You are not logged in.

#1 2008-07-20 12:07:47

Pinqvin

[SOLVED] MPlayer sound too low

So, yeah. When I set my MPlayer (using KMPlayer as my front-end of choice) to maximum volume, it's not going as high as I'd like it to be. Which is a bit weird, since with alsamixer set to around 85 (PCM, Master and Front), the output is really great on Amarok, and amarok isn't even set to the maximum output!

Also, another thing I highly dislike about MPlayer is that it changes the volume values of my alsamixer directly. As a headphone only user, this is a big no no for me, and I'd like to find a way for it to stop doing that. Since it's quite annoying to have your video files hearable, but everything else awfully loud.

Basically my problem boils down to these two questions: 1) How do I make mplayer louder without breaking my ears while using other programs and 2) How to stop MPlayer playing around with my alsamixer levels. Guess those two are a bit linked together. Fixing the alsamixer levels after watching a video OR to properly hear a video is rather tiresome after a while.

I guess it's worth mentioning that I'm running on Arch 64bit with the newest available MPlayer and related software. Also have a 32bit chroot up and running for flash and stuff.

EDIT: Oh right, yeah. Sound card is a built-in snd-hda-intel. No special settings used with it, since I don't remember those changing anything last time I tried.

Last edited by Pinqvin (2008-07-20 14:27:08)

#2 2008-07-20 12:29:26

lucke

Re: [SOLVED] MPlayer sound too low

To stop it from messing with your system-wide volume set "softvol = "yes"" in .mplayer/config.

#3 2008-07-20 12:52:30

Pinqvin

Nice! Thank you a lot! Now, if I can just find a way to boost the volume a bit without changing system wide settings I'd be all set with my current setup.

Thanks again for that small fix.

#4 2008-07-20 13:56:18

dyscoria

Try putting this in the config file too:

softvol-max=200

Try bigger numbers if that isn't loud enough. 200 means that the sound level can go to twice the original level in the file.

flack 2.0.6: menu-driven BASH script to easily tag FLAC files (AUR)
knock-once 1.2: BASH script to easily create/send one-time sequences for knockd (forum/AUR)

#5 2008-07-20 14:26:32

Pinqvin

Oh yes! Thanks a lot for that. 200 seemed a bit too low for the video I tried, but 300 worked wonders. I figured that the sound was a bit low even on the original file. 200 worked nicely for the other files I tried, though.

Again, thanks a lot at helping me solve this small problem smile

Board footer