You are not logged in.

#1 2008-07-13 02:10:23

RAH

Automate Pacman

Hello,

Is it possible to automate pacman?  Eg. when I boot it automatically downloads and installs updates?

Thanks.

#2 2008-07-13 02:14:13

Allan
Pacman
Website

Re: Automate Pacman

It is a bad idea but you could add it to your ~/.xinitrc file.

But you really want to see the output when you do a pacman upgrade so I highly suggest you don't do this.  Perhaps a "pacman -Syuw" which will download the files you need but not install them would be better.

#3 2008-07-13 09:16:30

Cagnulein
Website

i've an imap account on my server and i send pacman's log directly to my email every night.
Fair enough?

#4 2008-07-13 15:51:41

Factory

Allan wrote:

It is a bad idea but you could add it to your ~/.xinitrc file.

But you really want to see the output when you do a pacman upgrade so I highly suggest you don't do this.  Perhaps a "pacman -Syuw" which will download the files you need but not install them would be better.

You could also add the command to your rc.local file. Like Allan stated, though, it's usually not a good idea to ignore the output that pacman displays as sometimes it includes information about how to upgrade config files or major changes in different releases. What Cagnulein suggests is really your best bet.

#5 2008-07-13 20:06:12

SiC

If you want it to run when you startup, then do the following. Create a service and add it to the /etc/rc.conf services list.  Get the service to run as a background service, and require it to download and install all the updates that are available from the repositories.

I don't like it running that way, I have a cron job set up which downloads the updates only, once a day. I can then choose to install the updates or not. I don't like my system doing things and me not knowing precisely what has happened.

Board footer