You are not logged in.

#1 2008-07-20 18:00:36

Cronanius

Creating a custom .img file?,

Hey guys,
I was wondering if there was a wiki entry on creating custom .img files for usb sticks. I'm trying to install arch on a EEE 900 PC (Asus), and I'm having monsterous problems; I think having all the correct packages would help a lot, rather than me trying to d/l them.
Also, when installing from USB, pacman can't d/l and install anything during the install process. First, wtf? Second, when I try to install a new version of pacman, it seems to think that the FS is read-only, which is deceitful.
Anybody have any ideas?

Last edited by Cronanius (2008-07-20 18:03:51)

Perpetually an Arch Newbie. I'm here for the operating system, not the philosophy.

#2 2008-07-20 19:34:29

lilsirecho
Veteran

Re: Creating a custom .img file?,

I have a suggestion that does create an .img file which can be setup to your desired set of archlinux packages which should load into USB flash and run in eeepc.

Firstly, it isn't an easy process to start from scratch...my suggestion involves using the efforts of others to simplify your creation.

Faunos has a USB .img download which, after installing can be reduced in size to your liking (custom) and re-installed through the Faunos installer to a custom USB flash on another USB flash device.

The downloaded Faunos USB image is 1GB, includes 600 pacman packages, a pacman GUI, KDE DE, and is pacman upgradable. the USB .img is installed to flash with the ...dd program... the entire system runs in ram.

This approach is the easiest way to get a USB flash archlinux-based custom .img without ever starting from scratch.

I know of no other way to easily perform a custom archlinux USB install.

PS: Programs exist to create an .img from the USB flash install device,  if that is your goal.

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#3 2008-07-20 20:50:43

Cronanius

Re: Creating a custom .img file?,

That's probably a decent call; and I'll look into it if my latest experiments prove fruitless tongue. Ty.

Perpetually an Arch Newbie. I'm here for the operating system, not the philosophy.

Board footer