You are not logged in.

#1 2008-02-04 23:38:25

fflarex

[solved] associating mailto: links in firefox/openbox...

Title is fairly self-explanatory, but I'm trying to figure out how to get firefox to open email links with claws-mail. I'm not sure how or even if it is possible to set system defaults in openbox since it is just a window manager, and there doesn't seem to be a firefox option for it.

Last edited by fflarex (2008-02-05 00:31:31)

#2 2008-02-05 00:11:59

colnago

Re: [solved] associating mailto: links in firefox/openbox...

This is from a mozilla help page:

Setting Firefox's email client in Linux

These steps will allow opening your desired email client in Linux when operating in Firefox and using its menus, or when activating an email link on a Firefox page:

1. In Firefox's Location (URL) Bar, enter "about:config" and then press <enter> or click "Go".
   2. With the cursor in the body of the resulting page, <right-click> the mouse.
   3. From the pop-up menu, select "New".
   4. From the next pop-up menu, select "String".
   5. In the pop-up dialog box "Enter preference name", enter "network.protocol-handler.app.mailto" (without quotes), and click "OK" (You might wish to cut-and-paste that phrase to ensure correct spelling).
   6. In the pop-up dialog box "? network.protocol-handler.app.mailto", enter "/usr/bin/kmail" without quotes [or the actual filesystem location of your desired email client] and click "OK". This should be the Full Path of the program, i.e. "/usr/bin/kmail", not just the path "/usr/bin".

Without restarting Firefox, you can test by opening or switching to another tab. from the Firefox top menu select, "File -> Send Link". Your desired email client should open.

If that doesn't happen, redo your steps, ensuring the spelling of your entries is correct, and ensure the actual Full Path of your desired mail client is entered.

Last edited by colnago (2008-02-05 00:12:18)

#3 2008-02-05 00:21:58

fflarex

Thanks, that worked fantastically but now I have another question.

The first time I tried to do this I misspelled the preference name. Does anyone know how to delete an about:config option?

EDIT: nevermind, it got rid of itself... somehow. Also, this is my 50th post!

Last edited by fflarex (2008-02-05 00:31:09)

#4 2008-06-26 17:38:10

Cippa Lippa

in firefox 3 this doesn't work anymore!

#5 2008-07-10 23:19:50

Cippa Lippa

I got how this works. You have to do this from within firefox, from the preferences panel, under applications tab

you search for mailto
make sure Use kmail is selected
Then click on application details in the mailto submenu and make sure the kmail is the only option available

then it starts working...

if it doesn't make sure that the address for kmail that firefox has is the correct one (for arch /opt/kde/bin/kmail)

Board footer