You are not logged in.

#1 2003-06-05 15:15:12

Howloweener

A GNOME with NO text

I did a pacman sync for each of the gnome packages, but for some reason it doesn't have text...anywhere.  Any programs that are also based on GTK fail to display text also, what should I do? sad

I also have all the libs from the cd installed...

Obviously I missed something

#2 2003-06-05 15:25:26

sarah31
Website

Re: A GNOME with NO text

if you installed the gnome package one by one by their listed order likely the problem s you having lie in that the install order was incorrect i believe if you uninstall then reinstal pango you should be okay (there may be one of the other dependeds for pango that you have to remove but it does not come to mind at theis time). make sure when removing pango you use the -Rd flag so you do not have to remove all of the interlinked depends of pango (which could well be all of gnome!).

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#3 2003-06-05 17:20:23

Howloweener

still a no-go.  After pulling pango and reinstallin it I got the error:

/usr/bin/pango-querymodules: error while loading shared libraries:  libXft.so.2 :can'tfind file or directory

Do you think that could be my problem?
I'm not sure where to get that particular one from, any ideas?

#4 2003-06-05 17:27:53

sarah31
Website

well xft is supplied by xfree86 4.3 ...have you upgraded fully since installing?

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#5 2003-06-05 17:47:07

Howloweener

AHA! That may be it, I was pretty sure I upgraded that but pacman query say I've got xfree86 4.2.1-somethingorother.  I'll upgrade that and see if that works, I'll write back in a bit... big_smile

#6 2003-06-05 18:24:35

Howloweener

:?  Well after putting xfree86 4.3 on I didn't get anymor errors, but it must have broken gnome, is there anyway to yank all of the gnome packages quickly, or do I have to do each individually?

"By broken I mean a continuous x-server restart, kde is working well enough though..."

#7 2003-06-05 20:51:20

sarah31
Website

well you could try a mass removal of gnome this way:

as root run :

abs

cd /usr/abs/gnome
pacman -Rd `/bin/ls`  (note those are forward quotes!)

the "d" will, hopefully prevent any extra non gnome stuff from being removed.

your other option is installing gnome again the same way but replace the "-Rd" with "-S"

or your problems may arise from not having your system fully upgraded? try a:

pacman -Syu

before anything else.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#8 2003-06-05 23:43:12

apeiro
Daddy
Website

The --cascade option could help you out.  Just remove a package high up on the dependency tree, like gnome-common.

Note: thanks to orelien, the next version of pacman should have group designations, making this a whole lot easier.

# pacman -R --cascade gnome-common

#9 2003-06-06 02:56:45

Howloweener

well, after having stuff break from installing the xfree86 4.3 I decided to format and start from square one again...now gnome still isn't working, and shouldn't KDE have antialiased fonts? I thought it did before, but now... not so much.  Also having trouble adding users because it throws out a PAM authentification error....

Guess it's back to square one again  sad

Hmm... wonder if it's possible to format a hard-drive into non-existence?   lol

#10 2003-06-06 03:33:42

hApy
Website

yeah I'm using anti-aliased fonts right now.. check your configs and make sure you have them enabled.. then reboot & they should be working properly.

Hapy.

#11 2003-06-06 04:53:23

Howloweener

OK, well I am running into more problems as I go,  I was doing fine until I tried getting xfree86 4.3 working, and with a fresh install from the cd gnome doesn't work, I usually use KDE, but I still like using evolution and gkrellm.  I wonder if its just me thats having these problems. roll

I've been tring to get it up and running the past 4 days, (two days to get my tricky USB ethernet up)and I think I need to go for a walk. wink   I'll just wait until the 0.5 release which doesn't seem far away.  Hopefully that will work correctly straight from the cd 'hint hint.'

I hope 0.5 is as awesome as I hope it will be, right now Arch pummels gentoo (used it a week) and the funny thing about gentoo is that for all the optimizations I put on (from stage1) arch continually runs circles around it for speed, and 21 hours :shock:  to compile KDE and nearly 3 days of compiling is just not worth it.

So, in the words of Arnold
I'll Be Back 8)

#12 2003-06-06 05:47:44

hApy
Website

That seems really strange that it didn't work even after a complete wipe & reinstall... my guess would be an XF86Config file problem....

Hapy.

#13 2003-06-06 18:16:12

neri
Forum Fellow

Just 2 guesses:

First of all, what  graphic card do you have, and do you have a suitable driver
(native XFree86 supported or manufacturer made). Does

$ > xdpyinfo | grep RENDER

output "RENDER"?

secondly: when you said you dont have fonts in Gnome, I thought it would be
the pango problem. Actually, sarah told to reinstall pango and I think this should fixed it. Just to make shure, what is the content of
"/etc/X11/pango.modules" if it is empty type :

$ > pango-modulesconfig > /etc/X11/pango.modules

(hab1t posted that a while ago)

HTH,
bye neri

#14 2003-06-06 20:57:22

Howloweener

Actually I have a nvidia card, and had no problem getting it up and running, but for some reason installing striaght from the cd gnome doesn't have any text, at all.  sarah31 said thats because it need xfree86 4.3.  Well after sticking that in gnome still didn't have any text, so I yanked all of gnome and reinstalled it.  Still no text, but I no longer recieved the error running gtk apps in KDE, probably taking care of the libXft.so and libXrand.so  problem.  Maybe my xf86config file points to the wrong font directories, could somebody post their working ones? (I clobbered mine last night)

#15 2003-06-07 01:38:10

Howloweener

OK, on TRAGEDY TODAY tongue  I formatted again, installed, and downloaded the latest pacman.  So far all well and good.  Ran pacman -Syu, downloaded all the latest packages from current, which seemed to have gobs more packages than usual, 'strange'.  Checking for conflicts complained about a file in gimp, took care of that and ran it again.  Got 1/2 way throught installing the files and it started throwing out errors on every package:

sys-init: could not get current directory: getcdw: unable to find directory or files

Well with that it ate itself, so I'm off to format again... Knew I should have just went with straight-up 0.4.  Maybe the maintainers are transitioning the repositories?

#16 2003-06-07 02:05:58

apeiro
Daddy
Website

Yes, packages built with makepkg 2.5 are incompatible with Pacman 2.4 and under.  Upgrade pacman first, then upgrade the rest.

# pacman -Sy pacman
# pacman -Su

#17 2003-06-07 05:38:19

Howloweener

sure, I always upgrade pacman first, I usually have to install it twice beccause usually I get a syntax error on line six the first time everytime, why, I don't know.  Then I install the updated base packages individually before I run pacman -Syu.

But as for the sys-init errors that ate my system, sounds like a bad boot or something to me.

Yeah, I'll just wait until 0.5, so long as Arch's pending doesn't turn out like gentoos elusive 1.4 that they expected two months ago... :twisted:

But till then

-Later  8)

#18 2003-06-07 15:14:56

jlvsimoes
Website

hum pacman is not retrocompatible ????

-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Version: 3.1
GU/ d- s: a- C L U P+ L+++ E--- W+
N 0+ K- W-- !O !M V-- PS+ PE- V++ PGP T 5 Z+ R* TV+ B+
DI-- D- G-- e-- h! r++ z+ z*
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------

#19 2003-06-07 16:24:31

orelien
Forum Fellow
Website

jlvsimoes wrote:

hum pacman is not retrocompatible ????

pacman is "backward compatible": pacman N can handle packages done with makepkg N and N-1.
The opposite is not true (even if it can eventually work...): how to expect from an old pacman release to be able to cope with new features and fields added to latest packages?

Howloweener wrote:

I get a syntax error on line six

This is because older pacman releases don't understand the new "URL" field from the description file. But, this is only a warning and it is harmless wink

BTW, I've done a "base" install of Arch 0.4 and syupgraded it. Excepted from this warning, I did not see a single problem...
I will try to install gnome as soon as I find time to do it.

#20 2003-06-07 18:47:38

Howloweener

This morning I tried a fresh install again just to test it, with just the base packages and dhcpcd, nano, and xfree86 4.2 and KDE, just to see what 'could' be cuasing my problems.  I set up X and logged into KDE, everything here was fine, antialiasing and all.  After that i upgraded pacman, then upgraded the base packages, everything still ok.  Then I got xfree86 4.3,but continued using the config file from 4.2. I logged on to KDE and anialising wasn't working, so I backed up my x config and configured for 4.3, but antialiasing was still no-go.

This was just a test, so something must be either wrong in my xf86config file, or the 4.3 package.  I doubt its the package, but then where would my config be wrong?

Here, I'll post the relevant parts:

Section "Module"
     Load        "dbe"      # Double buffer extension
   SubSection  "extmod"
     Option    "omit xfree86-dga"   # don't initialise the DGA extension
   EndSubSection
    Load        "type1"
    Load        "speedo"
    Load        "freetype"
    Load       "glx"
EndSection

Section "Files"
   RgbPath    "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
    FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/local/"
    FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/"
    FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/:unscaled"
    FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/:unscaled"
    FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo/"
    FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/"
    FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType/"
    FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/freefont/"
    FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/"
    FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/"
    ModulePath "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules"
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier    "Keyboard1"
    Driver    "Keyboard"
    Option "AutoRepeat" "500 30"
    Option "XkbRules"    "xfree86"
    Option "XkbModel"    "dell101"
    Option "XkbLayout"    "us"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier    "Mouse1"
    Driver    "mouse"
    Option "Protocol"    "IMPS/2"
    Option "Device"      "/dev/psaux"
    Option "ZAxisMapping"  "4 5"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier  "monitor1"
    HorizSync   31.5-90.0
    VertRefresh 59.0-85.0
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier    "Standard VGA"
    Driver     "vga"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "NVIDIA"
    Driver      "nvidia"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier  "Screen 1"
    Device      "NVIDIA"
    Monitor     "monitor1"
    DefaultDepth 16
Subsection "Display"
        Depth       16
        Modes       "1600x1200" "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
        ViewPort    0 0
  EndSubsection
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier  "Simple Layout"
    Screen "Screen 1"
    InputDevice "Mouse1" "CorePointer"
    InputDevice "Keyboard1" "CoreKeyboard"
EndSection

#21 2003-06-08 05:18:44

sarah31
Website

maybe run fc-cache -v as root? this has something or other to do with xft which could allow anti aliasing. but then again i could be full of it because i am not a font person smile

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#22 2003-06-08 06:51:05

hApy
Website

Something I would maybe try would be doing a ftp install with the disks. That way you will install the latest versions of everything immediately. Or just install the base packages from CD, then pacman -Syu, then pacman -S <gnome> etc.. Then you are starting immediately with the latest versions of everything.

Hapy.

#23 2003-06-08 22:36:55

Howloweener

I've tried to set up the FTP install before, but the netconfig doesn't pick up my ehernet card, and I don't know how to mount my hard drive and partition to copy over the kernel, modules, and pacman so I figured installing only the base packages, syncing, then getting everything else from the net.  That was as close to an ftp install as I got, but that also didn't work, so something I 've been playing with in my head is that perhaps there was a release of xfree86 between 4.2 and 4.3 that might have some importance?

I just can't figure out why after about two weeks I'm still at square one. :?

#24 2003-06-09 22:13:16

Howloweener

YES!!  I finally got it working using the ftp install, then using the fc-cache -v as root.  Not sure why it didn't work before...  But finally CASE CLOSED!!

big_smile  tongue  yikes  smile  lol   big_smile  tongue  yikes  smile  lol

#25 2003-06-09 22:34:01

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

Good work.  It's always great to see people keep trying instead of just getting all frustrated and calling arch stupid  wink

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

Board footer