You are not logged in.

#1 2008-07-15 00:17:15

ravster
Website

Texlive: where to install files (bst, sty, cls)?

Hello,
  I would like to install some document class files for tex. I have currently installed texlive from the AUR.
  For example, if I wanted to install the 'harvard' package from http://tug.ctan.org/tex-archive/macros/ … b/harvard/ , the INSTALL file says that I need to edit the "'bstdir', 'stydir', 'htmldir' and 'docdir' to values appropriate to your LaTeX installation".

I am not sure which directories are 'appropriate' for my installation. Could someone point these directories out for me? I realize that a package that is as widely used as the 'harvard' would be found somewhere in the files that firmicus has so graciously published on the AUR. However, I would still like to know which directories to use.
Thank you.

#2 2008-07-15 14:36:12

bender02

Re: Texlive: where to install files (bst, sty, cls)?

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/TeX … tant_files

So choose one tree, and place the files under it. To understand the structure of a texmf tree, have a look at e.g. /opt/texlive/texmf-dist.

EDIT: so, a good directories are for instance these: bstdir: $texmftree/bibtex/bst/harvard, stydir: $texmftree/tex/latex/harvard, ... (maybe without 'harvard', I don't know how the harvard's install script works).

Last edited by bender02 (2008-07-15 14:40:25)

#3 2008-07-15 19:49:51

ravster
Website

Thank you for your answer bender02.

So if I want to install any new stuff, it should be in texmf-dist? Not -local or -var?

#4 2008-07-15 22:36:45

bender02

Definitely not texmf-dist. Sorry if my previous post was confusing. I recommended to *look* at texmf-dist, since that's where most of texlive stuff is installed, hence most of the directories that are ever used are there. So you can get an idea how the tree is structured.

As for your own stuff, texmf-local is the tree to use if you want to make the packages available for all users and have admin privileges; ~/texmf is the tree to use when you want to add packages just for yourself (or you don't have admin privileges). All those trees have the same structure; you can think of them as 'overlays':
for instance, if a tex binary looks for a file, say harvard,sty, it first looks in ~/texmf/tex/latex/* (all subdirs as well), then /opt/texlive/texmf-local/tex/latex/*, and finally in /opt/texlive/texmf-dist/tex/latex/*.

[Note: texmf-var is intended for automatically generated files - like formats, pk fonts and such.]

#5 2008-07-16 13:48:17

ravster
Website

Oh, I see.

I understand it now.
Thank you for the explanation big_smile,
Ravi

Board footer