You are not logged in.

#1 2008-07-11 09:49:01

Jacek Poplawski
Website

automouning

Hello.

I always mount things by hand, I am interested how to make it user friendly, so person would need to know what is mount and what is device and just open photos or music in application.

If I understand correctly I need to:
1) install hal/dbus, start hal
2) put user in few groups
3) connect device (camera, player, etc)
4) click somewhere to open /mnt/something

The last step is strange. What exactly should I run to enter the mounted device? What will be the name of the directory? Why device is not mounted automatically but require some application?

And the most important question: what about /etc/fstab?

I have /dev/sdb configured as /mnt/pendrive in fstab. I connected camera then I started tuxcmd and entered /mnt/pendrive, it mounted itself. But without tuxcmd, directory /mnt/pendrive was empty. So tuxcmd does something.

Could you point me to step by step tutorial how to configure automouning in Linux?
There is hal in our wiki, but I don't understand how it's related to /etc/fstab, and I still don't understand what about gnome-volume-manager and what's required to make it all work without problems.

#2 2008-07-11 13:20:03

fwojciec

Re: automouning

If you're using gnome/nautilus then just remove all references to what you want to be dynamically mountable from /etc/fstab (hal will ignore everything that's in /etc/fstab) and you should be all set.  The same for xfce with thunar.  You can configure thunar/nautilus to either automount everything or mount only when you click on the device in question.  In a minimal WM like openbox you probably want to run "thunar --daemon&" along with your session. 

Some people use ivman, but I've no experience with that.  This thread also has some interesting ideas: http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=46944

#3 2008-07-11 14:08:20

Jacek Poplawski
Website

What if I don't want to access volume with thunar or other KDE/GNOME filemanager but by applications itself?

#4 2008-07-11 14:25:08

fwojciec

Nautilus, I think, mounts media automatically upon insertion; I'm not sure if this is what Thunar (or tunar-volman, more specifically) does by default but, in either case, it can be easily configured to behave that way -- so you'll find yourself using a file manager to unmount rather than mount most of the time. I've no idea about KDE.  Automatically mounted volumes are, naturally, visible to all applications (they are mounted to /media directory).

Last edited by fwojciec (2008-07-11 14:26:54)

#5 2008-07-12 13:39:05

Jacek Poplawski
Website

I started hal and ivman, seams to work.
But I don't know how to umount it.

Last edited by Jacek Poplawski (2008-07-12 14:40:43)

Board footer