You are not logged in.

#1 2004-08-18 14:01:09

onami

Reiserfs vs ext3

What are you guys using ?

I use ext3
I once used reiserfs , and one night the electricity halted. Ok, i turned on my computer again, and another power down.
Of course i restarted my computer (I'm a computer junky) and what do you know ?
everything that was on the reiserfs partition was gone, nothing there !!!

Forever newbie !!!

#2 2004-08-18 14:28:50

robot5x

Re: Reiserfs vs ext3

hmm... that's strange. I thought the whole point of a journalled filesystem was so that data could be more easily retrieved.
My system survived three consecutive power cuts and worked fine.
it's reiser for me.

#3 2004-08-18 16:12:55

hypermegachi

you'd be surprised how often journaling systems fail.  reiserfs have rendered my system unbootable about 3 or 4 times.  i've given up on it.  recently i've tried XFS, but after wine freezes my computer and restarts i've lost some config files....actually rc.conf was corrupted somehow.  anywho i could still boot.  so...next time i'll try JFS.

i hear ext3 is the best for integrity, but the performance turns me off a bit.  i really miss that small file performance of reiserfs.  blows everything else apart (pacman uses many small files for it's package database).

of course some people believe in the conspiracy that windows purposely corrupts these foreign file systems.  actually i believe in this a little, cuz it would explain why my reiserfs dies all the time for no reason (except running xp for a long time before booting linux again)

#4 2004-08-18 16:46:44

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

I am surprised at how often you guys say your journaled filesystems fail.  If you lose the benefit of faster and more accurate fscks, then what's the point?  Personally, I would steer clear of any filesystem where people complain regularly of data corruption.  If my filesystem goes faster 80% of the time and corrupts 20% of the time, I wouldn't want to use it.

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#5 2004-08-18 17:14:53

IceRAM
Website

If your power source is unreliable, you'd better get an UPS. It will also protect you from spikes and will provide you at least 15mins to save your work (which should suffice).

#6 2004-08-18 18:33:18

onami

It is not the power source, it's the hostal's electic network smile !!!

Forever newbie !!!

#7 2004-08-18 19:37:23

sweiss

ReiserFS has yet to fail me. And recently I've had quite some crashes due to various reasons. In fact I'm very bad at noticing differences so I don't know about Ext3.

#8 2004-08-18 20:17:06

neotuli
Lazy Developer
Website

ReiserFS on server
ext3 on regular computer

I chose reiser for the server because I was sorta just trying it out and heard it's good for smaller files..and performance is key on servers. ext3 on my main computer because I've used it before, and it seems quite stable, with no data loss...so far (3 years use here). My home partition is ext3 that i created 3 years ago when I first installed linux, and it is in fine shape, through distro changes, and all sorts of turmoil.

The suggestion box only accepts patches.

#9 2004-08-18 23:20:20

oscar

I use reiserfs on my server(s) and workstations, including a laptop.

since my power supply is quite stable (the house is a ultra tech expensive blah blah blah), I don't have to worry about power failures or anything like it (except for clumsy parents, but they aren't allowed to even look into the wardrobe where I have my servers hehe) - I think I might reconsider my choice once the darn power goes down and my entire filesystem is lost, but until then... smile

To err is human... to really foul up requires the root password.

#10 2004-09-30 02:58:16

thegeekster

I use reisferfs and it seems to work great.............it's survived several power outages and numerous freezes without a major mishap...............as far as I'm concerned, it's stable and fast...... smile

For those interested, I wrote an article at LQ (in their tutorial section), called ReiserFS Data Recovery Tips which deals with file recovery on a reiserfs.............This was after I accidentally deleted a bunch of files by using a wrong command (no, not the infamous "rm -rf /" command)........it seems there is not much material out there dealing with file recovery on reiserfs............

---thegeekster

Open Source, it's about freedom of choice.......
---/me

A computer will do what you tell it to, but that may be much different from what you had in mind.
---Joseph Weizenbaum

#11 2004-09-30 13:44:29

normnmiles

Been using reiserfs for a while and like others have experienced several power outages without losing any data so far.  I am not big into the performance numbers of which filesystem therotically goes faster I am more concerned with whether it works as advertisted and so far reiserfs does just that.  For me it just plain works.

#12 2004-10-01 17:39:27

thegnu
Website

I've been using reiserfs for just about my entire Linux experience.  I have had power shutoffs ruin an ext3 partition (given, it was a large HD), and have had many many many improper shutoffs on my reiserfs partition and never had a problem.

I'm extremely excited about reiser4.

fffft!

#13 2004-10-17 22:41:26

onami

I was using ext3 on a fedora syestem and after a power failure lost /etc/fstab. I even booted with knoppix and did a file system check, and i could not get it back big_smile !!! I am waiting for reiserfs4  8)

Forever newbie !!!

#14 2004-10-18 01:25:51

aCoder
Website

I've had a few bad experiences with reiserfs, but they were minor and mostly related to version differences between installer kernels and system kernels, as far as I can tell.  However, just some little annoyances is enough for me to abandon something entirely, so I went and tried ext3, (I went straight from ext2 to reiserfs), and haven't had a problem since, and find marginally better performance in the thing I personally use my system for, so ext3 is what I currently use.

Filesystems all have thier pros and cons, and there are very few 'must have' standards concerning them, possibly more so than any other component on your PC, and this makes it very much one of those questions best answered with 'What do you want to do with it?'.

If you develop an ear for sounds that are musical it is like developing an ego. You begin to refuse sounds that are not musical and that way cut yourself off from a good deal of experience.
  - John Cage

#15 2004-10-18 04:18:30

luisfelipe

my answer would be both.
Dunno why (really), but right now my /home partition is reiserfs and / is ext3 .
But when reiser4 gets a little bit more tested and widely used (and supported by arch),
I'm thinking about moving the / to it too.

#16 2004-10-19 00:10:08

Zerosleep

I've always used ext3, not really sure why.  Until recently when I moved from slackware to arch, I figured I'd try a different FS.  I haven't really noticed any differences yet, maybe I'll google to see what the real differences are.

Board footer