You are not logged in.

#126 2008-07-08 10:35:57

xsytry

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

Hi,
My name is Bartek, I live in Poznan, Poland.  I've been using archlinux for some time now, but I've never felt the need to register on the forums. Well, that chancged now. smile
I like archlinux for it's flexibility and speed. I started my linux experience with slackware. It stayed on my desktop for some time, but i got too lazy - regular fights with package dependencies made me try something else.  I tried to work with ubuntu, but it was too clumsy and bloated for me, then there was Debian unstable, but it didn't suit me. Finally, i found archlinux, and for time being it is as good as they come. smile
So, hello to everybody. smile

Do, or do not. There is no try. [Yoda]

#127 2008-07-10 15:20:39

nh

Hello everyone!  My name is Nick, and I live just outside London.

I recently bought a laptop with Ubuntu 7.10 preinstalled.  Since then I've installed Ubuntu 8.04.1 and openSUSE 11.0 on my old desktop, where they are happily coexisting with Windows XP!  I have a third slot available, where I plan to install Arch Linux this weekend.

I like what I read about Arch: that it allows you to choose exactly what you want to install, making the process as transparent as possible, and that it's optimised for the i686.  It will probably take me several attempts to install it correctly, but I think it will be a great learning process!

#128 2008-07-10 21:06:38

JediTom
Website

Hi all.

I've been using linux for a few years now.  Started off doing stage 1 installs of Gentoo on ancient hardware, not much fun but was a great sink/swim experience.  However, I got fed up not being able to use the computer for a few days every update when it was compiling everything and jumped on the Ubuntu bandwagon.

Stayed there for a few years and then decided that on my new no-preinstalled-OS laptop I'd go for a new distro.  Looked at the tiny ones for a while but then settled onto Arch a few weeks ago.  I'm liking the fact that it's very customisable and the only things on the machine are the things I've put there - although having said that the gnome keyring manager has poped up from somewhere, but that's probably because my home directory is shared with a ubuntu install...

Where was I?  Oh yes, I like the customisation aspects but also the easy-use package manager makes things pretty simply.  Only a few more tweaks to make then I can dd this entire partion as a backup for my fully working system.  Wonderful!

Thanks go to all the developers and maintainers that allow folk like me to use software like this.

#129 2008-07-12 16:19:37

Eivuwan

Hi everyone,
     I jumped right from windows xp to arch linux and I must say that it wasn't a difficult learning experience. I wasn't in the mood for distro hopping so I just did research to find a distro that matches my needs for a minimal, fast, and simple distro. From what I read, arch fit my needs and after installing it and getting everything set up to the way I want it, it certaintly is the perfect distro for me. Arch isn't difficult for noobs as long as the noob can follow directions. The beginners install guide is awesome.

#130 2008-07-14 05:39:51

mentallaxative
Website

Hello all,

After a bout of distro hopping I settled on Arch Linux a couple a days ago. I already have Ubuntu on my desktop, and I took over a three year old laptop which my parents would not use because XP was too slow. I went through Puppy, Slax, Mandriva and Ubuntu before finding out about Arch. It is a wonderful distribution. It will probably stay on this laptop for the duration of its operation.

Installing and setting it up is quite a large task, but it is also very satisfying to have a system tweaked exactly the way I like it. I hope to contribute, in some small and minute way, back to the community when I've had enough time to understand and try out the AUR and ABS. I thank all the tireless Archers for the fine distro.

Bye~

#131 2008-07-14 13:18:50

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

Welcome, welcome, welcome!

#132 2008-07-14 13:41:25

_AA_
Website

Greetings... I'm new to Arch, obviously, and have so far only been running it for just over 24 hours and already I'm considering migrating my servers to to Arch. First installed Linux in about 2000 starting off with what was then still Mandrake, then moved to Gentoo which was my flavour of choice up untill about a year ago. Since then I've been jumping between distros like crazy trying to find something similar to gentoo but without the compile time. Arch seems to be what I've been looking for to be honest.

#133 2008-07-14 14:31:12

InsektO
Website

Hi, I'm a Linux user from a year now, my actual distro is Ubuntu. After a day of struggle i finally got Arch up and running in VBox, and its quite a satisfaction i must say. Basically Arch caught my attention after reading the principles in The Arch Way and for having the latest version of the software. So, i think i've found the next distro for my box smile

I'm from Buenos Aires, Argentina.

#134 2008-07-16 08:21:17

Intrepid

After using Mandrake 10.1 for a few months in 2005, I was sick of the inability to customize simple things like Xsessions and broken functionality (USB drives would not automount etc).  I read about Arch on Mandrake's forums and was convinced!

Two years later I still haven't switched distros!  Arch allows me to set things how I want them and not mess with them for a long while.  Well, I finally decided to join the forums so hello everybody!

Intrepid (adj.): Resolutely courageous; fearless.

#135 2008-07-16 20:37:38

mojoman

Hi,

Just installed Arch Linux on an old laptop I've got just to try it out. I usually use Debian and still keep it on my main machine. So far Arch seem pretty straight-forward but those are usually famous last words so I'll probably be posting some more when the wiki, www.google.com/linux and older forum posts can't get me out of the mess I'll probably get myself into eventually. Still, getting the wireless and X up and running went surprisingly smooth. I'll be adding some apps and configuring the environment in the days to come, which is the really fun part in testing something new!

Cheers
/mojoman

Put your ad here! Only €10/month!

#136 2008-07-17 15:45:57

Andy Mack

After 7 attempts I have arch installed properly! and it's f&*%ing amazing.

Once I figured out the silly mistakes I made it was suprisingly a painless process.

Excellent job on the whole thing and also the Beginners wiki, it really is invaluable.

Andy

#137 2008-07-18 00:14:39

ThomasBisset
Website

Hello all.

Had Arch running for a few weeks now and love it! I've used pretty well every other big distro out there, but it has mainly been Fedora (I first started using GNU/Linux using Core 2!) and the *buntu's. I only signed up because I had some silly problem with my time applet in Gnome but since resolving that just before posting I have my Laptop running pretty well exactly as I want it.

I'm going to be attempting to set up a NAS soon, which will be the first time I'll have had a need to setup and use Samba - y'know, just preparing you all for a mass of questions heading your way... wink

Oh, and I second Andy on the beginnners wiki entry - if I hadn't of printed it I don't think I'd have had my laptop running as quickly. Great job!

#138 2008-07-18 13:10:08

DMSynck

Hello to all in the "Arch" community.

Just a short note to say that after distro-hopping for a long time. I decided to try "Arch" and I am very impressed. I really like the idea that you make the system yourself from a basic core, so what you end up with is a system that is totally your own. Also pacman is great. I fumbled around with lots of RPM based distros, but got very frustrated with "dependency hell". Once I found Debian style package management, I was hooked. I also converted several of my friends to dependency resolving style package management and they swear they will never go back to RPM. Anyway, good job to everyone who makes "Arch" possible and thanks again.

If you give someone a program, you will frustrate them for a day.  If you teach someone to program, you will frustrate them for a lifetime.

#139 2008-07-18 17:13:12

anxious

Hi everyone,

New Archer here.  Gonna install tonight after work.  My real name is Mike and I live in Texas.  I have been a developer for the last 26 years.  First got into Linux in 1998 ( I think ) with Mandrake 7.  Been running Debian last couple of years.  My hardware is pretty decent - Compaq SA400T, 3.2 ghz clock speed, 2mb ram, 9 in 1 card reader, plenty of storage space, USB external drive, HP Officejet all in 1 printer, 22" LCD monitor.  I am hoping to make my system /rock/ with Archlinux.  That's all for now, I guess.

Mike

#140 2008-07-19 23:57:14

SUB

Hey everyone,

Been using Arch for about 3 days now and am absolutely loving it! I've been using Ubuntu full time for about the last 18 months (plus experimented with Ubuntu and others on and off for over 2 years) and I was never fully satisfied although for some crazy reason I never looked at Arch (maybe I thought I couldn't handle starting from scratch) and so mainly used it because I really liked Ubuntu and Linux and couldn't find anything better. A lot of Arch users over at Ubuntu Forums rave about how good Arch is and it's always something I thought that I might try one day and now I've switched I can't believe what I was missing all this time. Everything was much easier to set up than I thought it would be, I love how the whole system is customised to my liking and I love how fast it is. The Wiki was a real help, I couldn't have done it without it. I love the real community feel here and right now I really can't think of anything I dislike about it, it's exactly what I've been looking for all this time. I've experimented with lots of distros and this is the one I like the best by a long shot.

#141 2008-07-21 13:09:08

katyl

Hey,

Found a random review lying around the web. Plowed through the Wiki at work yesterday, went home and had to install it in a virtual machine. I must say that arch is the most impressive distro that I've run across. The plan tonight is to go home and (Finally) replace ubuntu on my desktop. Can't  wait but sure I'll have a question or two.

#142 2008-07-22 00:06:54

sesh
Website

Hi all,

First post here - I've just moved from a very mixed Linux background (Ubuntu lately) to a Arch+Fluxbox install. Still in the last bits of flux configuration before I will hopefully have one of the most stable linux installs I've had in a long while.

Arch is very impressive, congratulations for creating a brilliant system and great installation/usage documentation.

#143 2008-07-22 14:43:09

funktion
Website

hey everyone, i started on debian, went to ubuntu, then switched to arch after a co-worker suggestion. i've been using arch for the last 3 years and figured i should properly introduce myself on the forums since i've been a lurker for the last 3 years.

i've been inspired lately to start helping out and giving back to the arch community, so as long as i don't get lazy (LOL) i hope to start getting involved in the next few weeks.

-funk

the funk soul brother.

#144 2008-07-22 23:13:11

moon

hi archers wink

well, I'm a spanish girl living in Netherlands. my first contact with gnu/linux was Red Hat, about six years ago.
Later I tried Debian, Gentoo (and other no-related-Linux-stuff as *BSD and The Hurd)... and I switched to Arch last January. I really love Arch, so I think I'll stay here for a long long time...
smile

#145 2008-07-24 08:14:55

sultanoswing

Kia ora from NZ, fellow Arch users.

I've arrived at Arch after using Gentoo (first up!), Fedora Core 5 and 6 and more recently Ubuntu (it's still on my laptop). Gave Arch a try after reading reviews and user experiences about its simplicity, light footprint (relatively given I've installed GNOME) and the rolling nature of it's release.

So far so very good - MUCH less hassle using a package distro than flag-setting and compiling everything from source (Gentoo), and Arch has a nice under-the-hood simplicity which seems to me to allow good control without the niggle of missing a flag. 'It Just Works and Is Scalable'.

Only (somewhat annoying) problem is thay my Geforce 7600GT AGP card (on Nforce3 K8NS) refuses to run using the 'nvidia' AGP and is demanding "NvAgp" "0" be set in xorg.conf, meaing it displays as 'PCI' in the settings screen. I haven't had this problem with any other distros and suspect from reading these forums and elsewhere it must be something unique to the Arch kernel and my card / motherboard. The issue is that 3-D is not as spritely as it ought to be - slightly laggy compiz and I haven't tried to run Doom 3 yet!

Arch looks like a keeper!

[EDIT] Excellent! I got AGP 8X working at last! The solution (in my case) was to access the advanced BIOS Menu (Ctrl+F1) and change AGP aperture to 128MB (from the default 32). The difficulty was working out how to access that advanced setting - it's not obvious even when you press Ctrl+F1. I'm now a happy Arch user - although I'll go back to 32-bit until they (Adobe) get all the kinks ironed out of Flash et al.

Last edited by sultanoswing (2008-07-25 07:17:57)

6.5.3.arch1-1(x86_64) w/Gnome 44.4
Arch on: ASUS Pro-PRIME x470, AMD 5800X3D, AMD 6800XT, 32GB, | Intel NUC 7i5RYK | ASUS ux303ua | Surface Laptop

#146 2008-07-25 02:12:58

celticmusicguy

I heard about Arch on a podcast recently (Sourecast - http://www.sourcecast.org) and what I heard there intrigued me. So I decided to play around a bit with an Arch install in Virtualbox on my desktop. I liked what I saw there so a couple of days ago I decided to take the plunge and install Arch on my laptop, and I'm glad I did. It's been a very pleasant experience so far. The installation went relatively smoothly thanks to the great documentation on the Wiki - the only problems I had were due to my own ignorance and they were easily solved.

I like the idea of a rolling release and I also like the "build it yourself" philosophy of Arch - your system is what you want it to be. Starting off with a very basic system and building it up from there is an idea that would have scared me silly when I first started with Linux but now I've embraced that approach. I've had about 5 years of experience with Linux - I started with an obscure Slackware-derived distro that I can't even remember the name of anymore and have also used Slackware, Mandrake, Red Hat, Fedora, and Debian in that time. I still have Debian on my desktop and probably will keep it that way (I don't have the heart to blow that installation up since it's served me well for at least 2 years now), but my laptop will definitely be running Arch from now on.

Solutions nearly always come from the direction you least expect, which means there's no point trying to look in that direction because it won't be coming from there.
-Douglas Adams

#147 2008-07-25 12:04:45

bb-fez

Hi guys

I've been using arch for a week now, and it's awesome.
I used Fedora Core (as it was) for about a year, a few years ago, but gave up when I went to boarding school. :-( - no internet.
But I came back and used Ubuntu for a while, but switched to Arch because ubuntu is too bloated; and when I  tried to remove some of the packages, it just became unstable and crashed lots (don't know why). But Arch really lets you install whatever you want, and I can use my favorite program for everything (what is the point in having 2 or 3 ways to install a package - packman rocks :-)). It's also great for really learning 'linux', not just GNOME or KDE or Ubuntu.
I had a bit of trouble finding the specs of my laptop online, but that's no fault of Arch. Now that I have, I think I will be using it for quite a while.

Last edited by bb-fez (2008-07-25 12:05:15)

#148 2008-07-26 11:51:33

p2501

Hello everyone!  I used mainly gentoo in the past, but haven't for about 2 years by now. Now I had this old iBook around and I though since gentoo seems to have gone down the drain, let's try Arch, I've heard so much good about it. So here I am, willing to learn the arch way. smile

#149 2008-07-26 18:11:25

linuxoser
Website

I've been using linux for a while, including the redhat, turbo linux, blue point, suse, ubuntu, and arch. I started with redhat and then I found ubuntu is really good for my computer, but finally I fell in love with arch, I like the arch way.

Linux is for people who want to know why it works.
Mac is for people who don't want to know why it works.
DOS is for people who want to know why it does not work.
Windows is for people who don't want to know why it does not work.

#150 2008-07-27 12:52:59

imag1narynumber

I suppose I should at least announce my presence.  I successfully installed Arch yesterday after wiping off that other second-rate OS.  Thus far I'd have to say I'm extremely pleased.  I like how it's very customizable and very fast.  I've run a few other distros and none have really pleased me, they all have major shortcomings, IMO.  I would've tried Gentoo, but I'm not willing to let OpenOffice.org compile for 36+ hours.  Plus in the past 24 hours I've learned more about my system than the entire time I've used Linux (admittantly not that long), which is a main goal.  I'd like to thank everyone responsible for this distro; the people responsible for the drivers, cups systems, and so on; the very friendly folks on the forums; and lastly for the installation walk-throughs.  I switched between two or three and installation was very reasonable, even for someone who never used nano or vi, and certainly never had to tweak a conf file.  Very happy.

Anyhow, I'm a graphic artist in the 'States (Connecticut, to be exact) and I intend on using this distro for my tiny business that I started about a year ago.

I guess that's about it really ~

Board footer