You are not logged in.

#1 2008-03-10 21:59:26

ninjaprawn

CUPS and a lexmark Z615 with kde

hi, i cant get the lexmark z615 working. im using a new install of arch with the full kde.

I did the following;

pacman -S cups ghostscript gsfonts gutenprint
modprobe usblp
/etc/rc.d/cups start

then went;
Control Center -> Peripherals -> Printers -> Add Printer / Class -> Next -> Local Printer (Parallel, Serial, USB) -> Then select the Printer in the List -> Then there are no drivers Listed!!

I canceled the install, and started again! this time, Local Printer (Parallel, Serial, USB) was greyed out and unselectable!

HELP!!!!!!!!!

2007 - Started using Arch Linux as my only/main OS
- Samsung Series 3, Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3210M CPU @ 2.50GHz - 8Gb DDR3 ram - 700Gb HDD
On board intel Graphics & Sound

#2 2008-03-10 22:25:32

ninjaprawn

Re: CUPS and a lexmark Z615 with kde

ok, i reinstalled everythin, and got it installed, kinda!

Im getting the following error every time i test a page.

A print error occurred. Error message received from system:

cupsdoprint -P 'printer' -J 'KDE Print Test' -H 'localhost:631' -U 'root' -o ' multiple-document-handling=separate-documents-uncollated-copies orientation-requested=3' '/opt/kde/share/apps/kdeprint/testprint.ps' : execution failed with message:
client-error-not-authorized

any idea? do i need to add my user name to a printing group? if so, what is it called?

- Samsung Series 3, Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3210M CPU @ 2.50GHz - 8Gb DDR3 ram - 700Gb HDD

#3 2008-07-07 22:05:16

Klasw

I have the same problem.

#4 2008-07-07 22:27:57

ninjaprawn

sorry, i did figure it out, but cant remember what i did exactly!!

i went to the lexmark website, downloaded the .rpm for red hat, there is a program in the repos to extract an rpm, i just put the .rpm in my root folder, then ran the program to extract it, then used the config tool build into kde to configure it, then it worked perfectly!!

i dont have the printer any more, so i cant really talk u through it, n that was all off memory from 3 months ago, but i just experimented with every bit of software i could find, but the .rpm did it!!

#5 2008-07-07 22:49:15

Klasw

I got my Epson Stylus CX3200 to function now, Its a multfunction printer (with scanner). I have to change the permission to 666 on:

/dev/usb/lp0
/etc/udev/rules.d/53-sane.rules
/etc/udev/rules.d/54-gphoto.rules (dont now if this realy is nesesery)

..then I whent to the web interface for Cups (localhost:631) and I had it function know again! It even function with over IPP for my client know (I had my old settings there, and I give the same name on the printer ion the server)!

Found some info about this on a Suse bugg reporting list. I dont now if you shuld call it a bugg, byt I dont think I you should need to change the permission every time you restart or unplugg the printer.

For the record, the printer stoped function after I had installed saned (for the scanner). That was a bit hard to (but an ather story).

The problem is of course that its to f*cking hard to get a printer (especially a multifunction one) to work in Linux. It never going to go in to main home users with this kind of installation problems. Mybee the developer of cups and sane need to do some work together?

Anyway,
thanks for the fast response

(excuse my bad english)

Last edited by Klasw (2008-07-07 22:53:58)

Board footer