You are not logged in.

#1 2004-08-15 21:04:21

steelerguy

Fluxbox browser window resize

When I go to a site that opens an image in a new window, then resizes that window to fit the image, fluxbox is resizing the window so the title bar is outside of the workspace.  This means I can not close, move, maximize or minimize the window without first holding down the Alt key and dragging it down some.

Anyone know how to keep Fluxbox from resizing a window outside of the actual workspace?

If it matters, this behaviour is not happening in Gnome.

#2 2004-08-15 21:07:21

steelerguy

Re: Fluxbox browser window resize

Here is an example of a page that is causing the problems.  If you click on the image of the hotel, it will open in a new window and the titlebar is not visible unless you drag the window down by holding the alt key.

http://www.minotel.com/minotelPublic/ma … nt=ABEMARA

#3 2004-08-15 21:35:34

dp
Website

steelerguy wrote:

Here is an example of a page that is causing the problems.  If you click on the image of the hotel, it will open in a new window and the titlebar is not visible unless you drag the window down by holding the alt key.

this is not a fluxbox problem, but a bad webmaster :-)

i would suggest you to use a browser that can override javascript from resizing windows larger than the screen (i use konqueror and all new windows open in new tags and are not allowed to resize the master window)

EDIT: ion does not allow windows to be bigger than the screen

The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

#4 2004-08-15 22:24:38

steelerguy

dp wrote:

this is not a fluxbox problem, but a bad webmaster :-)

i would suggest you to use a browser that can override javascript from resizing windows larger than the screen (i use konqueror and all new windows open in new tags and are not allowed to resize the master window)

EDIT: ion does not allow windows to be bigger than the screen

Well this problem does not happen with Mozilla in either GNOME or KDE, but does happen with Mozilla in Fluxbox.  This would suggest to me that Fluxbox is handling the popup differently than other window managers.

I looked at the HTML and it seems to me that the webmaster is simply telling the browser to open a new window and passing along a size with no window placement information.  Mozilla is then opening up the window with the titlebar off the screen.  I would say it is Mozilla's problem except Fluxbox is the only window manager I have that is exhibiting the problem.

Here is an extremely simple page that exhibits this problem:

http://www.sitepoint.com/examples/jscri … picfit.htm

The window is first opened correctly in the top left corner.  The the Javascript resizes the window and the titlebar goes off the top.  Again, this does not happen in GNOME or KDE, so my original questions remains.  Is it possible to get Fluxbox to behave like GNOME and KDE and not run a portion of the window off the page?

#5 2004-08-16 01:17:54

dp
Website

ok, i meant, that JS is really resizing the window larger then the screen intentionally to make it look like the window is fullscreen --- my wrong interpretation

fluxbox? what version? behaves fluxbox-devel the same?

did you only tested gnome (metacity?) and kde?

The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

#6 2004-08-16 02:16:38

Matt3030

dp wrote:
steelerguy wrote:

Firefox can do this as well..

#7 2004-08-16 02:48:26

steelerguy

dp wrote:

ok, i meant, that JS is really resizing the window larger then the screen intentionally to make it look like the window is fullscreen --- my wrong interpretation

fluxbox? what version? behaves fluxbox-devel the same?

did you only tested gnome (metacity?) and kde?

The popup windows are not being resized to full screen like you said, usually much smaller, just big enough to fit the image they are displaying.

I am using Fluxbox 0.1.14.  I have not tried the devel version.  The other two window managers I have tested this on are Gnome (with Metacity) and KDE.  They both function correctly (or at least how I would like them to smile ) and do not place the titlebar above the workspace.

Board footer