You are not logged in.

#1 2008-07-21 00:00:05

dhave
Arch Linux f@h Team Member

[SOLVED] How can I edit the KDE4.1rc1(+) menu?

This is really a general KDE4 question, but I haven't been able to find an anwer, so I'll ask it here.

I'm running KDE4.1rc1+ from tanis's very nice packages.

I don't see a built-in way to edit the menu on the main app launcher (the one under the "K"). Someone suggested running kmenuedit from the command line, which at first seems to work. However, the apps that I add via kmenuedit do not show up in the categories to which I assign them. For example, I wanted Amarok to go under "Sound & Video", and that's where I put it when I added it using kmenuedit. But then it shows up not under "Sound & Video", but rather under the catch-all category "Other".

Can anybody enlighten me here? I've seen this mentioned by others out on the Web, but I haven't found a single solution that works for me. Thanks.

Last edited by dhave (2008-07-22 10:24:43)

Donate to Arch!

Tired? There's a nap for that. --anonymous

#2 2008-07-22 08:49:41

ashunter

Re: [SOLVED] How can I edit the KDE4.1rc1(+) menu?

Try to edit the desktop file for that application.Take amarok for example,you can find a "amarok.desktop" file at /path to your kde4/share/applications,open it with kwrite and make sure there is a line called"Categories".Since you want amarok go under "Sound & Video",so it should like this "Categories=Qt;KDE;AudioVideo;Audio;Player;"

#3 2008-07-22 10:24:25

dhave
Arch Linux f@h Team Member

Re: [SOLVED] How can I edit the KDE4.1rc1(+) menu?

ashunter wrote:

Try to edit the desktop file for that application.Take amarok for example,you can find a "amarok.desktop" file at /path to your kde4/share/applications,open it with kwrite and make sure there is a line called"Categories".Since you want amarok go under "Sound & Video",so it should like this "Categories=Qt;KDE;AudioVideo;Audio;Player;"

Thank you, ashunter. This worked. The file locations were a bit different (a number of my apps' .desktop files were in ~/.local/share/applications), but the procedure was just as you described. Thanks very much.

Donate to Arch!

Tired? There's a nap for that. --anonymous

Board footer