You are not logged in.

#1 2008-07-08 02:15:30

Decapsuleur

Multiple problems after install (Multi-screen, Keyboard and X...)

Hi everyone,

I got around installing X and Openbox (following Cyrusm's advice of using a lightweight WM) but I am running into a bunch of problems that my friend, Google, doesn't seem to be able to help me with.
For your information, I am using an Asus G1S Laptop hooked-up to a dual screen setup (HDMI and VGA) and a Logitech Elite Keyboard (quite standard).

The first one I encountered is that while using my external keyboard, everytime I press a key it is registered a dozen times. This problem is not limited to X so numerous hours of "xorg.conf" tweaking were of no use.

Also, when I try to setup my two external screens using nvidia-settings, I can get my laptop's panel to work with the VGA monitor, with the HDMI monitor too but the three of them or VGA and HDMI won't work at all. The previous version would bring up a "Segmentation Fault" (Programming-101, nVidia ?) and hang X (the mouse is moving but Ctrl-Alt-BackSpace won't work and I can't switch to another tty...). The newest version isn't much better : I get the same result except the "Segmentation Fault" message is not outputted to the terminal window.

And then, I have another small problem : X's display will freeze for around 0.5 second every 10 seconds (approximately). I investigated using "htop" expecting to see a process' CPU usage spike at around the same time as X would freeze but everything seemed alright. hmm

Thanks a lot for your help smile

PS: Gosh... Ubuntu was so easy... lol wink (But I'll get this distro to work on my PC, no matter what !)

Board footer