You are not logged in.

#1 2008-07-09 13:39:48

matiit
Website

Su without a password for user in wheel group

auth        sufficient    pam_wheel.so trust use_uid
That line in /etc/pam.d/su is responsible for su without passwd for users in wheel group....
And when I type su (from privilages user) i am without passwd under the root! (bravo), but when i try to write something it automatically exit to normal user.

#2 2008-07-09 16:43:01

bbs

Re: Su without a password for user in wheel group

i recommend just using sudo for these types of things smile -- i cannot help you directly other than saying working with sudoers is much more of a sane process designed to eliminate the headache of this situation

(quaqmire talking about a dude getting his tubes tied)
sex kinda looses its appeal without the potency -- its like a cobra without the venom -- i mean what do you have then....?  -- a belt?

#3 2008-07-10 05:40:08

matiit
Website

But it is more comfort for me, and that worked on other distros.

#4 2008-07-13 21:29:32

matiit
Website

Anybody?

#5 2008-07-15 22:03:28

saciel

From my times with ubuntu, where everything was done using 'sudo' and you couldn't log in as root I remember being able to get a root-shell using 'sudo su'. If you now allow you 'wheel'-users to execute su vi sudo without a password by adding

%wheel ALL=(root) NOPASSWD: /bin/su

to your /etc/sudoers and add

alias su='sudo su'

to your user ~/.bashrc it should work, though I'm not 100% sure and don't know if you are comfortable with this kind of workaround.

I don't know too much about pam to help you there. By the way, what 'other distros' are you talking about? As mentioned, ubuntu is sort of a special case regarding user privileges.

They say if you reverse play a Windows CD you can hear satanic verses... But wanna know what's even worse? If you forward play it, it's gonna install Windows on your system!

Board footer