You are not logged in.

#1 2004-08-17 23:24:36

gs

Custom Local Repository Blip

Having followed the HOWTO I have qualified success. Four of my nine packages, however, produce the following error message when checking them out with Pacman -S packagename.

'error: failed to retrieve some files from My_Repository'

All nine pacakages are already installed and in the five other cases I get the usual message telling me the package is already up to date.

I have checked the

tar -tzf /var/cache/pacman/My_Repository.db.tar.gz

output and all packages are consistently listed. My directory names in /var/abs/local match my $pkgnames. I have run pacman -Syu a couple of times. There is plenty of spare space on the partitions.

It would seem that there is something rudimentary I have not done.

Any suggestions as to what I could check out, please?

What the beep was that?

#2 2004-08-17 23:47:10

dp
Website

Re: Custom Local Repository Blip

check pacman.conf or /etc/pacman.d/yourfile

for

[My_Repository]
Server = file:///home/custompkgs

i once forgot to use "file:///" but tried "ftp://" what didn't work obviously :-)

The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

#3 2004-08-18 00:34:51

gs

I had the entries at the end of pacman.conf in the old-fashioned way. So, I have now created and referenced-in a pacman.d file. Same result, nevertheless!

[gs2@gs-222 ~]$ sudo pacman -S tkman       

Targets: rman-3.2-1 tkman-2.2-1

Proceed with upgrade? [Y/n] y

:: Retrieving packages from My_Repository...
failed copying /var/cache/pacman/rman-3.2-1.pkg.tar.gz

failed copying /var/cache/pacman/tkman-2.2-1.pkg.tar.gz

error: failed to retrieve some files from My_Repository

[gs2@gs-222 ~]$

I think the problem must be more to do with a fragility in the pkg builds... you see they are all home-made. They have all got checksums.

But I am patching makefiles with home-made patches in quite a few of them (some of which do not present any later difficulty). But if I have violated md5sums, then presumably this could make the .db file partially unreadable... do you think?

Xentac explained some of this to me, earlier, and the issues of keeping the /src and /pkg directories un-interfered with are now starting to come to me more clearly.

What the beep was that?

#4 2004-08-18 00:55:19

gs

I have some more diagnostics.

building database entries, generating md5sums...
gensync: error generating checksum for /var/abs/local/WordNet/PKGBUILD

It's in my pkgbuilds somewhere, and I should now be able to isolate the problem. I am going to sleep on it... if the thunder and lightning going on here will let me.

What the beep was that?

#5 2004-08-18 03:51:30

dp
Website

gs wrote:

I have some more diagnostics.

building database entries, generating md5sums...
gensync: error generating checksum for /var/abs/local/WordNet/PKGBUILD

It's in my pkgbuilds somewhere, and I should now be able to isolate the problem. I am going to sleep on it... if the thunder and lightning going on here will let me.

you are missing pkg WordNet in the repo location (the pkg.tar.gz file) ... or something else is bad

... and by the way (not related to this problem): pkg-names should be always lowcase (wordnet instead of WordNet)

#6 2004-08-18 08:52:08

gs

You were right. I had badly formed the .db with the gensync command -- the .db was sitting in the directory beneath the My_Repository and I was acessing it in pacman.conf from that wrong position, also. Hence the system was looking in the wrong files for binaries.

The difficulty with the pkgname is that to change to lowercase would mean not being able to use $pkgname in the source location definition or in the /usr/sub-directory. Should I make that sort of change?

I guess this must be so, because I cannot see any example of upper case letters appearing in pkg names. Either that, or I have hit unusual cases with WordNet-2.0 and FaxMail-2.3.

What the beep was that?

#7 2004-08-18 09:29:20

dp
Website

gs wrote:

You were right. I had badly formed the .db with the gensync command -- the .db was sitting in the directory beneath the My_Repository and I was acessing it in pacman.conf from that wrong position, also. Hence the system was looking in the wrong files for binaries.

The difficulty with the pkgname is that to change to lowercase would mean not being able to use $pkgname in the source location definition or in the /usr/sub-directory. Should I make that sort of change?

I guess this must be so, because I cannot see any example of upper case letters appearing in pkg names. Either that, or I have hit unusual cases with WordNet-2.0 and FaxMail-2.3.

you can use alternative variable:

$pkgname=wordnet
$origname=WordNet

and then use $origname in the PKGBUILD for reference

(same with $pkgver and $origver if needed)

#8 2004-08-18 10:51:35

gs

I have started making the changes, and I notice that I have

1) /pkg/usr/bin/FaxMail

and

2) /pkg/usr/local/WordNet-2.0

In the second case, kthesaurus (which this is configured for) requires it to be available at the non-archlinux directory /usr/local and requires that name.

Maybe, it's ok as it is with just an install note provided. Or, is it?

Obviously, alternatives are possible -- including a symlink.

What the beep was that?

Board footer