random on) for streaming?

I just thought of it, but I don't know any commands that would do that for me.

(*edited for clarity*)

Last edited by darkfoon (2008-05-17 13:56:50)

#5 2008-05-18 02:17:23

Frem
Website

Does Tracker have a command line interface? If so, you might be able to rig something up with that; make a script that polls tracker about the directory, sends the list to a playlist generator, then sleeps for five minutes and loops.

#6 2008-07-07 22:37:51

darkfoon

Sorry for the long time to respond, been very busy with schooling.

Unfortunately, tracker doesn't solve my problem.

Are there any other solutions?

Board footer