You are not logged in.

#1 2004-08-16 22:59:01

TobyR

Mouse and KVM

Having previously posted asking about setting up a misbehaving wheel-mouse, it now looks like the problem was not with the mouse itself but with the fact that it is passing through a KVM unit (a Belkin 2-port module - very standard).  Has anyone else got experience of using KVMs with Linux?  By way of comparison my WinXP box is quite happy with the KVM set-up.

---------------------------
Arch Linux 0.6
Pentium II 266MHz
160MB SDRAM

#2 2004-08-16 23:07:53

scottro
Website

Re: Mouse and KVM

I've had trouble with all O/S's and KVMs.  In general, I can usually fix it by switching back and forth a few times, or at least, in *nix systems, stopping X and restarting it.

On occasion, however, I have had to reboot while the KVM is focused on
the particular box--this goes for Windows XP and 2000 as well as Linux and FreeBSD.

So, my experience is a bit different than yours, I've had trouble with MS and KVM's as well

#3 2004-08-17 01:09:01

colnago

I have an iogear gcs14 and I notice that sometimes a key will just repeat endlessly, esp after pressing control.  I thought it was the kb at first.  Pressing another key will stop it, but it is very annoying.

The monitor is very rarely detected on install of an os, but it is sometimes.  SuSE 9.1 did it (Arch did too, but that is because xorg is a manual install, that counts does't it?).   

In linux there are very few problems, but once in a while i need to switch focus between computers and back  becuse the mouse or kb will be dead when I focus one computer.  Power management sometimes does not work (a monitor will not wake up after switching to it), but this always fixed by focusing away and then back again.  I think it may just be my monitor thinks it is off and the computer thinks the monitor is on and doesn't bother telling it to run.  I have never had to restart x, it is always a problem somewhere in the kvm with linux.

On MS windows/internet explorer, the wheel will act as a back/forward button at the top or bottom of a column, rather than scrolling, if the computer is booted with focus on the MS computer (ie for proper function I have to boot with the MS computer deselected).  This would be a problem if I had 4 MS installs rather than just 1.  Also, when installing XP focus must be on the MS computer when it gets around to installing devices (when the screen flashes and you think it has died for a second)  or else the screen just goes black and hangs.

The mouse rate maxes out at 73Hz on any OS.  No problem with display refresh rate at 1280x1024.

I had a problem trying to pass a 'compaq' branded wireless mouse through the kvm.  Nothing would work on it.

I also have one of those 2-way kvms at work.  I am not sure of the brand, but it is one of those ones with the wires attached.  I never had any problems with it on many many linux installs.  Once I thought I would have a pepsi-syndrome problem when the plant above my desk leaked directly onto the kvm.  Luckily they must have watered the plant with coke, as it worked after I blew it out with compressed air.

#4 2004-08-17 19:49:55

TobyR

Looks like I'm the unlucky one.  The problem is only seen on Linux, switching back and forth between monitors does not fix it, nor does stopping and starting X-server.  In fact, the only time the Linux screen behaves itself is when the XP box is off, or is on but has not received focus yet.  Oh well, I guess I'll just have to use 2 mice for now ...

---------------------------
Arch Linux 0.6
Pentium II 266MHz
160MB SDRAM

Board footer