You are not logged in.

#1 2007-08-31 12:32:38

Allan
Pacman
Website

WinXP emulation

What do people find best to emulate Windows XP.  I really need to run MSOffice for work.  I have tried Qemu but find the XP with just updates and office installed crashes... a lot.  I need to be able to get documents from Arch to windows using some sort of shared folder and I don't want to use closed source programs so that rules out VirtualBox.  I was thinking maybe going for kvm.  Anyone have any experience with it?  How about other programs?

#2 2007-08-31 12:52:27

mucknert

Re: WinXP emulation

There is an OSS-Version of VirtualBox, you know. It's in the AUR. (Or was it community?)

Todays mistakes are tomorrows catastrophes.

#3 2007-08-31 13:45:43

Allan
Pacman
Website

Yes, but the open version of VirtualBox does not allow you to share a directory between host/guest.  Only the closed version does.

#4 2007-08-31 13:46:55

mucknert

Well, you can easily work around that with SMB via Samba.

Todays mistakes are tomorrows catastrophes.

#5 2007-08-31 15:44:49

lang2

I found the cpu-usage of virtual-box very high. Anybody else share the same experience?

#6 2007-08-31 16:49:56

insane

If you only need MS Office why don't you try wine?

#7 2007-08-31 16:59:58

Noneus
Website

Yeah wine works great with MSOffice. You get mimetypes too.

For emulating XP I use VirtualBox. The binary thing because I need the USB stuff...

#8 2007-08-31 23:15:48

caved

VBox hardly uses any cpu on my machine i got an AMD x2 nothing special really. It sports: fully bridged networking, USB , Sound and is utterly easy to setup, i used to DL the version of the innotek site because i want the module to compile against my non stock kernel.

Caved

#9 2007-09-01 00:32:21

Acid7711
Website

+1 for Virtualbox, butt crossover office rocks for msoffice.

#10 2007-09-01 03:34:27

Allan
Pacman
Website

For the people suggesting wine - what version of office did you manage to get running?  I have been trying with OfficeXP to no avail.  That would be an even better solution for me in truth.

I will give VirtualBox a go and see if I can get Samba working.

#11 2007-09-01 09:14:34

azerty
Website

To emulate WinXP I used to rely on Qemu and it's (optional) Interface: QemuCTL and Qemu-Launcher.

With the kQemu-Accelerator it used to be nearly as fast as a native WinXP.

But if you're searching a way to us MS-Office, you should at least try Wine.

Why are we here? What is the sense of life?
INVITATION TO THE TRUTH

#12 2008-07-12 13:43:14

leo2501

i'm trying to get office 2000 working in wine but when i'm installing (just after selecting the packages to install) it exits with a message saying that installation can't finish due to some error, i'm looking forward to qemu with some sort of shared folder, i'm just installed office 2000 in windows 2000 but i'm looking for the shared folder part tongue

from wine app database http://appdb.winehq.org/search_results. … earch#1090

Office 97'

What works
Word, Excel

What does not
Everything except using mouse to select the components to be installed, see bug 5498 for more details.

What was not tested
Everything except Word, Excel.

Office 2000

What works
The installer, although install customizations are ignored.
Opening files

What does not
Editing/creating files in Word, Excel, or Powerpoint.
Word, Excel, and Powerpoint run, but display a dialog asking for user data. Closing this dialog a few times will also close the program, so these programs are not usable.

What was not tested
Word, Excel, Powerpoint functions. I was unable to do any editing with them.

Additional Comments
When the screen asks for user information, closing it twice will produce a message box saying that "Required registry information is missing and this application cannot run. Please rerun setup to correct the problem." The dialog asking for user information then appears again. If it is closed, the application will also close. The menus appear to work, even when the user information screen is shown, but no editing can be done. The applications are able to open files (using the open button on the toolbar).

Office XP

What works
Installs correctly

What does not
Registering product?
Every time winword starts the installer starts to finalize the installation, shows that it's installed correctly and asks for name and initials.

What was not tested
Usability of the programs, testing installer.

Office 2003

What works
Basic functions of Word, PowerPoint, and Publisher.

What does not
Did not install clip art functions (chose the Typical Install), so each app crashes when I choose to insert clip art.
Excel freezes on launch and Access crashes when trying to create a new database.

What was not tested
Further functions of Access and Excel. Did not test a complete installation.

Additional Comments
These functions were tested with a fresh install of Wine with no further modifications. Office 2003 was installed with a Typical install.

Office 2007

What works
Installer works, just requires overrides, a borrowed rpcrt4.dll, and winver=Vista
Activation works over internet or phone. (If internet fails, try again. i had to click retry once).
I've submitted results for the programs individually - see the appdb page for Microsoft Outlook, Word, etc.

What does not
Installing out-of-the-box

What was not tested
Custom install.

Additional Comments
This is the professional version. How I installed (Thanks to Zachary Stewart for the guide) : Started with a fresh wine prefix. 1) Ran winecfg, set windows version to Vista. Clicked 'autodetect' on drives tab to assign a drive (d:\) to my cdrom(/mnt/cdrom). 2) Downloaded winetricks, ran "sh winetricks msxml3 dotnet20 gdiplus riched20 riched30 vcrun2005sp1". Clicked through a great many installers. 3) rename ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32/rpcrt4.dll to rpcrt4.bak 4) download a new rpcrt4.dll from here: http://www.mediafire.com/?njtut9aswdk (was linked from another guide). Copy to that system32 folder. 5) winecfg->libraries add an override for rpcrt4.dll (i left it at native,builtin) 6) "cd /mnt/cdrom", "wine setup.exe" 7) Clicked through installer, added product key, etc. Progress bar slows down a bit about 60% done, but just wait a few minutes and it finishes. 8) Remove the downloaded rpcrt4.dll, restore the .bak. Open winecfg and remove the override. Set the windows version down to XP. 9) Start up office. Activation works through phone or internet. ("cd ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Microsoft\ Office/Office12", then "wine WINWORD.EXE").

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
-- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

#13 2008-07-12 14:01:19

Allan
Pacman
Website

I can't even remember opening this thread. That is how old this is...

Anyway, I use Office 2003 in wine when I need some compatibility not provided in OOo.  I got instructions here: http://wine-review.blogspot.com/2008/01 … -with.html

#14 2008-07-12 14:12:32

robmaloy

Allan wrote:

Yes, but the open version of VirtualBox does not allow you to share a directory between host/guest.  Only the closed version does.

?

i have virtualbox-ose installed and i can share a directory

edit: k, lol. old thread

Last edited by robmaloy (2008-07-12 14:13:08)

☃ Snowman ☃

#15 2008-07-12 14:43:42

kensai
Website

The necromancer award goes to... leo2501. Enjoy fame while it lasts.

Follow me in: Identi.ca, Twitter, Google+

Board footer