You are not logged in.

#1 2008-07-03 23:06:59

Cippa Lippa

problems with fans on Dell Latitude

Hi all

I am having a bit of a problem with my Dell Latitude in terms of temperature. It is having some problems in working correctly the fans. This leads the laptop to have sometimes very high temperatures. Sometimes above 70 degrees celsius

I have installed the i8k module which made the situation a little better, but I have the feeling that it is operating on only one fan

I installed gkrellm with the i8k plugin and it shows one fan, the left one, to be basically dead. Is it something that can be fixed somehow?

Cippa

Last edited by Cippa Lippa (2008-07-03 23:07:11)

#2 2008-07-04 00:11:15

brebs

Re: problems with fans on Dell Latitude

It may well only have one fan, like my Dell Inspiron 5160. Google for a description of its internals.

Buy a can of compressed air for cleaning computers, and open up the laptop (e.g. remove the battery) and blast the can inside. Probably a surprising amount of fan-clogging dust will come out, so only spray the can whilst outdoors.

#3 2008-07-21 16:10:57

Cippa Lippa

Re: problems with fans on Dell Latitude

still I can't keep the temperature of my laptop for hitting 70 degrees at maximum load.

I don't know if this is safe...

The only way I have found is to use gkrellm with i8k plugin (even though I am on kde), but somehow when the fan hits the maximum speed it doesn't stay constant but goes on-off-on-off. This is not related with hysteresis. Also gkrellm thinks I have two fans when obviously it seems I have only one as I can operate only one

Cippa

Board footer