You are not logged in.

#1 2008-07-15 23:45:56

JawsThemeSwimming428

Trouble getting X working in Vbox

I am trying to configure X to work in VirtualBox. Everything else has gone fine but I can't get X to work. I wasn't sure what driver to use so I used the xf86-video-vesa driver because I think I remember doing that once before. But when I run Xorg -configure Virtualbox just goes to a blank black screen and nothing ever happens. Any ideas what to check? I am not too familiar with editing xorg.conf by hand.

#2 2008-07-16 03:57:58

JawsThemeSwimming428

Re: Trouble getting X working in Vbox

I did a little more research and found this post which described a similar problem: http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=393083

I understand most of it but I am running into an issue trying to install guest additions because I don't think I have the build packages installed. I just don't know what they are  and how do I install them?

#3 2008-07-16 08:33:31

InsektO
Website

I did the install a few days ago and the same happened to me...

I asume you must be following the Beginners Guide from the wiki: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginners_Guide. I could not succesfully generate xorg.conf using Xorg -configure, i had to install hwd and generated xorg.conf that way (its in the guide). But i was still getting a blank screen. But, as the guide says, you have to generate (copy) the .xinitrc file to your normal user home folder (ando modify it), and then start x with startx or xinit. That solved it... at least for me.

Hope that helps.

#4 2008-07-16 12:42:52

JawsThemeSwimming428

InsektO wrote:

I did the install a few days ago and the same happened to me...

I asume you must be following the Beginners Guide from the wiki: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginners_Guide. I could not succesfully generate xorg.conf using Xorg -configure, i had to install hwd and generated xorg.conf that way (its in the guide). But i was still getting a blank screen. But, as the guide says, you have to generate (copy) the .xinitrc file to your normal user home folder (ando modify it), and then start x with startx or xinit. That solved it... at least for me.

Hope that helps.

Yea, I am following the Beginners Guide (very well written). Xorg -configure doesn't work for me either (obviously). I did not try hwd yet but I guess that is my next step and then move the .xinitrc file to my home folder. I will try to do this tonight when I get home from work but if not, I won't post back for a week or two because I am going away. Thanks for the reply, glad it wasn't just me!

#5 2008-07-16 18:47:28

JawsThemeSwimming428

Still nothing. I ran hwd -xa and it didn't give any errors. I added exec xterm to .xinitrc and moved it to my home directory. Then I tried startx and it gave me a blank screen and I tried xinit and it gave me a blank screen. What next?

Board footer